New Years Resolutions

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on patience for what...

If it's something you can't do anything about (wow, I can't wait to open my birthday presents) then sure, show patience.

If you intend to do something that is a positive and beneficial change to your life, why delay it just so you can assign it as a resolution?

What's wrong with making a Friday the 12th of October resolution?

Patience for the sake of it is ridiculous.
Agreed, with the small exception of exercising patience (not to be confused with exorcising patients, which is an entirely different evening) for the purpose of getting better at it. Of course, that doesn't really apply to things like resolutions/goals.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I rarely do specific New Years resolutions. Partly because (like PDG) I don't save things for the new year, partly because I over-commit when I use some momentous occasion like New Years, and partly because I prefer to work with small goals that get me toward something larger, and don't really fit to a year-long plan like that.

I've noticed most of my big goals I don't think I'm working toward until I realize I've gotten pretty close to them. I think long-term goals cause me to get lost in details of planning, while shorter goals actually give me something to work on.

All that said, some things I'm going to be working on early in 2019:

• Finding a new location to teach. I've done some of the legwork, and have a few more picked to investigate (previous attempts were unsuccessful).
  • Figure out if I can actually do distance running anymore (knees getting progressively worse), and if I can, get back to being able to run 3 miles. Past experience suggests I can probably get to that point in 60 days.
  • Get back into some routine exercise. I was working on some x-per-day bodyweight stuff (squats, pull-ups, push-ups), and will get started back on those. I also want to get back to my heavybag routines.
  • Get back to practicing forms regularly.
  • Finish figuring out the turning kick I was working on last year. We never did them in any of the schools I trained at, and I want this one. Having to work it on my own is far from optimal, but I've managed to make progress. Just quit working on it when I had to change training space, for some reason.
#4 & #5 are in my wheelhouse. I don't call them resolutions because they are something I never feel I do enough of.
For your location, are you trying to get into a higher traffic area or what are your motivations?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
#4 & #5 are in my wheelhouse. I don't call them resolutions because they are something I never feel I do enough of.
For your location, are you trying to get into a higher traffic area or what are your motivations?
I lost my training location back in the summer. I was teaching at a county-owned athletic center, and they decided there wasn't room in the fitness room to keep the mats there. Since I teach a grappling art, mats are a necessity. I'm just trying to find someplace to restart my program.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I lost my training location back in the summer. I was teaching at a county-owned athletic center, and they decided there wasn't room in the fitness room to keep the mats there. Since I teach a grappling art, mats are a necessity. I'm just trying to find someplace to restart my program.
I have found that dance and gymnastic studios fit well with a MA class and have many of the same equipment needs.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't really do NY resolutions.. but I guess some things for this coming year:

-To get healthy again. Ah even just writing that brought tears to my eyes... this pelvic tension condition has been the most challenging and painful thing I've had to deal with, physically and emotionally (it's been a year and a half now with it). I'm significantly better than what I was, but there's still a ways to go.

-Find work again, somewhere (after my ankle fracture has healed..).

-Find my new dojo/martial art to commit to. I only managed to trial out 3 different styles in 2018 and not sure if I've found it yet, so I'm broadening out and going to make an effort to try more, and fingers crossed I find the "one" I'd love to commit to.

And a few other little things here and there too, mainly trying new things and getting different experiences, being more involved in the community has interested me too..

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Anybody meet their new years resolutions for 2018? Anybody got new years resolutions for 2019? I did not meet mine so Im going to make my 2018 resolution my 2019 resolution. I could've met my 2018 resolution but I chose not to.

I meant mine, and I made it about 20 years ago and I have meant it every year....and I will again in 2019...my resolution was to never make anther New Years Resolution....and I have not made one since

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm curious...why did you turn down the promotion?

Here is what happened. A few weeks ago I was a three stripe white belt in BJJ. They were doing promotions that night where people were getting their next stripe or their next belt. You get up to four stripes on your belt and then once you get your fourth stripe, the next time you get promoted you go up a belt. So I was a three stripe white belt and they called me up and were going to give me a blue belt and I pointed out that I only had three stripes not four. They checked their records and said they had me down as a four stripe white belt and thought maybe I had lost a stripe since the stripes are just tape they put around your belt which can come off and I told them that I had never been given a fourth stripe. Why they had me down as a four stripe white belt at the time I don't know but earlier in the year I had been out for a considerable time due to injury so that might've had something to do with it. There were students who were at my same level before my absence but because of my absence when I came back they were ahead of me in rank. Anyway when I mentioned all this they asked me if I wanted the blue belt or of I wanted a fourth stripe on my white belt instead, I said I would go with the fourth stripe. So now I am not a blue belt but I am a four stripe white belt.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends on patience for what...

If it's something you can't do anything about (wow, I can't wait to open my birthday presents) then sure, show patience.

If you intend to do something that is a positive and beneficial change to your life, why delay it just so you can assign it as a resolution?

What's wrong with making a Friday the 12th of October resolution?

Patience for the sake of it is ridiculous.

Thank you. You've made the point that I was trying to make when I first joined this forum back in 2013 and had been trying to make for years. Don't take longer than you have to when you're trying to getting something done just because you want to be patient, that's assuming taking more or less time to get it done does not affect the end result. It kept flying over people's heads. This is exactly what Im talking about when I talk about people not getting the point.

Anyway as far as new years resolutions, the idea is to get them done by the end of the year or earlier, how much earlier doesn't matter. Im going to have some resolutions for 2019 and as such I will want to get them done before January 1st 2020 but that doesn't mean Im going to wait until Dec. 31st 2019 to complete them. If Im able to complete my resolutions by October 12th 2019 so be it.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you. You've made the point that I was trying to make when I first joined this forum back in 2013 and had been trying to make for years. Don't take longer than you have to when you're trying to getting something done just because you want to be patient, that's assuming taking more or less time to get it done does not affect the end result. It kept flying over people's heads. This is exactly what Im talking about when I talk about people not getting the point.

Totally this.

Anyway as far as new years resolutions, the idea is to get them done by the end of the year or earlier, how much earlier doesn't matter. Im going to have some resolutions for 2019 and as such I will want to get them done before January 1st 2020 but that doesn't mean Im going to wait until Dec. 31st 2019 to complete them. If Im able to complete my resolutions by October 12th 2019 so be it.

That might be another regional difference in interpretation - or what you consider 'complete'...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have found that dance and gymnastic studios fit well with a MA class and have many of the same equipment needs.
I haven't found one yet that doesn't have classes in the time slots I can fill. I need to keep looking, as I haven't paid these enough attention. I'm going to drive out this week and visit a couple of MA schools that have limited schedules (2+ days a week not used), to see if they're interested in offering something else on those available days.

One issue I've run into is also interest. Since I don't teach kids, some places that would otherwise be interested, simply aren't.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is what happened. A few weeks ago I was a three stripe white belt in BJJ. They were doing promotions that night where people were getting their next stripe or their next belt. You get up to four stripes on your belt and then once you get your fourth stripe, the next time you get promoted you go up a belt. So I was a three stripe white belt and they called me up and were going to give me a blue belt and I pointed out that I only had three stripes not four. They checked their records and said they had me down as a four stripe white belt and thought maybe I had lost a stripe since the stripes are just tape they put around your belt which can come off and I told them that I had never been given a fourth stripe. Why they had me down as a four stripe white belt at the time I don't know but earlier in the year I had been out for a considerable time due to injury so that might've had something to do with it. There were students who were at my same level before my absence but because of my absence when I came back they were ahead of me in rank. Anyway when I mentioned all this they asked me if I wanted the blue belt or of I wanted a fourth stripe on my white belt instead, I said I would go with the fourth stripe. So now I am not a blue belt but I am a four stripe white belt.
That makes sense. It's a bit curious to me that they left it up to you. I can only see two situations that make sense here. First, perhaps they bumped you up to 4 stripes in their records at some point when you weren't there, because they judged that's where you belonged, but you never actually got the stripe. And now they decided you're a blue belt. In that case, they should've just given you the belt rank. The other possibility is they made a records error - put someone else's 4-stripe promotion on your card. In that case, you're not really a blue belt yet, and they should have given you the stripe.

I'm a bit perplexed about you having to choose, at all. If you're good enough to be that blue belt, then that's the rank you should have been awarded. If you're not there yet, it shouldn't be an option.

But I might be over-thinking it. Maybe they just gave you the option because they didn't think it was fair to offer a blue then take it back, figuring it wasn't much of a difference and you'd still have to get to the same "next" point to get your next rank.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I haven't found one yet that doesn't have classes in the time slots I can fill. I need to keep looking, as I haven't paid these enough attention. I'm going to drive out this week and visit a couple of MA schools that have limited schedules (2+ days a week not used), to see if they're interested in offering something else on those available days.

One issue I've run into is also interest. Since I don't teach kids, some places that would otherwise be interested, simply aren't.
Since you do not teach kids, have you looked in to local community centers and schools for room? Something geared toward adults? Several years ago I did a program two nights a week at the church we were going to. It was a large church with its own full size gym and a lot of class rooms size rooms. They could have easily ran a private school. It worked pretty well. Also, they had ample room for our mats. We use the 3x3 interlocking squares. Maybe larger churches should be on your search list? Never hurts to ask.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't do 'New year' celebrations in January, my New Year was three months back anyway. :D

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I generally don't do them but since I have some huge changes going on starting in 2019 I guess I'll think of something I should try to do or improve......

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't do 'New year' celebrations in January, my New Year was three months back anyway. :D

Mmm.... wasn't trying to be funny, Jewish New Year was in September this year.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was going to randomly stick this in last poster, but instead I've decided to assign it 'resolution' status ;)

I drink too much tea and coffee - I'll easily see off 25 mugs in an average day (about 1/2 pint mugs - 250-300ml - which is more than half a pint if you're American...)

I decided at about lunchtime to cut down on those and ramp up on water instead.

That's right, I couldn't even wait 12 hours to do it :D

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you do not teach kids, have you looked in to local community centers and schools for room? Something geared toward adults? Several years ago I did a program two nights a week at the church we were going to. It was a large church with its own full size gym and a lot of class rooms size rooms. They could have easily ran a private school. It worked pretty well. Also, they had ample room for our mats. We use the 3x3 interlocking squares. Maybe larger churches should be on your search list? Never hurts to ask.
I've not found anything promising to investigate this time around. Part of the problem is that most places want to charge a fixed rent - often more than I actually take in. That was the best part of the athletic center - they just accepted 25% of whatever I charged.

Around here (large retirement population), most adult-oriented centers are aimed at seniors.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to randomly stick this in last poster, but instead I've decided to assign it 'resolution' status ;)

I drink too much tea and coffee - I'll easily see off 25 mugs in an average day (about 1/2 pint mugs - 250-300ml - which is more than half a pint if you're American...)

I decided at about lunchtime to cut down on those and ramp up on water instead.

That's right, I couldn't even wait 12 hours to do it :D
I drink 3-5 cups of coffee a day. I'm using recent research (that heavy coffee drinkers have higher longevity) as my excuse. Excuses are easier than resolutions. :p