New York's Sept 11 museum to display hijacker perspective

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
New York's Sept 11 museum to display hijacker perspective

By Joan Gralla Joan Gralla Fri Sep 11, 7:52 am ET Yahoo News/Reuters EXCERPT:
NEW YORK – A museum dedicated to the September 11 attacks will display written quotations drawn from "martyrdom" videos made by the hijackers, along with witness testimonials that will be screened to prevent sympathizers from praising the perpetrators, museum officials said on Thursday.
Previous attempts to put into context the motivation of the men who used hijacked passenger planes to attack the United States on September 11, 2001, have been met with emotional public opposition, with politicians canceling plans for an "International Freedom Center" in 2005.
But the president of the National September 11 Memorial & Museum said photographs of the 19 hijackers would be displayed along with the quotes as part of the "witness testimony" in the museum.
The memorial and museum are planned for the World Trade Center site undergoing reconstruction in lower Manhattan. The underground museum should open by 2013.
Museum president Joe Daniels told reporters the exhibit would present the facts, focusing on "what happened on that day, why it happened, what does it mean to live in a 9/11 world."
"Let the perpetrators speak for themselves," Daniels said.
END EXCERPT
Lets have a Lee Harvey Oswald Wing at the JFK presidential Library too...

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or a John Wilkes Booth display at the Lincoln Memorial...

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Only one thing to say.

WTF?

The only perspective those animals need is from 6 feet under.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is all reminiscent of the effort to sanitize or twist the Smithsonian display on the end of World War II.

It would be so politikally inkorrekt to offend those who've been murdering us, after all. "I'm okay, you're okay" applied to mass murderers.

Perhaps we could have a theatre addition where DVDs of Osama's rants or Zarkawi's hostage snuff films could be shown hourly. Viewers might have a meditation area to reflect upon just how we must have offended these cannibals to force them into doing such things.

Better to have just left a crater.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let 'em build it. I think the American perspective will quickly be displayed. My suspicion is that said demonstration will involve a can of gasoline and a match. Just a guess.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally I don`t think it`s a bad idea. It may be in bad taste, but that`s a different topic.

Jewish groups don`t hide the images of the Holocust, so we never forget how twisted and wrong the minds of those invloved were. We don`t hide images of the lynchings and beatings that the American Civil Rights movment had to put up with. It can`t be an abosolutely horrible idea to hold these cockroaches up to the light and be able to point to them and say "This is what a twisted mind looks like. Don`t ever let someone tell you that this kind of thing is right or noble."

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Personally I don`t think it`s a bad idea. It may be in bad taste, but that`s a different topic.

Jewish groups don`t hide the images of the Holocaust, so we never forget how twisted and wrong the minds of those involved were. We don`t hide images of the lynchings and beatings that the American Civil Rights movement had to put up with. It can`t be an absolutely horrible idea to hold these cockroaches up to the light and be able to point to them and say "This is what a twisted mind looks like. Don`t ever let someone tell you that this kind of thing is right or noble."
Maybe 20 or 30 years from now... or even 50 years from now such an exhibit could be used... however the wounds from that horrible day are still fresh... only 8 years ago did this horrific event took place. Love ones are still grieving from it... I say let the wounds heal if they can and then bring the perspective of the perps.
It's too soon for it IMO.
The Holocaust was over 80 years ago, by and large most of the survivors have died and are resting in peace, their descendants now deserve to see, know and understand what happened to them.
Same with the descendants of the Germans who created the holocaust so that they may learn not to ever do this atrocity again... ever.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ideally, the terrorist perspective would consist of a closeup of a Hellfire missile followed by a brief flash of light.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The difference is that in Holocaust museums, the historic background is explained. What they want to do in the 9/11 memorial would be akin to show Goebels' speaches as justification.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Fair enough, I can accept that it might be too soon. I guess that`s more in the bda taste catagory.

But I don`t think that having quotes from the highjackers would be seen as 'justification' for what they did. Any of those old speeches by Goebels, Himmler, etc. could be played today and followed by the same kind of retoric from the PLO, Hamas, or the Iranian "President" (can`t spell his name).

It serves as a reminder that the twisted hate these people spew is still alive and well, and just because we haven`t had a successful attack in the U.S. since then doesn`t mean it`s gone away.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
But you know what, let them show the videos. I don't know about you guys, but every time I see bin Laden and his like putting that finger up and lecturing like they are talking to children, I swear to God the red curtain of blood comes down over my eyes and I want to kill them. I don't know why, but that little gesture affects me that way.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But you know what, let them show the videos. I don't know about you guys, but every time I see bin Laden and his like putting that finger up and lecturing like they are talking to children, I swear to God the red curtain of blood comes down over my eyes and I want to kill them. I don't know why, but that little gesture affects me that way.

Maybe that's the point of the museum. If so, would you say that inspiring such rage is a good thing?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Keeping away from the highly emotive subject matter, is this a memorial or a museum?

Giving my expert opinion, as a qualified (if now ex) member of the profession, if it's a memorial then it isn't really very appropriate to include the troublesome material (too soon as people have already said). If it's a museum then it can't not be included.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
The memorial and museum are planned for the World Trade Center site undergoing reconstruction in lower Manhattan. The underground museum should open by 2013.

Museum or not..its going to be on the site of the attacks...that makes the sensitivity even more acute.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I appreciate the educational aspect but feel it would be in extremely bad taste considering the location and purpose of the "museum" as primarily being a memorial.

Save the "terrorist" perspectives and motivations for History Class discussion.

Latest Discussions