Failed Terror Attack In NYC.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36892505/ns/us_news-security/

NEW YORK - Investigators on Sunday pored over security video and materials found in an SUV designed to explode in a ball of flame in Times Square the night before for clues to who might have parked the vehicle in the busy tourist destination.
Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said officers were on their way to a town in Pennsylvania to talk to a man who believes he may have recorded a bombing suspect on his video camera. He said a white man in his 40s was seen taking off his shirt in an alley and putting it in a bag.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We all know it is just a matter of time before something of devastating proportion will happen. Fore warned is fore armed, but is that enough??

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Very true. Fortunately the vendors noticed what was going on and alerted the police before anything major happened. Problem is, aside from people being aware, how is something like this able to be prevented in the future? There're countless vehicles parked, unattended, in the street all the time. Any one of them could be a bomb waiting to go off.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Very good point MJS, in the end it will boil down to vigilant citizenry getting involved.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sucks living in the world's most visible city, every nutjob tries to make his point here. I'm glad it was caught. My sister's friend Janet saw the whole hubbub and called to to ask what the hell was going on.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Anyone see the Simpsons tonight? I wonder if anyone is going to get canned at Fox. Yelled at, at the very least.

The Simpsons To Surveil, with Love (New, TVPG) The police install surveillance cameras to curb civil liberties, but the job proves too taxing; The Simpsons

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36892505/ns/us_news-security/

NEW YORK - Investigators on Sunday pored over security video and materials found in an SUV designed to explode in a ball of flame in Times Square the night before for clues to who might have parked the vehicle in the busy tourist destination.
Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said officers were on their way to a town in Pennsylvania to talk to a man who believes he may have recorded a bombing suspect on his video camera. He said a white man in his 40s was seen taking off his shirt in an alley and putting it in a bag.

Tea party time!

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The ONLY thing saving us is the stupidity of the terrorist.

First the shoe bomber...

Then the Christmas (underwear) bomber.

And now this Wall Street bomber.

Oh but don't worry, Janet Napolitano says they were right on top of it and confiscated the bomb! You know like they now have control of it and the world is safe. They knew the guy would be so stupid making the bomb it would not go off and the handy vendor guy saw the smoke, all according to plan!

That’s the same Napolitano that said everything went to plan with stopping the Christmas bomber. They knew a guy from Denmark would stop it. That was part of the plan.

The only bright side is the Talbain seem to have a very hard time coming up with intelligent people. But one day, that might change, or they get lucky.

Tea party time!

Yea, they say he was a Tea Party member named Muhammed.

Deaf

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm just saying...

Where was Glen Beck at the time? He totally fits the profile. As profiling is the right and only way to enforce crime and prevent terrorism...

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very true. Fortunately the vendors noticed what was going on and alerted the police before anything major happened. Problem is, aside from people being aware, how is something like this able to be prevented in the future? There're countless vehicles parked, unattended, in the street all the time. Any one of them could be a bomb waiting to go off.

Not.

Perfect safety is an illusion. No matter how much freedom is given up, you'll still be at risk. Learn to live with it. The odds of dying in a terrorist attack are infinitesimally small, even if a bomb were to explode in a major city every day. You are far more likely to die on your way to work even then.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not.

Perfect safety is an illusion. No matter how much freedom is given up, you'll still be at risk. Learn to live with it. The odds of dying in a terrorist attack are infinitesimally small, even if a bomb were to explode in a major city every day. You are far more likely to die on your way to work even then.

Thats true. I wasn't looking for a solution, as I know there isn't one. The best thing that we can do, is just what I said...be aware. You see something out of the ordinary, report it. Sure it may turn out to be nothing, but its better than doing nothing. Much like the street vendor, being aware just may save some lives. :)

I dont live in a major city, so the odds of a terrorist striking where I live, vs. a place like NYC, LA, etc., are pretty slim. Still, this doesn't mean that we should walk around with our head in our rear end.

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Being aware of your surroundings and reporting anything unusual is of course a good idea. It looks like the bomber wasn'y very competent, the bomb would not have gone off regardless according to press reports, the fertilizer used in the bomb was not very combustible. The FBI tracking down groups that are planning to make bombs before they make the bomb and plant it is likely our best hope, the FBI has prevented a lot of these attacks from happening according to news reports.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm just saying...

Where was Glen Beck at the time? He totally fits the profile. As profiling is the right and only way to enforce crime and prevent terrorism...
White people can't be Muslim? Only a Muslim group has claimed responsibility... Wow, nice example of racism.

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sucks living in the world's most visible city, every nutjob tries to make his point here. I'm glad it was caught. My sister's friend Janet saw the whole hubbub and called to to ask what the hell was going on.

Every New Year's Eve, I keep thinking, somone is going to blow up Time's Square. Scary thought, but not imposible.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The attack only fails if we refuse to be terrorized. Terrorist bombs don't create terrorism; our responses do.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As profiling is the right and only way to enforce crime and prevent terrorism...

I agree, You are right, and since hardcore liberals, in a desperate attempt to retain control of office are fare more likely to stage something and blame it on a tea party group, we need to start rounding them up and putting them in camps, yes?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree, You are right, and since hardcore liberals, in a desperate attempt to retain control of office are fare more likely to stage something and blame it on a tea party group, we need to start rounding them up and putting them in camps, yes?
No way. They're too busy setting fire to GMO crops.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Has anyone claimed responsibility yet?

If it's claimed by the news to be Al-Quaeda, my hunch is it's a plant( gasoline and propane together are a very poor ignition/accelerant combo and I have it from those whose business it is to know such things that no professional would use those two together).

If they say it was a Tea Party member, my hunch is It's a plant. (again, anyone determined to do such a thing would research enough to know not to put those two components together making them essentially nonlethal as "mass destruction" goes)

The only way I *might* believe it wasn't a plant was if it turned out to be an outlying, amateur branch of a terrorist group such as would not have access to the major training areas.

But again, has anyone even come forward yet?

Latest Discussions