training mats

JamesB

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know it's been asked before but I've searched all over and haven't found the exact answers to my questions. I need advise on training mats:

I run an American Kenpo class - and hire out a school sports hall which has quite a hard wooden floor. From time to time it would be nice to have something a little more forgiving on which to fall/throw. Not grappling, just to take the edge out of trips, sweeps, takedowns etc. Don't need a massive area....maybe 5x5 meters for the moment.

I can store the mats at the school but need something which is easy to put down/take up each night. Borrowing the school's mats doesn't seem to be an option so I am asking people's advise who use those "jigsaw" training mats.

Are they designed to be constantly layed down/taken up all the time? How long do they take to lay down - they look kind of tricky to link together??? The good thing about these mats is they seem not to slide about...but maybe the "tongues" would get damaged after repeated linking together?

Really I'm just asking has anyone used jigsaw mats this way or are there better alternatives? I live in the UK so any pointers to cheap mats would be welcome!

thanks,
James

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
They use jigsaws in one of the dojos where I train. If properly taken care of, the links will stay in good condition. We put them together and dismantle them every time we train there (twice a week) and they're still in great shape (they've seen a few years of use). All in all, they're very sturdy.

They don't take very long to lay down, especially if you're using a small area and especially if compared with the time you have to spend pushing the standard mats back in place. If you teach kids, they'll love it. Linking is easy to learn and isn't much of a hassle.

As for the feel, I personally prefer standard mats. I'm not sure if it's the same in the UK, but the jigsaw mats we use are much more dense and absorb less of the impact. Falling flat on your back HURTS! But they're manageable. Overall good mats, I'd recommend.

OP
JamesB

JamesB

Green Belt
Reaction score
hey, thanks - looks like jigsaw mats will be the way to go then...

anyone recommend a good (i.e. cheap) supplier for the UK? most mats seem to be £20-£30 each....apart from one place (www.iconmartialarts.co.uk) which are quite a bit cheaper. Has anyone used the mats from this place?

any opinions on 20mm vs 40mm thickness mats for a mostly stand-up art?

cheers,
James

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The jigshaw matts are very dusable and yes they can be taken down and put back together all the time , I have used them for ever.

Master Stoker

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Talcom powder liberally sprinkled over the edges of the mats done once there packed up will keep the tags sliding past each other for years of trouble free use. Marking one side of the mats with tape and using the same side on the ground all the time will stop unwanted debris for coming into contact with the fighters is a good idea aswell.

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
JamesB said:
any opinions on 20mm vs 40mm thickness mats for a mostly stand-up art?
The ones we use (stand-up art as well) are either 30mm or 50mm, can't remember. I'd say definitely the 40mm.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you have the space to store them you might also want to look into some used wrestling mats. Some companies have pieces left over that they sell of very cheap. They tend to be heavy and take up some space for storage, but they are thicker and more durable.

Latest Discussions