New training area!

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
zpLE8QQ.jpg

Got some mats in, set up a practice area. It used to be a derelict weight set that was never used, so I feel like I'll make more use of the area soon.

The one problem I have is the mats tend to slide, got a rug mat on the way to hopefully solve the problem. Other than that, they work great!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The training area looks nice, and it's sure better than having stuff sitting there not being used.
What stance and hand technique is that?

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is kind of a hapkido stance I was going lower on because I wasn't sure what the camera could see. Apparently I was well below the top of the camera. Communication error between my cameraman and I.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is always nice to have an area that you can use for your workouts. Looks like a great place to practice

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The one problem I have is the mats tend to slide, got a rug mat on the way to hopefully solve the problem.

I tried both mats and a large 8' x 11' rug, on a laminate floor. Both had problems with slipping when the foot pivots. In the end, I found it was best to put my body opponent bag on the mat, and for me to be off the mat.

Now that I am in an apartment with carpeting, I just kick on the carpets without anything on top of them. The previous tenant had stained the carpets, so I don't have to worry about them.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That is kind of a hapkido stance ...

For the sake of discussion, I'll be interested to hear you opinion about the purpose of your "back foot pointing 45 degree backward".

zpLE8QQ.jpg

Some people stands this way:

karate+stance.jpg

Others stand this way:

Karate_stance.jpg

What's the difference in your opinion?

Last edited:
OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it's a product of going for a lower stance. Which makes sense in the context of me trying to go lower due to the aforementioned miscommunication.