The Obligatory Annual New Years Resolution thread

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Got one?
Believe in making them?
Last year, I had what I thought was a fool proof New Year's Resolution: Drink more alcohol.
Yeah. Me being boring, that didn't happen...

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't make them, since they traditionally fall by the wayside. Seems like a jinx to call any plan a NYR.

However, I do plan to get my diet back in line (since the holidays will be over and temptations will therefore be fewer) and work out more (since the holidays will be over and I will therefore no longer be so stinkin' busy.) Plans. Not resolutions. :)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be a better person in all ways, then I was in 2010.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Not really NYR’s but things that will happen.
I have a 5th dan grading this May.
I need to start my 3rd career somewhere.
I need a trip somewhere, where I can do nothing for a few weeks.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
lose 50+ lbs.
increase muscles, flexibility
find way to get 3rd Dan
quit being retail monkey, find decent job

l_uk3y

Green Belt
Reaction score
First one is to have a clear year of training Martial Arts and fitness injury free and achieve a much more successful year then the last couple. Ive bought some Gymnastics rings for xmas to try and add to my fitness program. Should be interesting.

Otherwise typical house stuff. Get the bathrooms renovated and the front garden finished. Nothing exciting really.

Luke

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's not really something I can post here, but it's a goal I've been working toward for several years. I'm very happy because I think I can realistically achieve it this year or next.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I like best is no matter what you strive for, the New Year is just that. It is a new beginning of looking forward, a letting go of past short comings, a setting aside of baggage. It gives us license to once again pursue our goals of yesteryears past.
Happy New year to all of the MT staff, and those that help keep this ball rolling.........:asian:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't usually go for New Year's resolutions, but seeing as this is the year I turn 50, I thought something along that line might be in order. So here are my plans - I won't call them resolutions, because I might change my mind or simply be unable to do what I want to do, and I refuse to feel guilty if that happens...

1. Compete in a karate tournament (sparring). Might see that one happen this coming January 22nd, at the D-Lux Charity Challenge 4, an open tournament just up the road from me (http://www.greatlakeskaratecircuit.com/).
  2. Get back in the gym, lose some belly fat.
  3. Get my knees in shape so I can properly do Chinto kata.
  4. Finish learning Kusanku kata and get through Sunsu kata (also need the knees working right to get through those).
  5. Attend / compete Isshin-Ryu Hall of Fame Tournament in Chattanooga, TN in July 2011.
  6. Remain employed.
  7. Get rid of old cameras/equipment currently cluttering up house.
  8. Finish building my old Thompson/Center Contender pistol.
  9. Win lottery.
  10. Remain calm.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Stop drinking Soda and Sweet Tea.
Find and start training in a MA
And most important stop working so hard and spend more time with my kids they are growing so fast and with my job I miss so much.

The one thing I hate about new years is the gym will now be packed for the next 2 months with all these people that want to get in shape. They will hog the weights and be in the way. At least by early March most will have given up and stopped coming.

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't like resolutions. But I have decided to try listening better by waiting longer before I respond to someone. I have a very bad habit of interrupting.

My boyfriend and I have much more interesting and satisfying conversations when we chat online because I can't interrupt him!! :)

9. Win lottery
10. Remain calm

Love that!

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bill, when I first read your list I suppressed a chuckle on the "remain employed." But these days it takes some doing, doesn't it?

The very simplified version of my resolution involves "get employed." It's gong to be a hell of a challenge too. Don't let go of that job if you can help it - it's brutal out there.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-New Years Resolutions I'm guessing only work for a small number of people. In 2010, my girlfriend and I bought a house together; that was a goal, not a resolution. Hmmmm...goals are more important I think than resolutions, and much more easy to achieve. I want to go home to New York this year since I didn't make it last year. Goal pending since we're going in March. This year's goal is a new job, although recent developments at my current job have me considering staying.

-I think New Years is more important in reminding us that we're not locked into anything unless we choose to be, and that there are possibilites out there.

(But just for fun, I resolve to get back into martial arts this year;-)

Andrew

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Stop drinking Soda and Sweet Tea.

I used to drink soda for breakfast, mid-morning, late-morning, lunch, early-afternoon, late-afternoon and dinner. I stopped drinking soda in the lead up to my first black belt testing as a test of my discipline. Save for a few times drinking ginger ale when ill, I have been soda free for over 3 years. I wish you the best in giving up the soda.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bill, winning the lottery is much higher on my list of things to do this year.

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bill, winning the lottery is much higher on my list of things to do this year.

Hey, what if we make it a team effort and support each other? Kind of like quitting smoking.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mine is pretty boring, live another year and try to keep in shape so I can live through the one after that :)