NYPD Shooting

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I almost replied saying apples were better examples to use than pitbulls....... and realized we risk having dueling example models rather than any real substantive difference.

The toughest lesson for any lawyer to learn is when to shut up and sit down.

So......Having nothing new of substance to add, then, I will bid you a good evening!

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I almost replied saying apples were better examples to use than pitbulls....... and realized we risk having dueling example models rather than any real substantive difference.

The toughest lesson for any lawyer to learn is when to shut up and sit down.

So......Having nothing new of substance to add, then, I will bid you a good evening!

Whats really interesting is how this thread suddenly went from discussing the shooting, to riots/protests, to an apple to orange to pitbull debate. And of course, as always, study topics usually result in mixed points of view. Part of that is being able to be somewhat civil and still discuss the topic at hand. Sadly that doesnt seem to be happening here.

Have a good evening. :)

5-0 Kenpo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The 50/10 split, was again, an example. If we want to get technical, we don't know how many people were present, but as I said to 5.0 Kenpo, if someone wants to protest, fine, but do it without violence or threats of.

I think you're missing the point here. Lets use pitbulls as an example. If you took a survey, I'd be willing to bet that the majority of people would say that they'd never own one, that they're a bad breed, etc. But in reality its not the dog, its the way they're treated. But that does not mean every pit is bad. I know someone who has 2 and she says they're the most gentle dogs around. In this case, with the pits, they are labled by a select few that abuse them. Same thing with this case in NYC. Is every protester out of control? No, but why is it any time a protest is going to happen, the police presence is high?

I really don't think that I have to explain this to you though.

Again, all I was trying to point out is how your statement could be very easily misconstrued. I guess my point was missed. And I do not see how people are not being civil. In no way has anyone here insulted anyone else. If I have insulted you somehow, I apologize, and would simply ask what I said that was so insulting.

You make a point of saying any time there is a protest, the police are there because the protesters can get out of control. While this is true, very few protests actually result in violence. Often times, the police are there for such mundane things as traffic and crowd control, not because of potential violence. And remember, sometimes it is not the protesters that start the violence, but those that disagree with them. So the police are there to protect the protest, just as much to protect people from the protesters.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Again, all I was trying to point out is how your statement could be very easily misconstrued. I guess my point was missed. And I do not see how people are not being civil. In no way has anyone here insulted anyone else. If I have insulted you somehow, I apologize, and would simply ask what I said that was so insulting.

Well, its like I always say...any time a discussion takes place on a forum, there is bound to be some confusion, misunderstanding, etc. I'm sure this is the case here. :) No worries, no hard feelings. :)

You make a point of saying any time there is a protest, the police are there because the protesters can get out of control. While this is true, very few protests actually result in violence. Often times, the police are there for such mundane things as traffic and crowd control, not because of potential violence. And remember, sometimes it is not the protesters that start the violence, but those that disagree with them. So the police are there to protect the protest, just as much to protect people from the protesters.

I suppose its going to depend on whats being protested. I don't follow politics much, but I know there have been and I'm sure there still are, protests against the war. Have those been violent? Or have they just resulted in some heat between the 2 sides?

In a case like this shooting, or the beating of Rodney King, I'd say that the chance of violence, etc. being on the high side.

Hey, I wasn't there, so all I have to go on is what I see online. We all know that the media isn't the most reliable source, so I'm sure things have been left out. But, it seems to me that this is a case of someone not wanting to believe that their son could have done anything wrong. Did he? Again, I don't know as I wasnt there.

I simply wanted to carry on the thread with the new findings. The protests are, IMHO, just a sideshow to the main event.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.courant.com/news/nation-world/sns-ap-us-police-shooting-settlement,0,1820567.story

I know this is an old thread, however, I thought I'd post this update that I saw in the paper today.

NEW YORK (AP) — The city of New York has agreed to pay more than $7 million to settle a civil lawsuit stemming from the fatal 50-bullet police shooting of an unarmed man on his wedding day.

The settlement filed in Brooklyn federal court on Tuesday pays $3.25 million to the estate of Sean Bell, who was killed in 2006 outside a strip club in Queens while leaving his bachelor party. As part of the settlement, the city agreed to pay $3 million to Joseph Guzman and $900,000 to Trent Benefield, both of whom were wounded in the shooting that killed their friend.

The lawsuit had accused the city of wrongful death, negligence, assault and civil rights violations.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm going to have to disagree with this matter. If the jury had a sense of responsibility, they would realize, that had the perps simply used a bit of common sense, and not tried to run over the officers, this whole thing wouldn't have happened.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to have to disagree with this matter. If the jury had a sense of responsibility, they would realize, that had the perps simply used a bit of common sense, and not tried to run over the officers, this whole thing wouldn't have happened.

Well, thats the key word right there...common sense.