Obligatory New Member Thread

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Just thought I'd take the time to introduce myself:

I'm a practicioner of Historical European Swordsmanship, primarily German Longsword and Italian Rapier, with a little bit of dagger work and Sword & Buckler (I.33) thrown in for variety. I've been studying for a little over two and a half years, and I manage to train about 3-5 times a week.

I look forward to learning from you all! :)

Best regards,

-Mark

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Mark, welcome to MT. You've got a unique background there. I can't wait to hear more.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome on board, Langenschwert ... the waters a little different from MAP but I think you'll love it here :tup:.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey! Another historical Fencer! I was starting to feel lonely here.

We use Marrozzo for sword and buckler, and longsword at my school -- what style to you study?

I have done very little Italian rapier -- Mostly we work on the spanish, and spanish influenced stuff. (The only Italian influence we have is from Marrozzo and Saviolo)

Welcome to MT!

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey, Mark!!

Welcome to MT! The neighborhood is nice and the neighbors are friendly. The Sword Forum includes a wealth of info that cuts across many styles (east/west). You'll also recognize many 'familiar faces' from some other notable forums that you might possible frequent ;)

OP
Langenschwert

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey! Another historical Fencer! I was starting to feel lonely here.

We use Marrozzo for sword and buckler, and longsword at my school -- what style to you study?

I have done very little Italian rapier -- Mostly we work on the spanish, and spanish influenced stuff. (The only Italian influence we have is from Marrozzo and Saviolo)

Welcome to MT!

Hey, good to meet you. :) Right now I'm delving into I.33, and do plan on starting Marrozzo in the future. My longsword study is right now strictly German. Gotta love the Kunst des Fechtens.

You're lucky to be able to study Spanish rapier. Qualified instruction is nearly impossible to find. I was going to concentrate mostly on rapier, but the German longsword snared me with its siren song. I'm really enjoying what S&B I get to do. Even though I'm a left-handed longswordsman and rapierist, I do S&B right-handed for variety, and to make learning it a bit easier.

You're lucky to be in Oregon, Thardey. That's a beautiful part of the world... too bad I haven't had a chance to go yet. Spent a lot of time in Washington as a road muscian, though. :)

Best regards,

-Mark

OP
Langenschwert

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome! I always wanted to try a buckler. We don't really have it in the FMA!

I remember FMA fondly. I did Arnis de Mano for a couple years as a kid. Good stuff... sticks are fun. :)

Buckler is really cool, I think. The tricky part (for me) is keeping the sword and buckler together as a unit, only separating them at the right moment. I've only just started S&B, so I've got next to no proficiency in it. That doesn't make it any less fun, though. :)

Best regards,

-Mark

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk! :)

Mike

Latest Discussions