First visit to an ATA school

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hate to tell you but the kukkiwon regulations also allow that one. 4th Dan at that age is like giving a drivers license to a 5 year old.

Robinson and Rankins were not under J.H. Lee until the 90's, prior to that, Robinson was the ATA region 107 vice president. They still run their schools like ATA schools and hand out 4th dan black belts to 16 year old kids.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hate to tell you but the kukkiwon regulations also allow that one. 4th Dan at that age is like giving a drivers license to a 5 year old.

No the KKW does not allow 16 year old 4th degrees but they do allow 20 year old 4th degree's still bad but not as bad.
icon10.gif

Jphtkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Kukkiwon allows 4th poom, not dan. There are also very few of those running around.

The group I was speaking of issues their own certificates. They also sell Kukkiwon certificates but that is an additional charge. To get both for first dan it is about $600 dollars. Most of their instructors do not have Kukkiwon certification.

DMcHenry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You know for a long time I didn't know what a "camo belt" was but kept seeing it discussed - until some actually wrote out the whole word, I didn't have a clue it was short for camouflage (which I thought was totally ridiculous).

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kukkiwon allows 4th poom, not dan. There are also very few of those running around.

The group I was speaking of issues their own certificates. They also sell Kukkiwon certificates but that is an additional charge. To get both for first dan it is about $600 dollars. Most of their instructors do not have Kukkiwon certification.

No they do not not the highest a poom can go is third and then at 16 they can transfer the poom rank to Dan and then wait four years for there 4th. Sorry but that is the way of the KKW.

DMcHenry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
3. When 1, 2, 3 Poom holder, being 15 years of age or above, want to be promoted to the next higher
Dan, he or she can be applied Dan promotion test. However, 3rd Poom holder who is 18 years of
age and above can be applied 4th Dan and under 18 years of age can be applied 4th Poom.

From the official Kukkiwon web site:
http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/english/examination/examination08.jsp?div=01

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Robinson and Rankins were not under J.H. Lee until the 90's, prior to that, Robinson was the ATA region 107 vice president. They still run their schools like ATA schools and hand out 4th dan black belts to 16 year old kids.

Actually I believe that Lee (it could have been a different MDK JH Lee? I had thought it was a reunion when they rejoined) was Rankins instructor in Korea in 71-2 in the MDK during the transition from TSD to TKD. I'd have to check, but I know that Rankins first belt was Subakdo in Korea etc. I know that Rankins, Robinson and Pierce then were teaching TKD in China in the mid 70's before they came back to the states.

No idea on 16 y/o 4th dans, personally I'd rather have kid pooms etc.

Jphtkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes it is the same Jong Hwan Lee, President of the Pan American Moo Duk Kwan Society... Rankins was in the mail dept. in taiwan while he was in the military, that is where he and Robinson met. Rankins had a first dan cert. from the Kukkiwon, I never heard of him having any other certification. They now run their own Org., UWTA.

Jphtkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
GM Kang brought Lee Jong Hwan here in the 70's as part of a Korean Demo team, where Master Robinson was training. At the time, Master Pierce, Robinson, and Rankins had all moved back from Taiwan. Mike Ajay (who competed in the first world tkd championships) trained there with them as well, and they all went to the ATA shortly after that.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds right yeah.
Anyway, that's my lineage. I haven't seen Rankins in years but did have a chance to reconnect with Robinson a few years back, and I see Pierce a few times a year. Ajay I always liked, though he went back to TSD. I heard he'd also done more 'mma' style work as well, but I haven't trained with him since the 80's.

I know Pierce's original certs are TSD then TKD in MDK, I've seen them, signed by GM Hwang etc. I haven't seen Rankins but I know he told me his first was Subakdo.

The link I found that shows some backstory is:
http://www.folsomtkdctr.com/March2008.htm

Anyway, that's what I have there. Next time I speak with them I can ask further.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just to get the thread back on track, this article pretty much sums up the ATA, regardless of the number of people they have doing MMA.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1518167

She got her first dan at four or five?

I suppose the junior soke belts are being produced as we speak, flashing LEDs and all

Clowns all of them, running a circus that is not even funny anymore

Latest Discussions