old school/clasic tkd

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Exactly. You can either go with the flow or constantly fight the upstream battle like a spawning salmon. I prefer to go with the flow.
I dont go with the flow when it comes to anything. I make informed, well researched decisions and make my own opinions. I run a very successful business, and its certainly not because "I went with the flow". Many of these schools go with the flow bacuse they have no idea about how to teach real self defence so they "go with the flow". A cop out if you ask me. Handing out black belts to someone who has never been taught to punch and then splashing "self defence" all over their marketing material is just plain wrong.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
When it comes to martial arts the public usually dont know what they want. They roll up to the local dojo, see a guy in a black belt with half a dozen stripes on it and from there on that guys word is gospel. In Manny's area, for instance, wtf clubs are everywhere and have the market share. In my area, wtf clubs struggle, and the old school clubs have the largest percentge of tkd students. Why? Marketing. It is absolutely ludicrous to suggest that most schools in Manny's area are wtf olympic style schools because "thats what students want".

It is what the Mexican people want.

“Taekwondo is My Life,” says Mexican Taekwondo Federation President
“Taekwondo is No. 1 Sport,” says Puerto Rico Taekwondo President

Taekwondo is rapidly gaining its popularity in Mexico and Puerto Rico, especially after the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, says the presidents of the Mexican and Puerto Rico Taekwondo Federations.

In an interview with the Korean press on May 22, 2009, Mr. Juan Manuel Lopez Delgado, president of the Mexican Taekwondo Federation, and Victor Rivera, president of the Puerto Rico Taekwondo Federation, made the remarks.

The two presidents participated as students in the WTF-organized 66th International Referee Refresher Course in Seoul, Korea on May 22-24, 2009. The event drew 122 international referees from 20 countries.

“Taekwondo is my life. The popularity of taekwondo has been quickly growing after Mexico won two gold medals in taekwondo at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games,” said Mr. Lopez, who became the new president of the Mexican Taekwondo Federation two months ago.

Mexico won two gold medals and one bronze medal overall at the Beijing Olympic Games. Mexico’s Guillermo Perez won the gold medal in the men’s -58kg category and his compatriot Maria del Rosario Espinoza also earned her country the gold medal in the women’s +67kg division.

Saying that about 1.5 million people are practicing taekwondo in Mexico, Mr. Lopez, a 6th Kukkiwon black-belt holder, said he would focus on the professionalization of taekwondo.

The WTF World Taekwondo Tour 2009 Mexico was originally supposed to take place on May 2, 2009 in Mexico City, but it was put off until further notice mainly because of the ongoing swine influenza.

The new Mexican president, who officiated as an international referee in the taekwondo competition at the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games, said that he would also try to foster taekwondo as a martial art.

The president of the Puerto Rico Taekwondo Federation told the Korean media that taekwondo is the most popular sport in the Latin American country.

“Taekwondo is the No. 1 sport in my country. Out of about 4 million people, about 16,000 are practicing taekwondo,” said Mr. Rivera.

“We sent two athletes to the taekwondo competition at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games and one female athlete ranked fifth in her weight category, the highest accomplishment among the 23-member Puerto Rico Olympic delegation,” said Mr. Rivera, who became the president of the Puerto Rico Taekwondo Federation in 2005 and hopes to run for another term.

“We will do our best to win a medal in the taekwondo competition at the 2012 London Olympic Games,” the 7th Kukkiwon black-belt holder said.

The 42-year old president said, “We plan to dispatch a group of national team members to Seoul in June this year for an intensive training.”

Together with Ramon Olivieri, chairman of the Referee Committee of the Puerto Rico Taekwondo Federation, Mr. Rivera said that his federation has provided free classes to poor students.

“Taekwondo is playing a key role in kicking off drugs, women abuse and alcoholism in our country,” he said.

Puerto Rico, which hosted the Pan American Taekwondo Championships in 2008 in a very successful manner, wants to earn the right to organize the Pan American continental qualification taekwondo tournament for the 2012 London Olympic Games.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
"A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go gainst it."
- G.K. Chesterton
Pax,

Chris
Brilliant! Ive always considered the term "go with the flow" as a negative thing. I dont think many successful people out there use the term "go with the flow" when discussing their success.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When it comes to martial arts the public usually dont know what they want. They roll up to the local dojo, see a guy in a black belt with half a dozen stripes on it and from there on that guys word is gospel. In Manny's area, for instance, wtf clubs are everywhere and have the market share. In my area, wtf clubs struggle, and the old school clubs have the largest percentge of tkd students. Why? Marketing. It is absolutely ludicrous to suggest that most schools in Manny's area are wtf olympic style schools because "thats what students want".

If your in Queensland Kukkiwon schools seem to be all over the place. http://www.tkdqld.com/ Also, Queensland's Ali Kahlil was selected at Australian Olympic Team Coach for London 2012.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Brilliant! Ive always considered the term "go with the flow" as a negative thing. I dont think many successful people out there use the term "go with the flow" when discussing their success.

"Flow with whatever is happening and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate." ~ Chuang Tzu

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
If your in Queensland Kukkiwon schools seem to be all over the place. http://www.tkdqld.com/ Also, Queensland's Ali Kahlil was selected at Australian Olympic Team Coach for London 2012.
True. There are kkw clubs everywhere, BUT they are tiny, 20 or 30 students. That is pretty much the norm. We have some big kkw clubs in sydney, where I currently reside. Ive never said kkw clubs dont exist here, they do, but when you are talking big successful clubs over here you are talking about chois, or moon lee, or rhee, or a host of others. Tans would be the only wtf club here thats a 'household name', and thats only because one of the trainers on 'biggest loser' is a 5th dan there and plugs it at every opportunity, and its where lauren burns (gold medalist) trained from memory.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is what the Mexican people want.

:lfao:

So if you interview someone who is the head of a group dedicated to olympic-style sparring, he will tell you that olympic-style sparring is the bees knees...

I bet if you interview a politicians mother, she'll tell you that said politician is a fine human being and you can trust them with your tax money.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score

So if you interview someone who is the head of a group dedicated to olympic-style sparring, he will tell you that olympic-style sparring is the bees knees...

I bet if you interview a politicians mother, she'll tell you that said politician is a fine human being and you can trust them with your tax money.
I thought the same thing. And if you read an interview from the head of the local karate organisation it will start with "the huge increase in karate's popularity is......".

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"flow with whatever is happening". Great advice for kids. Not.

Why not. As far Taekwondo in Mexico goes, it's great advise for children. Going with the flow of Olympic Taekwondo is giving thousands of Mexican children the chance of a lifetime to travel the world and make international friends. Old school Taekwondo, the subject of this tread is not doing very much for Mexican children. Personally if I were teaching in Mexico, I would teach nothing but Olympic sparring.

Mexico seeks six taekwondo places in Youth Olympics

February 18, 2010
Adjust font size:
Mexico hopes to send six taekwondists to the Youth Olympic Games, which take place in Singapore in August, the president of the Mexican Taekwondo Federation Juan Manuel Lopez said on Wednesday.
The federation is confident of winning these places at a pre-Olympic competition set to run from March 3 to 5 in Tijuana, a city in northern Mexico state Baja California, Lopez said.
Six Mexicans won medals in the U.S. Taekwondo Open and the nation is sending a team of 32 to the competition, he added.
"We know that our level in this discipline is strong because many have experience despite their young age," said Lopez.
The Youth Olympics are set to run from Aug. 14 to 26 in Singapore. Mexican sports authorities say they plan to send 50 athletes to the games.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Old school Taekwondo does not get this kind of attention in Mexico. This is why youth in Mexico are in love with Olympic Taekwondo.

[h=1]Mexican City of Puebla to Host 2013 World Taekwondo Championships[/h]
The Mexican city of Puebla won the right to host the 2013 WTF World Taekwondo Championships as it outvoted Croatia’s candidate city of Split at its Council meeting at the Renaissance Hotel in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt on April 2, 2012. The proposed dates for the biennial championships are June 17-23, 2013.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

"I thought the same thing. And if you read an interview from the head of the local karate organisation it will start with "the huge increase in karate's popularity is......".

You don't have to guess on Taekwondo's popularity in Mexico. Just ask the Mexican people what sports athletes bring honor, pride and the most medals to Mexico?

In the 2004 Olympic Summer Games 2 of Mexico’s 4 Olympic medals were from Taekwondo
Olympic Silver Medalist Oscar Salazar – Mexico
Olympic Bronze Medalist Iridia Salazar - Mexico

In the 2008 Olympic Summer Games, 2 of Mexico’s 3 Olympic Medals were from Taekwondo
Olympic Gold Medalist Guillermo Perez Sandoval – Mexico
Olympic Gold Medalist Maria del Rosario Espinoza - Mexico

Again, Olympic Taekwondo gets way more public respect that so-called old school.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't have to guess on Taekwondo's popularity in Mexico. Just ask the Mexican people what sports athletes bring honor, pride and the most medals to Mexico?

So Olympic sparring is popular because people who like olympic sparring like olympic sparring?

Have you ever seen a finer example of circular logic?

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So Olympic sparring is popular because people who like olympic sparring like olympic sparring?

The Mexican people's passion for Taekwondo is great. When Taekwondo provides your nation with the most Olympic medals, it crosses over any sports barriers in to the main stream of sports. Very unlike Taekwondo in the USA. Once, when I was there with the US Team for a big international event, the general population filled the stadium, standing room only, everyday of competition. The crowd roared so loud for Mexico fighters we could not even talk to each other.

Of course, I have only been to Mexico for Taekwondo a handful of times, sometimes for only for a month. So maybe you have some experience about this that I don't and you could expand on that. Here's is a few photo of me in Mexico.

Mexico1.jpg
[/IMG]

With the US National Collegiate Taekwondo Team. Manzanillo, Colima, Mexico. World University Taekwondo Championships.

Mexico2.jpg
[/IMG]

Self explanatory

Mexico3.jpg
[/IMG]

My Team official ID Badge

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Mexican people's passion for Taekwondo is great. When Taekwondo provides your nation with the most Olympic medals, it crosses over any sports barriers in to the main stream of sports. Very unlike Taekwondo in the USA. Once, when I was there with the US Team for a big international event, the general population filled the stadium, standing room only, everyday of competition. The crowd roared so loud for Mexico fighters we could not even talk to each other.

Of course, I have only been to Mexico for Taekwondo a handful of times, sometimes for only for a month. So maybe you have some experience about this that I don't and you could expand on that. Here's is a few photo of me in Mexico.

Mexico1.jpg
[/IMG]

With the US National Collegiate Taekwondo Team. Manzanillo, Colima, Mexico. World University Taekwondo Championships.

Mexico2.jpg
[/IMG]

Self explanatory

Mexico3.jpg
[/IMG]

My Team official ID Badge
Australians are very similar by the sounds. Extremely patriotic and sports crazy. I heard someone say once that if they got two guys throwing a tennis ball to each other and made it an 'event', you could fill the MCG with a hundred thousand screaming fans in australia. Its not too far from the truth. When lauren burns won tkd gold at sydney tkd was everywhere over here.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score

I thought if you asked mexican people what brings pride etc to their country they would say soccer. But thats probably because the people who told me that are soccer fanatics.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

Can you believe that was 15 years ago already?

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by mastercole

Can you believe that was 15 years ago already?

I know. And the Mexican people loved Taekwondo then, today it's much more popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions