New York's Sept 11 museum to display hijacker perspective

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe 20 or 30 years from now... or even 50 years from now such an exhibit could be used... however the wounds from that horrible day are still fresh... only 8 years ago did this horrific event took place. Love ones are still grieving from it... I say let the wounds heal if they can and then bring the perspective of the perps.
It's too soon for it IMO.
The Holocaust was over 80 years ago, by and large most of the survivors have died and are resting in peace, their descendants now deserve to see, know and understand what happened to them.
Same with the descendants of the Germans who created the holocaust so that they may learn not to ever do this atrocity again... ever.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but how do you reconcile this viewpoint with your belief that it's okay for the newspaper to run pictures of a dying soldier against his parents wishes? I mean, it's great that you're thinking about the loved ones who are still grieving, I'd just like to know why that consideration doesn't extend to the parents of LCpl Bernard. Is it because these dead people aren't useful in ending the war?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I doubt that that's the point.

You are probably right, however, I can't fathom even a wild reason why we would suddenly want to go "touchy feely" with the "evil" terrorists. After years of rhetoric to the contrary, that is a complete polar shift. Someone from New York should actually go to this museum and see what it's like. We can make all sorts of stories up about what we think, however, this seems so unbelievable, someone has to see it with their own eyes. Media sensationalism?

JDenver

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What's clear here is that some folks don't seem to know the difference between a MUSEUM AND A MEMORIAL.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Which was indeed the point I was trying to make above :tup:.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Personally I don`t think it`s a bad idea. It may be in bad taste, but that`s a different topic.

Jewish groups don`t hide the images of the Holocust, so we never forget how twisted and wrong the minds of those invloved were. We don`t hide images of the lynchings and beatings that the American Civil Rights movment had to put up with. It can`t be an abosolutely horrible idea to hold these cockroaches up to the light and be able to point to them and say "This is what a twisted mind looks like. Don`t ever let someone tell you that this kind of thing is right or noble."

Right.

I think a broader historical context is very relevant and should be included. Not with video of rants, however. That's in very poor taste. When I went to the OK federal building museum a few years ago, they had a corner explaining domestic terrorism and a computer with a database on several hate groups/militia/extremist groups, their agenda, and a list of transgressions over the years. (Disclaimer: if there are any militia members on MT, please don't think I'm equating you personally with McVeigh. It's been a while since I saw the exhibit and my memory is imperfect.) Visitors were welcome to go out of their way to look at the database, but the whole display was unobtrusive.

I think this museum set a very high standard for how these things can be done.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think showing an objective (or as objective as you can get) account on the theories of why the terrorists in the 9-11 attacks did what they did would help enlighten visitors' global view.

Yes, I think a memorial is necessary for Americans to heal. But when it comes to a museum, I think all sides should be investigated in an attempt to decrease hatred and start healing. I think that itself is worth the media flak.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
If it's a museum then it can't not be included.

QFT.

Displaying materials that portray the POV of the attackers is not a de facto endorsement of their position. It is -- or should be -- an effort to expose the visitor to every facet of the 9/11 story.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
QFT.

Displaying materials that portray the POV of the attackers is not a de facto endorsement of their position. It is -- or should be -- an effort to expose the visitor to every facet of the 9/11 story.
Contrary to popular opinion, all views are NOT equally valid.
Should they, then, also include a section for TRUTHERS?

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score

In a museum, yes. In a memorial, no. Maybe the architects of this project ought to reconsider whether Ground Zero is the best place for an objective display.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score

Depends upon how comprehensive they want to be.

The most reliable place to research the available data on Lee Harvey Oswald, believe it or not, are the archives if the JFK Library. While he doesn't have a "wing" there, it is a depository for what information is available.

A comprehensive museum might just have displays on the "planeless sky" we all experienced in the aftermath, and the return of commercial flights (I had to fly a bit in the days after 9/11-even on govenment business, it was a bit of an uncomfortable hassle....), and, yes, a section on the "Truther phenomenon," perhaps. It might have sections dealing with the relationship between al Qaeda, the Taliban and Saudi Arabia, and how almost all the hijackers were Saudis-though I'm willing to bet it won't.

In any case, it's a museum. The US Holocuast Museum , for instance, has a display of the personal photographs of SS-Obersturmführer Karl Höcker, the adjutant to the commandant of Auschwitz.

It's even called Auschwitz Through the Lens of the SS.

Last edited:

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score

No one is saying that Big Don. Presenting all sides of a debate does not equate to saying all sides are equally valid. It is simply presenting the opinions that exist. That is how reasonable discussions are held. Otherwise, it's not a discussion or even an attempt to understand the truth of a situation. It's just a mindless flattering of your own viewpoint...which may or may not be correct.

At least by offering all sides, you will walk away with a valid basis for the opinions you hold. Refusing to consider any viewpoints but your own....usually means you are afraid they are too easily undermined.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but how do you reconcile this viewpoint with your belief that it's okay for the newspaper to run pictures of a dying soldier against his parents wishes? I mean, it's great that you're thinking about the loved ones who are still grieving, I'd just like to know why that consideration doesn't extend to the parents of LCpl Bernard. Is it because these dead people aren't useful in ending the war?
Is it okay to post pictures like this concerning 9/11 ?
s02_2H469523.jpg

(apologies for the extra large size... my photo editing sw is fubar-ed)...
No, this poor gentleman hasn't been identified but out of hundreds of families who lost a (male) loved one in one of the towers that day, it could be one of theirs, so is this appropriate? (released by the Boston Globe http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/09/remembering_september_11th.html ) (not arguing ... debating quietly and calmly :asian: ) .... It's in your face pictures of death and dying that make the event all the more poignant and true so that our own minds can be made up about what's happening and what to do about it.
No I wouldn't have wanted to see a photo of a car accident (DUI hitting innocent) that has a close friend or relative's image used for an advertisement but if it gets the message across and helps others get the message...
I'm not so thick skinned as to be uncaring about how people feel about the death of a loved one, but I am thin skinned when folks die needlessly. ... not that anyone NEEDS to die (except 100% for sure guilty murderers,child molesters, rapists and terrorists).

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Perhaps the WWII memorial should have a section portraying the Nazi point of view and perspective that they were the master race and everybody else should be shoved into an easy-bake oven?

I just don't think a memorial, especially one that is built at ground zero, should contain items like that.

A memorial is not necessarily geared towards educating the masses. It's a MEMORIAL. It's too honor those that died, those that volunteered to help, the cops and firemen that sacrificed to do their duty during horrible circumstances... it's not intended to clue us in on the the terrorist perspective.

The whole "PC" thing has clouded many's judgement me thinks.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Is it okay to post pictures like this concerning 9/11 ? .

From the article :

As an example of what will be included, Daniels said the 1979 invasion of the Soviet Union by Afghanistan was vital in understanding "the roots of Al Qaeda."
The most horrific pictures, such as those of people who jumped from the top floors of the Twin Towers to escape the heat and flames, will be segregated.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You're missing the point that some of us are trying to make, CC. A memorial is an entirely different thing to a museum.

You have to remember that Curator used to be my profession (it's what my Masters is in) and that for a museum to actually have the right to the name then it has to interpret the evidence and present same in a fashion as unbiased and factual as it can be. If you like, museums function as a 'court of law' or 'peer-review panel' for the past

If people want a memorial and not a museum at the place where the World Trade Centre once stood, I can perfectly understand and agree with that perspective. Indeed, I think until more time has passed that may well be the preferable option. Place the museum that interprets and presents the events elsewhere for now, in a place where people visiting it are not doing so solely for the purposes of grieving or paying their respects.

5-0 Kenpo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think showing an objective (or as objective as you can get) account on the theories of why the terrorists in the 9-11 attacks did what they did would help enlighten visitors' global view.

Yes, I think a memorial is necessary for Americans to heal. But when it comes to a museum, I think all sides should be investigated in an attempt to decrease hatred and start healing. I think that itself is worth the media flak.

Sometimes, hatred of things can be a good thing...

Latest Discussions