Oh yay: Earn Your Black Belt Online Anytime Anywhere

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I'm wandering around a class of forty or fifty people correcting them , it helps me to be able to have a quick glance at their belt , coloured shirt or badge to tell me how advanced they are in the system. This way I can correct or demo techniques from the curriculum that are appropriate for their skill level rather than waste time listening to their whole life story about where they are exactly in their training.

Sure, even unranked styles organize their curriculum in sections or levels. A student may not have a belt but may tell their teacher they are working on drills in Section 3 or something like that.

From a students perspective, especially a new student, it helps to know who you can go to with a question (you can always ask a black belt, etc.)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Cyriacus, since you have been posting in support of both tradition and high standards (something I would also support), I thought you might want to check out the following site:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Manual_of_Style/Capital_letters

BTW, it's nothing personal, Perry. I see you are an Aussie... and I guess I just expect higher standards. We Yanks are probably the worst offenders anywhere when it comes to conventions of grammar, spelling and so forth. LOL

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cyriacus, since you have been posting in support of both tradition and high standards (something I would also support), I thought you might want to check out the following site:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Manual_of_Style/Capital_letters

BTW, it's nothing personal, Perry. I see you are an Aussie... and I guess I just expect higher standards. We Yanks are probably the worst offenders anywhere when it comes to conventions of grammar, spelling and so forth. LOL

This again :)

Universities. Blame them.
The one I was using had some Weird, Weird Capitalization Requirements - In that any Words which were stating High Relevance to a Term, mostly Verbs, you Capitolise the First Letter to Emphasize them.

If I could still Log in to the Site (You need a Student ID) id Post a Copy of the Document. :D
Thing is though, I got so used to doing it that its actually more "Relaxing" and "Automatic" :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This again :)

Universities. Blame them.
The one I was using had some Weird, Weird Capitalization Requirements - In that any Words which were stating High Relevance to a Term, mostly Verbs, you Capitolise the First Letter to Emphasize them.

If I could still Log in to the Site (You need a Student ID) id Post a Copy of the Document. :D
Thing is though, I got so used to doing it that its actually more "Relaxing" and "Automatic" :)

Bluntly, it's hard to read. And, in many professional settings, would be unacceptable. Also -- you're at odds with your own statement. You often capitalize what seems like every other word. Counting here, in your sentence explaining it ("The one I was...."), you have 13 non-standard capital words. There are 33 words total. That's creeping up on half the words... so half the words in the sentence had some sort of "High Relevance?" I lump this idea with things like the phrase "It should be noted..." in police reports. If it shouldn't be noted -- why is it in the report?

If you care to share the name of the university, there style guide might be available on-line even to non-students. For example, George Mason University makes it available here.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bluntly, it's hard to read. And, in many professional settings, would be unacceptable. Also -- you're at odds with your own statement. You often capitalize what seems like every other word. Counting here, in your sentence explaining it ("The one I was...."), you have 13 non-standard capital words. There are 33 words total. That's creeping up on half the words... so half the words in the sentence had some sort of "High Relevance?" I lump this idea with things like the phrase "It should be noted..." in police reports. If it shouldn't be noted -- why is it in the report?

If you care to share the name of the university, there style guide might be available on-line even to non-students. For example, George Mason University makes it available here.

Some People find it hard to Read.
And it wasnt even Questioned in a Resume.
High Relevance more means Higher Relevance.
But personally, typing like this just looks unnatural to me. And feels unnatural. Id prefer to relax when im typing.

Now to Quote Myself, from when I last had this Conversation.

Well, I Apologise for Inconveniencing your Eyes, with the way Letters come accross. :)

The Correct way by some Approaches.
"There are however situations where further capitalization may be used to give added emphasis, for example in headings and titles or to pick out certain words (often using small capitals)"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_case

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emphasis_(typography)#Capitalization
Emphasis on "word of important meaning". Now, I believe that this University simply had a Loose Definition of Important.

Do you have Bad Eyesight, like Poor Tez3, Good Sir?
And their Style Guide thing was attacked to a Learning Resources Document, for One Particular Module.

And im sure it isnt always Consistent when I do it, either. Which is largely Me being Lazy.
But if you Honestly have Trouble reading something due to Capitolisation, then, I Pity You My Good Man.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I looked at the site and found it very odd.

He advertises "karate" yet no where on the site does it say what style of karate it is. Everything is just listed in generic terms. He claims a 7th degree in something, but doesn't say what. Very odd to have no background in "karate" listed, yet offers to give you rank in it.

Rick Iannuzzo began training in the martial arts in 1972 and started teaching in 1975. He has experience in Kenpo, kung fu, kickboxing, weapons, self-defense, boxing, Muay Thai and grappling. In 1979 he achieved the rank of 1st degree black and has since achieved the rank of 7th degree master instructor

What does he mean "has experience"? I wrestled for a short time in junior high, does that mean I have experience in wrestling? I notice he is careful to say "has experience" though and doesn't say he is "ranked in" those arts. But, again, he doesn't list what his first degree or 7th degree is in.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I looked at the site and found it very odd.

He advertises "karate" yet no where on the site does it say what style of karate it is. Everything is just listed in generic terms. He claims a 7th degree in something, but doesn't say what. Very odd to have no background in "karate" listed, yet offers to give you rank in it.

What does he mean "has experience"? I wrestled for a short time in junior high, does that mean I have experience in wrestling? I notice he is careful to say "has experience" though and doesn't say he is "ranked in" those arts. But, again, he doesn't list what his first degree or 7th degree is in.

Maybe this is the TRUE, PURE, REAL KARATE!

Yeah!

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
HA... I can save everyone a lot of time and money and POOF...you're a black belt

My thoughts exactly and to top it off you can also buy a fancy looking certificate to validate that black belt LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
i know another use :)

Take a bunch of unrecognized non legitimately earned blackbelts, sew them together side by side, and presto - you've got a neat little hammock. :D

Latest Discussions