New Years Resolutions

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
just an observation about resolutions,

I spend a lot of time walking my dog round my local park and doing my exercises whilst I'm away there,
this new years day and every one before for the last 10 years, there were dozens of joggers in brand new running gear, so many that you couldn't walk for them, all panting and limping

, by today Sunday, 4 days later, there were 5

this time next week there will be just the old guy that does 10 laps every day rain or shine.
a small few reappear in July for another week, and decid d it to hot and are gone again, Nike must be loving it, the hey give their gear to the charity shop and buy new again next year, I know this as I buy my as new running shoes from a wide selection from them every feb

Last edited:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just an observation about resolutions,

I spend a lot of time walking my dog round my local park and doing my exercises whilst I'm away there,
this new years day and every one before for the last 10 years, there were dozens of joggers in brand new running gear, so many that you couldn't walk for them, all panting and limping

, by today Sunday, 4 days later, there were 5

this time next week there will be just the old guy that does 10 laps every day rain or shine.
a small few reappear in July for another week, and decid d it to hot and are gone again, Nike must be loving it, the hey give their gear to the charity shop and buy new again next year, I know this as I buy my as new running shoes from a wide selection from them every feb

Same with the Park Run's that I hope to get back to. It's funny, or maybe not, that the old guy you refer to seems to be in every town/city. Where I am, there are two park runs done every Saturday. One of them has a a runner that will never be the fastest, will never be the slowest, but was always there. I had a chat with him post run and found out he was 72 years old and previously had been in hospital years before with heart issues. But come rain or shine, he is always there every Saturday health willing. At least when I was there last, but even so, I think what a guy.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So how is everything going with people's 2019 resolutions? We are almost halfway through the year so has anybody met or come close to meeting any resolutions? I did meet my resolution of getting a blue belt in BJJ when I was promoted to blue belt last night so I've gotten that taken care of. As we are close to being halfway through 2019 this is a good time to check up on everybody's progress.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't made any resolutions in many years. I never found them all that helpful - the turn of the year just doesn't seem to carry the gravitas it used to for me, so I don't often make calendar-year goals.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I haven't made any resolutions in many years. I never found them all that helpful - the turn of the year just doesn't seem to carry the gravitas it used to for me, so I don't often make calendar-year goals.

My youngest came home from school just before Christmas break. Her friends were al talking about New Years Resolutions. She told them, "I don't get it, if you really want to change something, why do you have to wait until New Years, just change it now."

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So how is everything going with people's 2019 resolutions? We are almost halfway through the year so has anybody met or come close to meeting any resolutions? I did meet my resolution of getting a blue belt in BJJ when I was promoted to blue belt last night so I've gotten that taken care of. As we are close to being halfway through 2019 this is a good time to check up on everybody's progress.
Still exercising/working out as regularly as i can, given my job. At least 3-4 times a week (not including ma stuff)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Congratulations on getting your blue belt.
Like other, I have not made a resolution in while. I do update a life plan every quarter. Works well for us.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
My new years resolution was to come up with more excuses for not making a new year's resolution. I would have done it but I was too busy doing kata.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congratulations on getting your blue belt.
Like other, I have not made a resolution in while. I do update a life plan every quarter. Works well for us.
Thank you.
Although its nice to be promoted, when you do get promoted and especially if you go up a belt, it means more responsibility.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not mine- my brother was one of the pickiest eaters I knew growing up. His New Years resolution was to cut out all meat, with the plan next year to go full vegan. 6 months in, he’s still vegetarian.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't really do NY resolutions.. but I guess some things for this coming year:

-To get healthy again. Ah even just writing that brought tears to my eyes... this pelvic tension condition has been the most challenging and painful thing I've had to deal with, physically and emotionally (it's been a year and a half now with it). I'm significantly better than what I was, but there's still a ways to go.

-Find work again, somewhere (after my ankle fracture has healed..).

-Find my new dojo/martial art to commit to. I only managed to trial out 3 different styles in 2018 and not sure if I've found it yet, so I'm broadening out and going to make an effort to try more, and fingers crossed I find the "one" I'd love to commit to.

And a few other little things here and there too, mainly trying new things and getting different experiences, being more involved in the community has interested me too..

Great idea revisiting this!

I don't really do them either, but these are just particular focus'... focuses... (foci?) I've had through the year, let's go down memory lane and visit each one shall we!

-Getting healthy and functional again, stiiiiill a work in progress, but there's no actual way of putting a timeline on it. I'm happy to say I'm significantly better than what I was, functioning mostly normally, but still phases of flareups and lots of pain. My exercising and training has been progressing and I've able to incorporate things I haven't done in ages which is a huge plus.

-Workwise yep! Working at a beautiful not-for-profit cafe which has just been the biggest blessing... they're been so uplifting, supportive and encouraging and it is just what I needed. Also really been wanting to start up a pelvic pain support group for guys, so that's in the works slowly...

-New dojo, a work in progress! Still looking, which is part of fun hey!

Being involved in the community too has really just taken on a life of its own haha, apart from work I've gotten involved in a church, something I've never been apart of before really, just a different phase I'm exploring and have been drawn to spiritually speaking, and it's been such a beautiful community there, and also been a part of the worship team playing music which is just... wow.

Nice to reflect on all this actually :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This year was focused towards getting a new job. If I nail that then it opens up a lot of opportunities to start some other projects I would like to do.

So still working on that.

Latest Discussions