No retreat in Wing Chun ?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Over the years I was told by several of my instructors " That there is no retreat in Wing Chun "
But strictly speaking it is not true is it , granted I can't think of any techniques where a full backwards step is taken.

But I can think of a few where you shift back a few inches or take half a step back , or even pivoting back with a step to yield to a greater force .

Most of these are used strategically to cause the opponent to over extend themselves and lose balance or pull them into a waiting strike.

What are your thoughts on this subject Wing Chun / Wing Tsun brethren ?

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been taught that same thing. In a way it is true, as "retreating" for a WC person means just a shift to create space. Well trained WC guys don't step straight back though, which you do see in other sytems when they are pressed on the center.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like to fight using my common sense. So if I need to retreat, I will. Just depends on the situation. There are plenty of times where charging in will get you hurt. Like a larger opponent or a weapon. Just to name a few.
Jake

tenzen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was taught this same thing. Although I was also told that it refers to achieving such skill that you can difuse/disperse whatever energy comes at you. Also it applies to life in general, stand your ground take what comes at you and deal with it accordingly.
There is a saying that goes "even when facing a thousand enemies I will smile" I believe that is the same thing as saying no retreat.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Over the years I was told by several of my instructors " That there is no retreat in Wing Chun "

I was taught the same thing... although we do turn aside or yield ground with short steps if pressed back. Generally when the opponent gives us an opening or withdraws, we step forward, if he presses back forcefully, we ride the force back, withdrawing our front foot and flowing back into "character two" stance (aka "yee gee kim yeung ma" or "IRAS") and turning to dissolve the force. Sometimes we also use a bit of a "crab-step' or lateral step with the turn. With a very forceful opponent, the cumulative effect of this is that you do yield ground, but you never stop exerting your forward pressure. I think this relentless forward pressure, even when giving ground, is what the "no retreat" motto is referring to.

Otherwise I'm with Jake on this. Common sense is good to have!

Reaction score
What if i say i'm not like the others , what if i say i'm not just another one , I see your face , you're a pretender what if i say i will never surrender? ` Foo fighters.

Well if i'm forced to retreat its because i need to come back stronger?

i heard this saying from a budo ryu school instructor during an interview , she said , when you're out matched or outnumbered , the best defense is to not be there. Come back stronger.

OP
mook jong man

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was taught the same thing... although we do turn aside or yield ground with short steps if pressed back. Generally when the opponent gives us an opening or withdraws, we step forward, if he presses back forcefully, we ride the force back, withdrawing our front foot and flowing back into "character two" stance (aka "yee gee kim yeung ma" or "IRAS") and turning to dissolve the force. Sometimes we also use a bit of a "crab-step' or lateral step with the turn. With a very forceful opponent, the cumulative effect of this is that you do yield ground, but you never stop exerting your forward pressure. I think this relentless forward pressure, even when giving ground, is what the "no retreat" motto is referring to.

Otherwise I'm with Jake on this. Common sense is good to have!

I reckon you are spot on there , it has to be about the forward pressure even when physically moving back , I don't really think it could refer to anything else
Because in a lot of circumstances it just makes damn good sense tactically to shift back a few inches.

We have a technique called shift and advance that used to be taught to juniors to deflect a side kick to the gut with a cut down from the guard .

In ordinary circumstances cutting down on the back of somebodies calf muscle with your forearm might result in a bit of a clash , but when used in conjunction with a shift back a few inches (just enough to make them miss) the result is a rather efficient deflection , and of course after he has extended his kicking leg and hit air you charge straight back in.

You could also use it against a knife slash to the mid section , shift back , make him miss , and charge straight back in before he has a chance to recover.
Its only a slight momentary shuffle back but you have full control of your balance and are able to explode straight back in again.

There's also about two traps in chi sau that I can think of that use a half step back , usually used against somebody who is bullishly pushing forward .

What these have in common is that the opponent is over committing and wants to go forward so we just let him go forward but add an off balancing technique such as sinking our bridge on his arms as we move back , the result is he gets pulled straight down into a strike .

I think its just another tactic to employ when you encounter resistance , rather like using pivoting , it just adds another force vector into the mix that the opponent has to deal with .

For example if I'm trying to latch the guys arm down to hit him but he is tensing his arm up and resisting then I can pivot and pull his arm down that way .

Or I can take half a step back and do it that way , he is only prepared to deal with the one force vector of my arm pressing down on his , but when I pivot , his arm and body is now getting pulled slightly out to the side and his body off balance from the pivot as well as his arm being pulled down.

Same with stepping back , his arm is getting pulled down , but he is also getting pulled forward and off balance at the same time , makes it very hard to resist when two force vectors are acting at once.

So in my opinion shifting back is related to the use of multiple force vectors in Chum Kiu same as pivoting .

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
But strictly speaking it is not true is it , granted I can't think of any techniques where a full backwards step is taken.

But I can think of a few where you shift back a few inches or take half a step back , or even pivoting back with a step to yield to a greater force .

Most of these are used strategically to cause the opponent to over extend themselves and lose balance or pull them into a waiting strike.

They say the same thing in Xingyiquan however there are a few moves that are definitely backing up. However those moves also have strikes (attacks) in them. Xingyiquan philosophy is attack is defense and defense is attack.

Could it be Wing Chun is similar in this approach and that is what they are talking about?

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
To paraphrase Sifu John Wang:

In Taiji classic they say never to attack first.

However, if you sleep with a taiji master's wife, you'd better believe he'll attack first. :)

All pieces of combat are situation dependent, even retreat.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
This kind of reminds me of something my old si-sok told me once.
He said "in WT we never spin, and when we do we spin quickly"

He was showing how to deal with an arm lock where someone is cranking/barring your arm up behind your back. He showed the spin with a rear gum sau attack to the groin, as an "oh crap" technique for when you had been caught off guard

tenzen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Faisal she isn't reaally a she and budo ryu is a joke. Even the name makes no sense. This was talked about in another thread. And yes the best thing is to not be there but if your in that situation guess what, your there.

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

You can retreat to absorb pressure, give way or create space, specially beginners. Forceful attacks hurt quite a lot, and getting out of the way is sometimes an alternative.

The thing is that you need special footwork and alignment mechanisms to step back and keep forward structure. Otherwise, it is lost.

In Chi Sao, though, lateral movement is preferable; forward through the centerline is even better!

Hope that helps!

Reaction score
Hmm tenzen I'm not the best person to say budo ryu is a good art or not because i really haven't studied into it , but i guess you're right , when you gotta fight you gotta fight.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
A retreat is a move designed to garner space to recover. If someone is pressing on your center, retreating back is not going to achieve the desired effect. There will be no reset so you can come back stronger unless you are fighting someone who is inexperienced in fighting. Experienced fighters from all training tpes will press the advantage when they get it. If you are backing up, you are recovering and your energy is split. Two undesirable states. I am not saying there are no circumstances where backing up is not the correct choice. However, backing up is a lot less desireable than what I see coming out of practitioners of many other fighting systems.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The tyranny of words deserves care. Retreat is such a word. provided the ygkym training is good you can take a stepback under pressure and simultaneously strike or evn throw, IMO. In our chum kiu after double palm and heun there is step back.

joy chaudhuri

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Retreat is an act or process of withdrawing or receding from a position or state attained; the forced withdrawal from an enemy or from an advanced position

Yield is To give way to pressure or force

Maintain is to Cause or enable a condition to continue

The wing chun principle of no retreat means to never have loss of contact. It does not mean to never yield against pressure or movement in order to maintain positional control.

If no retreat means to never give/yield or to never step back or the the side then much of Chum Kiu and Bil Jee training is a waste of time. What is the spirit of Bong Sao if not to yield to pressure yet maintain control?

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A tough one this, I too had always been told about never going backwards in WC.

But for me (who isnt that great) it is pretty difficult not to buckle under pressure and start running backwards lol.

More Chi Sau required for me I think.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
What Joy said, 1 step is part of our forms.
But also like said before and imo ... every situation is different and if you make mistake use the step or recover, never more than 3 steps. Stepping is part of the triangle, forward or backwards.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
The wing chun principle of no retreat means to never have loss of contact.

This may be a matter of semantics, but "No retreat" is not a principal - it is a maxim or saying. Principal is supposed to be something more equivalent to a universal law.

Also, i disagree. Wing Chun can and does break contact when it is to our advantage, either to advance or retreat.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's something to keep in mind about sticking. When fighting or sparring with another WC practitioner, contact will be easier to maintain. Why, because the WC opponent plays the same game of maintaing contact. When fighting non WC opponents this becomes more difficult if not impossible. An experienced fighter will not let you stick or maintain contact without making you pay for it. The main objective in a fight is to strike and hurt the opponent. Sticking should only be a tool to achieve this.

Jake

Latest Discussions