Question on Turning

rogersouthbay

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
I've just started Wing Chun, and have a question on turning.

The school I go to teaches, When turning to right, lift the left foot and put it down facing right, which makes my right foot naturally follow and turn to the right as well. Is this a correct way to turn? The reason I am ask is because first I see many accomplished Chunners use their heels to turn either side. To me, turning on heels make more sense because that way you are maintaining constant contact with the ground and also I feel a lot less unnecessary vertical movement when turning on heels. When lifting a foot to turn to a side, however, I feel all my weight is being supported by the other foot and this kind of forces me to adjust and shift weight. Hope i am describing this clear. Can anyone comment on this, please..

izeqb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
I've just started Wing Chun, and have a question on turning.

The school I go to teaches, When turning to right, lift the left foot and put it down facing right, which makes my right foot naturally follow and turn to the right as well. Is this a correct way to turn? The reason I am ask is because first I see many accomplished Chunners use their heels to turn either side. To me, turning on heels make more sense because that way you are maintaining constant contact with the ground and also I feel a lot less unnecessary vertical movement when turning on heels. When lifting a foot to turn to a side, however, I feel all my weight is being supported by the other foot and this kind of forces me to adjust and shift weight. Hope i am describing this clear. Can anyone comment on this, please..

I can't say if your school is right or wrong... but I can tell you that we turn on the heels... or rather, on the part of the foot there's just before the heel (if your toes was the start).

We do this because (just as you say) we want to maintain our heels planted to the floor at all times, to maintain balance.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Different lineages have different methods of pivoting , and you will hear viable arguments put up for each method.

In our lineage we pivot on the middle of our foot , this increases the surface area in contact with the ground making the stance more stable.
It also makes the body rotate around a central axis so that the centre of gravity is in the middle.

All I can say is that whatever method you use it should be solid , that is resistant to any outside force as you are pivoting .

If you are able to be pushed back out of your stance as you are pivoting then you have a problem.
If you are throwing a pivot and punch at a kick shield held by a large person and you are bouncing off then you have a problem.

Similarly if you can be pulled forward out of your stance as you are pivoting then you have a problem.

The stance has to be solid at all points through out the pivot otherwise it is useless.
As you pivot you could probably get someone to apply pressure on you with a slight push on your body from random directions , if you are able to keep your body weight central and resist these pushes with relatively ease then your on the right track.

OP
R

rogersouthbay

White Belt
Reaction score
If you are able to be pushed back out of your stance as you are pivoting then you have a problem.
If you are throwing a pivot and punch at a kick shield held by a large person and you are bouncing off then you have a problem.

Similarly if you can be pulled forward out of your stance as you are pivoting then you have a problem.

The stance has to be solid at all points through out the pivot otherwise it is useless.
As you pivot you could probably get someone to apply pressure on you with a slight push on your body from random directions , if you are able to keep your body weight central and resist these pushes with relatively ease then your on the right track.

thanks for the great tips and check list.. I find this very helpful.

Reaction score
I've never had any problems with pivoting but i think it comes naturally to me , i think Mr. MJM has actually described it very well , i'd take that advice roger.

Latest Discussions