Minimum space for dedicated practice area

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As a bachelor, my dining room isn't really being used for a dining room (I have several other places I can eat). Sitting in my "dining room" is a weight set that I rarely use. I was thinking about getting rid of it and making use of it for at-home practice, but here's the issue: the space is 8'-by-8', with 3 sides walled and the fourth side open (not too far until you hit the furniture in the next room, though). I could practice my forms better than I can now, but it would still be cramped. It would give me room for spinning kicks, but I'd have no room to move (a simple step-behind side-kick takes up most of the distance unless I face a corner or the open space).

Is it worth it to get some mats and use this space for TKD practice? I'm also thinking about getting some folding tables/chairs for a board game/dinner table, but the nice thing is the two plans aren't mutually exclusive. However, if it's not worth it to use the space for practice, I may hold off and just get a nicer table, or may go straight for the table instead of getting the mats first.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
8'x8' is enough for me to do some practice with a body opponent bag. It's getting tight, but for me, I just need enough room to practice a spinning hook kick, then I also do exercise-type of kicks like middle + high roundhouse, or roundhouse+side+hook kick (for balance and accuracy).

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, I tested it out by marking 8'x8' somewhere else (it is way too cramped in my condo...if I win the lottery I'll have an awesome home practice area, but barring that I'm stuck with what I got). I can practice the kicks I need to work on, but I don't think it'll fill all of my needs (i.e. the ability to practice forms with the proper stance without special modification so I don't punch a hole in the wall). It'll probably be a month or so (or longer, depending on my luck) before I do this, but I think it'll be worth it.

Considering I'm planning on using the room for dual purpose, the worst that happens is I'm out the cost of the mats.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I tested it out by marking 8'x8' somewhere else (it is way too cramped in my condo...if I win the lottery I'll have an awesome home practice area, but barring that I'm stuck with what I got). I can practice the kicks I need to work on, but I don't think it'll fill all of my needs (i.e. the ability to practice forms with the proper stance without special modification so I don't punch a hole in the wall). It'll probably be a month or so (or longer, depending on my luck) before I do this, but I think it'll be worth it.

Considering I'm planning on using the room for dual purpose, the worst that happens is I'm out the cost of the mats.

8x8? That's not a dinning room, that's a small breakfast nook. :boing1:

But I have practiced in some small places when I studied TKD. Sometimes I would have to take a half step back then a half step forward with the opposite foot instead of a whole step forward when I came to a wall. But it may be doable. It just seems like a very small space. Good luck in trying it.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i've not got a dining room of any description - i normally eat my dinner watching the telly and my bed is a 6ft x 3ft pipe cot cos there's no space for anything bigger ;)

my muay thai space isn't much bigger at 10ft x 8ft and i've made the door frame into the room a kick zone cos i picked up a load of kick pads really cheap and attached them to the door frame to stop me from kicking the door frame :) i also have a 4ft kick bag hanging off a wall with a 3ft bag next to that and a speedball next to that..........

in short my space is very cramped but it works in a funny sort of way :)

lack of space is just an excuse not to train !!!!!

donna

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oftheherd, my dining room makes up ~7% of my condo. It's the right size for the condo, IMO.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
my crash pad is 20ft x 20ft - that's it and everything is contained within that 400sqft area including my doggie :)

my house on the other hand is a palatial in comparison with a dedicated 400sqft gym and loads more training kit :) hate having to "live away" from my house but it really is necessary for the work that i do :(

donna

Thousand Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
Maybe ask yourself the question another way. What kind of practice can I do in a 8' x 8' area? Asking it this way changes your approach to find ways to work out versus finding a reason not to work out. I try to get in at least one practice per week at home in my basement. While I have more room than the one you mentioned, the ceiling is low. So, I just work on what I can and don't worry about the rest.

You mentioned mats. Is there a reason? Is the area carpeted, wood, tile? Another consideration is to get kicking shoes to practice in. If it will work, it's a lot cheaper than mats, especially if it's a temporary situation.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If I just left a carpeted open space, it would fill up with boxes and I'd never practice :p

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oftheherd, my dining room makes up ~7% of my condo. It's the right size for the condo, IMO.

It was an apparently not good way to make what I intended as a lighted joke. I have had such places myself BTW. But if it was taken as an insult, my apologies.

Latest Discussions