Any disadvantage of turning the crook cane around and use the round side of the crook handle to hit?

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Hi Everyone

Sorry to have to make a new threat, it's very important info for me.

I have just a simple question, is there any disadvantage of hitting with the round side of the crook handle. I do 2 hands swing, I need to use a heavy cane to get the stopping power. I am just thinking if I turn the crook cane around and use the round side of the crook handle to hit, is there any danger of the crook tip accidental catching on cloths or other things and snatch the cane from my hands?

I want to hear from people that actually have experience in hitting with the round side of the crook handle.

The advantage is I can get a thick wood cane and it can be quite heavy to swing and hit even it's only about 16 to 18oz.

Thanks

Alan
 
Anyone?

I tried hitting on heavy bags, I notice if I don't squeeze my hand tight while hitting, the hook end would turn towards the bad, which reduce the force hitting the bag. I really don't like the feel.

I just want to hear from people that actually hitting with the OTHER END of the hook( not hitting with the hook end) how they feel.
 
There are not going to be many people who have belted a guy with the crook end of a cane.

Now if you want to talk about a Motorola radio. Then I am your guy

Screenshot_20260515_140628_Google.webp
 
I think it is potentially a workable approach. The problem is the risk of the hook turning towards your opponent and getting caught. (Either the hook inadvertently getting stuck or the opponent deliberately grabbing the hook, which would give them an advantage in pulling it away from you.)

With enough experience, you could potentially turn that into an advantage, using the hook to control your opponent. But I wouldn't want to risk it without a lot of practice dealing with that position. Even though I've done my share of weapon sparring, I've never sparred using the hook on a cane. That's the sort of thing you really need to discover the opportunities and pitfalls through experimentation and trial-and-error. Since you are mostly training solo, I wouldn't risk it in a real fight.
 
I think it is potentially a workable approach. The problem is the risk of the hook turning towards your opponent and getting caught. (Either the hook inadvertently getting stuck or the opponent deliberately grabbing the hook, which would give them an advantage in pulling it away from you.)

With enough experience, you could potentially turn that into an advantage, using the hook to control your opponent. But I wouldn't want to risk it without a lot of practice dealing with that position. Even though I've done my share of weapon sparring, I've never sparred using the hook on a cane. That's the sort of thing you really need to discover the opportunities and pitfalls through experimentation and trial-and-error. Since you are mostly training solo, I wouldn't risk it in a real fight.
I think you could also jump in to the weeds with a bunch of trapping ideas that you would never use.

Karambit disease.
 
I think it is potentially a workable approach. The problem is the risk of the hook turning towards your opponent and getting caught. (Either the hook inadvertently getting stuck or the opponent deliberately grabbing the hook, which would give them an advantage in pulling it away from you.)

With enough experience, you could potentially turn that into an advantage, using the hook to control your opponent. But I wouldn't want to risk it without a lot of practice dealing with that position. Even though I've done my share of weapon sparring, I've never sparred using the hook on a cane. That's the sort of thing you really need to discover the opportunities and pitfalls through experimentation and trial-and-error. Since you are mostly training solo, I wouldn't risk it in a real fight.
That's exactly what I am afraid of. I pretty much gave up this idea after a 5min session on the bag. I notice when I hit hard using the round side of the crook( not the pointing side), when I land hard, the pointing side kind of rotate in my hand and the pointing side rotate toward the bag. This will reduce the force. I have to really squeeze hard upon contact. It just doesn't feel right.

My whole point is trying not to use a 28oz cane. But yesterday I made a 20oz lighter aluminum cane and practice, I can hit so much faster, recover, hit another few strikes. I was really surprised. Before, every time I feel comfortable with the weight of the cane, I increase it. So it's always feel slow to me, never walking back to a lighter cane to see the difference in the speed I can generate. I actually making some canes that's only 20oz.

I am not sure the hit is lighter with a lighter cane as the speed makes up the difference.
 
I actually practiced for a few days on heavy bag and in air. I can get used to it. I can use a more common cane about 20oz and still give a good hitting. Only thing is it still feel strange when I try to turn the cane around to jab and poke.

It definitely provide me an option particular when I travel by plane.
 
Back
Top