New Years Resolutions

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anybody meet their new years resolutions for 2018? Anybody got new years resolutions for 2019? I did not meet mine so Im going to make my 2018 resolution my 2019 resolution. I could've met my 2018 resolution but I chose not to.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I could have met mine, but I pussed out around June.

Gonna’ try again, though.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to try personally. Cracked a few things this year like getting fat again lol. Yes though, one hopefully I can get around to is New York in December. My partners sister and daughter ran the half marathon a couple of weeks ago or so, but I want to see Madison Square Garden for one, as well as Grand Central. Hopefully too I can get back to running next year as well, really miss it, but would struggle to run a mile at the moment. Still though, I get to ride up front in a train cab next as a Christmas present. Been wanting to do that for years. I like trains, especially American ones :) My biggest resolution for 2019 is too get that ring on her finger.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't do new year resolutions, because I'm too impatient ;)

For example, I stopped smoking in October - purely because that's when I decided to do it... Waiting until January so it could be a resolution seemed silly.

I just do things when I decide to do them - any time I set a date it passed with nothing changing.

If the process of "new year, new idea" works for you, fantastic, I wish you all luck.

I'm just crap at that sort of thing :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't do New Years resolutions because I'm already perfect.

Stop laughing, dammit!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I got some stuff done this year but none of it was really a resolution.

DUO ART

White Belt
Reaction score
Get two belts next year . Orange and Purple in Kenpo, and level 1 and 2 certificates in Krav Maga. I gotta stop playing around and go to class more .

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rarely do specific New Years resolutions. Partly because (like PDG) I don't save things for the new year, partly because I over-commit when I use some momentous occasion like New Years, and partly because I prefer to work with small goals that get me toward something larger, and don't really fit to a year-long plan like that.

I've noticed most of my big goals I don't think I'm working toward until I realize I've gotten pretty close to them. I think long-term goals cause me to get lost in details of planning, while shorter goals actually give me something to work on.

All that said, some things I'm going to be working on early in 2019:
  • Finding a new location to teach. I've done some of the legwork, and have a few more picked to investigate (previous attempts were unsuccessful).
  • Figure out if I can actually do distance running anymore (knees getting progressively worse), and if I can, get back to being able to run 3 miles. Past experience suggests I can probably get to that point in 60 days.
  • Get back into some routine exercise. I was working on some x-per-day bodyweight stuff (squats, pull-ups, push-ups), and will get started back on those. I also want to get back to my heavybag routines.
  • Get back to practicing forms regularly.
  • Finish figuring out the turning kick I was working on last year. We never did them in any of the schools I trained at, and I want this one. Having to work it on my own is far from optimal, but I've managed to make progress. Just quit working on it when I had to change training space, for some reason.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Finish figuring out the turning kick I was working on last year. We never did them in any of the schools I trained at, and I want this one.

Ok, fine, you've talked me into a nyr ;)

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I had a 2018 resolution of getting a blue belt in BJJ. I did not make it so it will become my 2019 resolution. I could've met my resolution, I could've been promoted to blue belt earlier this month but I turned it down so it will become my resolution for next year.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I though patience was a very important virtue in the martial arts.

Depends on patience for what...

If it's something you can't do anything about (wow, I can't wait to open my birthday presents) then sure, show patience.

If you intend to do something that is a positive and beneficial change to your life, why delay it just so you can assign it as a resolution?

What's wrong with making a Friday the 12th of October resolution?

Patience for the sake of it is ridiculous.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I had a 2018 resolution of getting a blue belt in BJJ. I did not make it so it will become my 2019 resolution. I could've met my resolution, I could've been promoted to blue belt earlier this month but I turned it down so it will become my resolution for next year.
I'm curious...why did you turn down the promotion?

Latest Discussions