Obama to get Honorary BB from Kukkiwon.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am proud that our president has shown an interest in TKD. I think that it is great that they gave him a honorary Black Belt if that makes me stoned so be it. It is a positive I see know negative.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Obama showed NO interest in TKD.

the KKW, in yet another example of how low they will go, is just giving him one.

sort of like the Nobel people

i didnt approve when Jhoon Rhee gave Bush 41 an honorary BB, but he was just oNE GUY, these are the people claiming to be THE leaders for TKD worldwide

sport should NOT get involved in politics

EVER

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At the end of the day though, it's the orgs right to award to who they please. They could give him an honorary 10th, wouldn't hurt my ranks any.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Obama showed NO interest in TKD.

the KKW, in yet another example of how low they will go, is just giving him one.

sort of like the Nobel people

i didnt approve when Jhoon Rhee gave Bush 41 an honorary BB, but he was just oNE GUY, these are the people claiming to be THE leaders for TKD worldwide

sport should NOT get involved in politics

EVER

That is PR, sports and politics mingling results in the events of 1980 and 1984. The politics are business as usual, the athletes suffer.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
didn't mean to come across negativly about the the guy, and i understand that they weren't actually awarding him black belt status. i just meant the concept "honorary" dr. or ""honorary" cpt. is an intersting one to me.:asian:

But it does exist. Honorary degrees aren't that uncommon for major political leaders. Obama got an honorary degree from Notre Dame; Zimbabwean leader Robert Mugabe (!!!) got one from the University of Edinburgh; MIT gave Winston Churchill an honorary professorship; and Southampton College gave an honorary doctorate to Kermit the Frog.

Obama didn't go to classes at Notre Dame and Churchill didn't teach classes at MIT. It's just a sign of respect and a gift, nothing more. This is the same.

Latest Discussions