No Closed Fist Strikes?

sempai little1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Xue, you are most definatley more experienced, as I am only 1 1/2 years into my training and a mere Nana Kyu. It's nice to know I've got a little bit of a clue in my thinking, though! Thank you.

There is no such thing as a "mere" anything.
Be proud of what you are and say with confidence. "I am a Nana Kyu".
As I am sure you are very proud of your rank.
Your friend,
Sempai Little1 :wavey:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a "mere" anything.
Be proud of what you are and say with confidence. "I am a Nana Kyu".
As I am sure you are very proud of your rank.
Your friend,

Agreed, sorry I missed that before

For the record, I'm a CMA guy and have no rank at all :asian:

EDIT:

What is a Nana Kyu?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Although I appreciate the responses...3rd under and 7th still mean little to me.

Is there a color of the belt and/or a stripe involved, remember I am old and a CMA guy :D

In my Jujitsu days there was only White, Green, Brown and Black with various stripes in between and my TKD days were only different because they threw a yellow belt in between white and green...I'M OLD you know :D

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Although I appreciate the responses...3rd under and 7th still mean little to me.

Is there a color of the belt and/or a stripe involved, remember I am old and a CMA guy :D

Many use 9 or 10 before black belts.

So 7th up or 3 under tries to give you a feel for them being in the middle or upper middle of the colored belt ranks.

But that is just my rough estimate. ;)

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So they graded 7 times.
In our style we count backwards with the kyu belts so a 7th kyu would have graded 3 times. so we work from 10th kyu to 1st kyu, that is when you become a Black Belt candidate.

Your friend,

No... Nana-kyu means 7th kyu.

Japanese IIRC doesn't have the same word for seventh & seven, as say fifth & five ...

They could've graded anywhere from 1 time to 3 or however long they take to reach that level. It's just a number...

Jyu-kyu 10th
Kyu-kyu 9th
Hachi-kyu 8th
Nana-kyu 7th
ik-kyu

then

shodan

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

In my Jujitsu days there was only White, Green, Brown and Black with various stripes in between and my TKD days were only different because they threw a yellow belt in between white and green...I'M OLD you know :D

It'd probably be a white belt or maybe a green belt most likely relating to jujutsu days.

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
First, Xue and SL1, I am very proud of my rank, because it represents a lot of work and learning for me. But thanks for the slap on the wrist to remind me to stand tall!

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this...Sean is right, NanaKyu is 7th under black or white with three green stripes. This page on our club website lists our ranking system, here.

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
also, posting to the uechi ryu forums led to some interesting conversations...not all related, (here's the thread if you want to check it as a visitor). A summary of some interesting points (I've used initials to identify posters and summarized some points, please go to thread if you wish more information):

OP: asked about history as well as whether ability to grab is one reason for more open fist techniques.

FC-The only place fists appear is in Kanshiwa, back in 77-78 when I learned it we used shokens. After striking with the shoken we quickly opened our fist so we could block and grab. [...]To me it is what you want it to be. Do you use a hammer to bang in or pull out a nail. Your tool your choice.

MA-If you look closer at Sanchin ,you will see/ feel closed fists ,along with shokens etc,etc, basicaly Sanchin contains changing hands .Fist formulations are within that structure ,other kata simply utilise component aspects of sanchin in different tactical useage " lack of fists then becomes the uechi trademark " but you could quite easy create other tactical usage that Sanchin offers incorperating [fists ] if you can create things from your on going study as you progress

MH-What is a fist? Shoken, hiraken, and seiken are all fists. It's the same fist, used differently, for backfist and hammerfist strikes. Did you mean to zero in on seiken-tsuki? The only seiken-tsuki in Uechi is the modern-day kanshiwa, and as has been previously pointed out, it is also practiced with shoken-tsuki instead of seiken-tsuki. [...]Regardless of whether one thinks of seiken-tsuki as a real Uechi technique or just a borrowed one, the emphasis compared to other styles of karate could not be more different. In Shorin-Ryu we used seiken-tsuki as the ikken hissatsu technique of choice, directed at any one of a dozen or so vulnerable targets, and since not all of them were quite so soft, we relied on our conditioning and our skill to protect our hands from injury. Uechi, IMO, does not labor under this ikken hissatsu idea, and when it appears, seiken-tsuki is just another way of striking a soft target with something hard.

JH-One should examine the differences to understand the use of the tools....
===========
Some differences:
Range--Fists are longer than palms
Spear hand is longer than fists
Spears can split incoming force
Fists can protect the fingers--palms can expose the fingers
Fists are sharp--have points, palms are blunt
Fists are rooted in the primal brain
Fists create tension and stiffness in parts of the arms and mind
Palms are more loose, relaxed and not as tense in the mind and body as are fists
==========
Fists represent a small percentage of the tool-set in many Chinese arts..
It should be noted that "fists" or open handed tools may be used to both give and receive energy, e.g. offense and defense, best executed simultaneously..

VC-This is a good read on punches

There are some other discussions on techniques, etc. But these are the main points to the OP

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fists represent a small percentage of the tool-set in many Chinese arts..
It should be noted that "fists" or open handed tools may be used to both give and receive energy, e.g. offense and defense, best executed simultaneously..

In the south, this is very true. Not exclusive, but very true.

Latest Discussions