New school down the street...

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Another Karate/TKD/TSD/Kung fu/Jiu jitsu master opened 2 miles away from my school. I like competition but this guy is 29, overweight and claims to be a 5th dan in 7 different Martial arts! He also claimed that he learned all of his skills from one man in China where he spent 20 years training.
I introduced myself and told him who I was and he looked offended that I would walk into his school. He told me that if I was not there to sign up that I must be there to challenge him. He took a fighting stance and I had to keep myself from laughing in his 250 lb face (He looked to be about 5'5).
Why do people feel the need to embelish their ranking and claim to be something that they are not? Is the general public stupid enough to fall for it? Are there other schools out there like this?

Wey

Green Belt
Reaction score
As I was reading the first sentence, I was hoping you were not excited/interested about joining... Krate/TKD/TSD/Kung fu/Jiu jitsu... lol. You should have fought him though, just to see. ;)

The fact that some people will give in to his propaganda is saddening. I hope I never run into a school like this.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Another Karate/TKD/TSD/Kung fu/Jiu jitsu master opened 2 miles away from my school. I like competition but this guy is 29, overweight and claims to be a 5th dan in 7 different Martial arts!

Did he have certificates, for said 5th Dans in the seven martial arts, posted on his studio walls?

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
So, I am 5'5" and 210 lbs. I am a KKW certified 7th Dan and still spar my BB's on a regular basis. I won gold at the US Open in 2007, do you still really want to sparr me? Being old and fat does not mean you don't know how to fight, challenge any Viet Nam vet, like me, and see what you come up with. Enjoy...............................

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why don't you go find out for yourself if this guy is for real? You don't exactly come across as a shrinking violet and it seems to me you've been around long enough to know the answer to your question.

There are a lot of overweight football coaches, basketball coaches, baseball managers ... why wouldn't there be older, overweight martial arts instructors?

The claims sound ridiculous, but why trash someone here? Why not either just leave the guy alone or find out for yourself? Begin the certificate authentication process.

Let us know how that goes, eh?

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Over a 17 year period we have seen several competitors come and go. Some were a class act and some were questionable. If we just stick to our game plan of teaching quality material and treating people right you will continue to succeed. Yes, you will see many different types come and go. :)

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Unless it is a mis-typing from msmitht in the original post, the individual in question is 29 (twenty-nine). That's not someone I would consider "old". In fact, I would consider it very young for someone with 7 different 5th Dan rankings in various Japanese and Korean arts, learnt under one man in China for the last twenty years (since he was 9?). I'm thinking the disbelief is at the very least warranted in this case...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well if he is that bad you have nothing to worry about, but just in case he has some talent it could become an issue.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
i introduced myself and told him who i was and he looked offended that i would walk into his school. He told me that if i was not there to sign up that i must be there to challenge him. He took a fighting stance[...]

lol

Senjojutsu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Over a 17 year period we have seen several competitors come and go. Some were a class act and some were questionable. If we just stick to our game plan of teaching quality material and treating people right you will continue to succeed. Yes, you will see many different types come and go. :)
Yes experience teaches these things do mostly work out over time. Mostly.
The dojo where I train had a competitor shop open up literally across the street – it’s gone now. Same with another dojo that closed down the street, and another one across the town. Of course - legends of dojo storming matches to maintain “quality control back-in-the-day” make for some good stories.

Another Karate/TKD/TSD/Kung fu/Jiu jitsu master opened 2 miles away from my school. I like competition but this guy is 29, overweight and claims to be a 5th dan in 7 different Martial arts! He also claimed that he learned all of his skills from one man in China where he spent 20 years training.
I introduced myself and told him who I was and he looked offended that I would walk into his school. He told me that if I was not there to sign up that I must be there to challenge him. He took a fighting stance and I had to keep myself from laughing in his 250 lb face (He looked to be about 5'5).
Why do people feel the need to embelish their ranking and claim to be something that they are not? Is the general public stupid enough to fall for it? Are there other schools out there like this?
The trouble is this instructor in the OP seems to be a legend in his own mind.
But heh - at least you didn’t walk into a Cobra Kai dojo! Count yourself lucky.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oP2F5CM30k

It just never gets old.

ynnad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Another Karate/TKD/TSD/Kung fu/Jiu jitsu master opened 2 miles away from my school. I like competition

You like schools to open up near you to challenge you for income? Really?

but this guy is 29, overweight and claims to be a 5th dan in 7 different Martial arts!

And this bothers you because? Oh, because you like competition. And, this means that this guy isn't going to steal as many new students from you.

He also claimed that he learned all of his skills from one man in China where he spent 20 years training.

Again, why mock him for this?

I'm sorry but this is complete BS. This is grossly exaggerated, completely false, or you are not truthfully representing your attitude and posture. I don't see how your post is at all helpful or consistent with the tenants of a Taekwondo instructor. Publicly maligning this guy seems like nothing more than your own uneasiness about his presence as a threat to you and your school. I'm not trying to start anything, I don't know you, but I don't know why we need to malign people and schools. Let your actions and words define you and your school.

Last edited:

xfighter88

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Unless it is a mis-typing from msmitht in the original post, the individual in question is 29 (twenty-nine). That's not someone I would consider "old". In fact, I would consider it very young for someone with 7 different 5th Dan rankings in various Japanese and Korean arts, learnt under one man in China for the last twenty years (since he was 9?). I'm thinking the disbelief is at the very least warranted in this case...

My exact thoughts. Also what kind of respectable instructor challenges someone to open combat without even see what the perspective student is all about. Seems a bit childish to me. I had an instructor with that kind of a chip on his shoulder before and it sucks hard.

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The OP's post is feels legitimate. How is he "publicly" offending someone? They didn't go out of their way to post this instructor's name and address. It IS hard to believe that someone less than thirty having five 5th Dans. More so, one of the styles in which he claims the rank is Kung Fu? Unless there's a "san soo" following that doesn't make a lot of sense.
WHY would the original post be exaggerated? Ynnad, why would you assume that they didn't not properly represent themselves? It's like you're assuming this new instructor is completely legitimate. The only one who met him was the OP. They were venting. Tough.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My exact thoughts. Also what kind of respectable instructor challenges someone to open combat without even see what the perspective student is all about. Seems a bit childish to me. I had an instructor with that kind of a chip on his shoulder before and it sucks hard.

It sounded like a scene out of a bad MA movie.... :lol:

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You like schools to open up near you to challenge you for income? Really?
I like friendly competition because it keeps me on my toes. As far as challenging my income...there are 14 schools within a 3 mile radius of my dojang.

And this bothers you because? Oh, because you like competition. And, this means that this guy isn't going to steal as many new students from you.
It bothers me because I do not like frauds.

Again, why mock him for this?
Because there is no way he could have legit 5th dans in 7 different arts by age 29! Unless he bought them online.

I'm sorry but this is complete BS. This is grossly exaggerated, completely false, or you are not truthfully representing your attitude and posture. I don't see how your post is at all helpful or consistent with the tenants of a Taekwondo instructor. Publicly maligning this guy seems like nothing more than your own uneasiness about his presence as a threat to you and your school. I'm not trying to start anything, I don't know you, but I don't know why we need to malign people and schools. Let your actions and words define you and your school.
I did not say who he is or where his school is. I also did not post a link to his web site. That would be"publicly maligning". I was merely curious if others have seen a school like this one elsewhere. I was also venting as my post went up the same night that I went to introduce myself and wish him well.

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So, I am 5'5" and 210 lbs. I am a KKW certified 7th Dan and still spar my BB's on a regular basis. I won gold at the US Open in 2007, do you still really want to sparr me? Being old and fat does not mean you don't know how to fight, challenge any Viet Nam vet, like me, and see what you come up with. Enjoy...............................
Did you read the post? I was referring to a 29 year old who was out of shape and claimed to hold several 5th dans. I did not challenge him. I went to wish him well as I have a good relationship with all of the school owners in my area. It did kinda remind me of rex kwan do....just a little.

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Did he look something like this?

FootFistWay.jpg

Latest Discussions