Ever of hear of jags like these?

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
Here's a little back-story, to start: At one time, my TKD school made up over half of the Wisconsin TKD Union. Our students accounted for more than half of the tournament attendance, and a disproportionate number of wins. Over time, many members of the WSTU wanted to start making changes to the format, i.e. not scoring punches, no longer enforcing tremble shock, and allowing moves that looked more like Irish dancing instead of actual fighting. This lead to our school breaking off of from WSTU, which really cut down it's size.

Soon after this, a guy from our school broke off to form a tournament school. He's been doing this for several years, and has actually done very well in the Wisconsin AAU tourneys. Recently, he asked if he could come spar in our in-school tourney. He was allowed, and won the first two matches, only to be beaten by a student from my school in the last match. (Personally, I felt that he looked like an idiot. Alot of his stuff would have ended up getting him killed in a street-fight)

I later caught up with, and chatted with him for a bit. He said that he was out of training, since the "normal" tournament season was over in November. He said if he had kept up in training, he would have smoked our guy. (I didn't have the heart to tell him that the guy who beat him had been on a Mormon mission for the last 2 years, where you only get about 1 hour to train a week, if you're lucky.) He also told me that my instructor was his student, which is total BS, since my instructor went from white to black in 2 martial arts before he started at my school.

I was wondering, should I see him again, what might the best course of action be? Should I let him know that he was beaten by a guy severely out of training? Should I let him know that I'm aware he's a total BS cannon?

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn’t waste my breath, as it won’t change his attitude, if anything he might just become more defensive.

There are always going to be people like this, just don’t waste your time on them, you know the truth and thats what matters :)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would do as your training as tought you be Humble let him believe what ever he feels the need to believe, as long as you know the truth about him and your school is at a higher level than his, does it matter really!

I myself have been put into these circumstances and I have never tried to defend why my students field better than some other schools, when ask I simply say we had a great tourney don't you agree and leave it at that.

Terry

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Unless you're looking for a conflict, I think the best course of action with this guy is the same as it would be with any other moron. Just smile, nod, and excuse yourself from the conversation as soon as is convenient.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to the martial arts! If this is the 1st guy you've met in the MA who tells you HE taught your instructor (while training Bruce Lee in the far reaches of outer-Mongolia), consider yourself lucky.

There will always be some guy who wants to spout off on how much better he is than you & your people. Heck, if all these guys were at the same tourney @ once, there wouldn't be a single match. Cuz they'd be too busy telling each other how wonderful they are.

Guys like that need only one thing.....An audience for their bs. If you listen, they'll talk. If you don't & ya walk away, they'll still talk, but it won't be to you.

Its not worth gettin' worked up about. Cuz folks in the know, know the truth.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Zepp said:
Unless you're looking for a conflict, I think the best course of action with this guy is the same as it would be with any other moron. Just smile, nod, and excuse yourself from the conversation as soon as is convenient.

yes, "smile and nod" is a mantra that I live by.

Latest Discussions