Knives

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its my birthday in a little while and I want a set of Knives as my present.

Now it seems when I look at Google I get all sorts of "Butterfly" knive, Bart Jam Dao or whatever!!

I want to get the right ones for Wing Chun. Now I would go to Everythingwingchun but postage is too expensive to the UK.

Anyone tell which ones are WC knives and any UK guys...where did you get yours??

Also I realise I am way too early for knives but they will decorate my training room until I get there, if I dont get them now then I possibly never will.

OP
bully

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats the problem, I am not sure exactly what I need.

I have comments in threads saying stuff like "Ah but they are not WC knives, they are ****** style knives" or "The blade needs to be xx" for it to be a WC knife" or "The Handle is all wrong" etc

I dont want to get a pair and for them to be, I dunno, Choy Li Fut Knives or something and not be the correct ones for WC. Already on the site Colibri posted (cheers for that btw) there are 2 different blade lengths...aghhhhhhhhhhh

They all look the same to me ;-)

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're right, there are different types of knives, depending on the lineage.
In our lineage, the handle is even with the spine of the blade, where some use a handle that is in the middle of the blade width.
Ask your sifu which ones your lineage uses, or try to find a picture from the internet of someone from your WC family using them.
As you said, some are not used in WC at all, they are more for Hung Gar or CLF, but www.wle.com has a pretty good cross section of knives so you can see the difference, as does everythingwingchun. Even if you don't order from them, at least you'll know what you're looking at.

altbus1

White Belt
Reaction score
Just a question is there a great difference training with butterfly swords or Kali sticks?
I would think many techniekes are the same.
Sorry for bumping the thread. :)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just a question is there a great difference training with butterfly swords or Kali sticks?
I would think many techniekes are the same.
Sorry for bumping the thread. :)

Heck yeah, there's a difference. Them knife thingies is sharp!

Seriously, although some aspects do transfer over, I personally see more connection to my VT hand techniques than to my (eskrima) stick-work... but I still have a lot to learn about the Bart Cham Dao.