Back fist strike.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am half kidding. If you look on my faceboook page, I did a little vid where the final move is a straight back knuckle that you step up to. It will drop someone. :)

I don't doubt that it will. I would never consider any of my techniques as 'final' until they stop getting up / attacking me. Just a little something that life has taught me. Certainly I throw the backfist with bad intent, and it may very well be a fight-ender. I just don't plan that it will be; phase 2 is already enroute. If I don't need to deliver it, at least it was ready.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am half kidding. If you look on my faceboook page, I did a little vid where the final move is a straight back knuckle that you step up to. It will drop someone. :)

You should practice you combinations with an entry and an exit. If they drop part he way through the combination then great. If they don't you are not effected.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Blocked a backfist with my face about a month ago, jaw is still not right.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the backfist when working unpadded/ungloved with people.... but it tends to split the skin of the face/head. Maybe that's why it is illegal, combined with where the padding is? No clue about that. There's going to be a pugilism historian who will be able to say, I'm sure. Personally, I had better accuracy for some reason with a backfist vs a jab and I don't know why. Probably some flaw in my jab technique, I suppose. Still, to say a backfist lacks power would be flawed, IMO. A long time ago (don't complete the quote) my 1st black belt demo I did a simple front-hand backfist break with 2 boards, it's not hard if the technique at impact is lined up (TKD backfist, strike with 1st 2 knuckles, not the actual back of the hand exposing the metacarpals, for me that's a bad idea). Maybe some folks would not consider mine an actual "back" fist, I do't know. I know a guy who regularly uses what I'd call a hammerfist, but horizontally, and he calls that a backfist. *shrug*

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like the backfist when working unpadded/ungloved with people.... but it tends to split the skin of the face/head. Maybe that's why it is illegal, combined with where the padding is? No clue about that. There's going to be a pugilism historian who will be able to say, I'm sure. Personally, I had better accuracy for some reason with a backfist vs a jab and I don't know why. Probably some flaw in my jab technique, I suppose. Still, to say a backfist lacks power would be flawed, IMO. A long time ago (don't complete the quote) my 1st black belt demo I did a simple front-hand backfist break with 2 boards, it's not hard if the technique at impact is lined up (TKD backfist, strike with 1st 2 knuckles, not the actual back of the hand exposing the metacarpals, for me that's a bad idea). Maybe some folks would not consider mine an actual "back" fist, I do't know. I know a guy who regularly uses what I'd call a hammerfist, but horizontally, and he calls that a backfist. *shrug*
If he is big and mean, let him call it what he wants, but if he is smaller, tell him the word," back", indicates you are hitting with the back of something. :)

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"If he is big and mean, let him call it what he wants, but if he is smaller, tell him the word," back", indicates you are hitting with the back of something."

That's good advice for lots of such things, right there. If they're big and mean, just let them go on down the road, away from you....