General question about considering new school

garrisons2

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi all, I recently stopped going to my TKD school after 3 1/2 years as I no longer work in the area, which is about 40 miles from my house. I miss it already and it was a tough decision, but will enable me to get my kids involved. There are several schools within 15 minutes away. The one whose cirriculum appears closest(watched half a class) and I liked the best so far is right at that 15 minute mark, give or take. What I have been telling the Masters or GM at the schools is that I want to come by and participate in a class, then if I like it bring my kids, they have generally agreed that this seems reasonable. The guy I went to this morning, whose cirriculm seems closest (old school WTF) said he can't do that, as he can only give one trial class away "free" Alot of you folks on this board have your own school, so please tell me what I'm missing? From a business perspective, he sees a person already committed to TKD and wanting to involve his kids. I really wanted to check his out as there were several long time adults there and would be the easiest transition.

The place which is closest to my house was quite different in their rituals, techniques, etc., so even though I tried the class I really felt disoriented, comments?

Last edited:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disorientation when changing schools and programs isn't uncommon. I wouldn't rule a place out solely for feeling a little uncomfortable; after all, you probably felt a little uncomfortable and disoriented in your original school when you first started, no?

As to the "can only give away one lesson"... The guy's got a business to run, and may have some insurance requirements, as well. But you'd think he could work with you a little since he's looking at 3 new students (and three new contracts...) and you weren't asking something that I see as unreasonable.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Garrison I will simply say this to the owner, I have been with one school for 3.5 years and I really need to see everything once again with my family. The positive is he maybe getting 3 new students, maybe even offer him a drop in rate of say $10.00 to do another class, this way he is earning lunch for himself.

OP
G

garrisons2

Orange Belt
Reaction score
He called back and agreed to the trial adult class for me and then the family, attributed it to communications....Despite being impressed by the class, I'm undecided about trying them again as usually that BS is a harbinger of difficulties downstream. It is really hard not to compare everything with the only way I know and love, gonna be a tough decision

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
He called back and agreed to the trial adult class for me and then the family, attributed it to communications....Despite being impressed by the class, I'm undecided about trying them again as usually that BS is a harbinger of difficulties downstream. It is really hard not to compare everything with the only way I know and love, gonna be a tough decision

Just make sure you get all info up front in writing. Any legot school schould be able to do this. It would include tuition costs, test and promotion fees and required Extras which might include uniforms, equipment, and special traning, as well as required organizational dues.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I bet you've heard "Measure twice. Cut once."

I recommend watching more regardless of how many shots you get at participation. You're not a rookie, so you know what you're looking for. IMO the instructor is everything, and that goes doubly when you're considering where to put your kids.

Isn't it worth waiting a little and being sure?

Good luck.
Carl

Latest Discussions