Number of KKW BB's & 9th Dans worldwide?

StagTown

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
1st Dan: 1306
2nd Dan: 404
3rd Dan: 172
4th Dan: 70
5th Dan: 27
6th Dan: 7
7th Dan: 1
8th Dan: 0
9th Dan: 0
Total Dan: 1987

1st Poom: 597
2nd Poom: 93
3rd Poom: 4
Total Poom: 694

Total Poom and Dan: 2681

those figs must be from a while back....Tony Vohra based in Nottinghams an 8th dan with the kukkiwon and I know of 2 7th dans on the btcb tecnical.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
those figs must be from a while back....Tony Vohra based in Nottinghams an 8th dan with the kukkiwon and I know of 2 7th dans on the btcb tecnical.

So is Grandmaster Shin Tong Wan, but as Puunui wrote "These numbers come from the Kukkiwon 25th anniversary book, published in 1997". Actually, I'm sure I read that there was now a 3rd 8th Dan in the UK (the first one born in the UK) but I can't remember who...

I assume the 7th Dans you're thinking of are Ian Lennox and Neil Guest? There's also T.K. Loh who is now a 9th Dan, but I don't know if he is still living in the UK.

Nice to have another UKer on the board :)

aftab

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The UK has a few more 7th Dans if my memory serves me correctly...some belong to the UKTDC and some are totally independent

A couple of other names come to mind when I think of 9th Dans in the UK: GM Fred Lee (retired in the Yorkshire area?) and GM JH Yoon 9th Dan of the AWTC (who lives between the UK & Korea)

It would be great to see an up to date list of UK Kukkiwon Dan holders.

StagTown

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So is Grandmaster Shin Tong Wan, but as Puunui wrote "These numbers come from the Kukkiwon 25th anniversary book, published in 1997". Actually, I'm sure I read that there was now a 3rd 8th Dan in the UK (the first one born in the UK) but I can't remember who...

I assume the 7th Dans you're thinking of are Ian Lennox and Neil Guest? There's also T.K. Loh who is now a 9th Dan, but I don't know if he is still living in the UK.

Nice to have another UKer on the board :)

I think im right in saying Master Mike McKenzie is also a 7th

GM Fred Lee (retired in the Yorkshire area?)
Ive not looked at the BTA website in some time but I remember GM Lee from my time with the association in the late 70s....seem to remember him being pictured in a national newspaper around that time with his foot halfway up a lampost......im thinking Grand Master Tony Quigley must be very high up the ranks also.

RonMarlow

White Belt
Reaction score
GM Satwinder Singh "Tony" Vorha in Nottingham is KKW 8th Dan.

http://www.martialartsvohra.com/html/gm_vohra_s_bio-data.html
cover_small_sep_07.jpg

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think im right in saying Master Mike McKenzie is also a 7th

I took the Kukkiwon Instructor's Course with him. Good guy. There were a lot of participants from the UK that year for some reason, I want to say at least ten. They didn't all get along. I remember one of the UK seniors was commenting on a couple of the UK juniors, saying they were like "Dustmen". I still don't know what that means.

StagTown

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I remember one of the UK seniors was commenting on a couple of the UK juniors, saying they were like "Dustmen". I still don't know what that means.
ime it normally relates to someones attire, dustmen in there job get dirty so maybe the juniors where a bit below par on there uniform?

bests stagtown

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
ime it normally relates to someones attire, dustmen in there job get dirty so maybe the juniors where a bit below par on there uniform? bests stagtown

It might have been their regular clothes. Everyone had the same dobok pretty much.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All I know my sone reminded me of the only 12th degree we have ever saw, we was in Atlanta when the USTU was there the last time and this gentleman son was six and wasa 4th and his father was a 12 degree. Man by now he is probaly already a 20th and looking for serious only TKD to be at his school.:rofl:

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Heck... we have a 14th degree in our town.... He adds all his degrees together. He is a 7th tkd, 4th Hapkido and 2nd Kumdo at the time he advertised in the yellow pages as a 14th degree. Of course now he is highre ranks so I dont know what he considers himself?!!!

All I know my sone reminded me of the only 12th degree we have ever saw, we was in Atlanta when the USTU was there the last time and this gentleman son was six and wasa 4th and his father was a 12 degree. Man by now he is probaly already a 20th and looking for serious only TKD to be at his school.:rofl:

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u

I have been involved in the USTU for it's entire existence and been to so many USTU, WTF and Kukkiwon related events that I can not remember them all, but I have never ran across anyone within that very large circle claiming over 9th degree, and very few have claimed that. No one in this group would do such a thing, they would be laughed out the place. Everyone knows that 9th is high as you can go.

As a matter of fact, no one in this group really cares about rank and never brings it up. It matters more about who you are and what you have done, and what you will do in the future that counts. Dan rank never counted in this group and really still does not count for much.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been involved in the USTU for it's entire existence and been to so many USTU, WTF and Kukkiwon related events that I can not remember them all, but I have never ran across anyone within that very large circle claiming over 9th degree, and very few have claimed that. No one in this group would do such a thing, they would be laughed out the place. Everyone knows that 9th is high as you can go.

As a matter of fact, no one in this group really cares about rank and never brings it up. It matters more about who you are and what you have done, and what you will do in the future that counts. Dan rank never counted in this group and really still does not count for much.

Master Cole he was not USTU, he was at the Atkanta Junior Games I believe this was back in 04-05. We all laughed at him and tola his son to join the other BB's that was in holding. When he was called to holding he had 12 stripes down each side of his belt and when he left me and the gentleman in holding just shook our heads and let it go.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yes, no one talked about rank at USTU events, at least not the seniors. I don't think I have seen any of the seniors with stripes on their belts either.

Latest Discussions