New member with questions need advice

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just wanted to add my fathers self defense experiance. He learned tkd from the ymca. Has no idea what federation it was, nor does he care. He has used his several times, including one multi attacker mugging in which he came out on top. From what i know of his training, his teacher had his class fighting each other and guys from korea all the time. I dont know if his teacher did much "realistic" training or not. Tho considering what happend and how he handled them id say he did ok. What are your opinions on this? Was it a lucky fluke, or did he luck out and get a fantastic teacher? Sadly that man is nolonger teaching. I still love watching him do his different katas that he does from time to time.

In my thoughts im drawing heavily from his experiances as well.

Of course he may just be a seriously tough person lol, who learned well and applied well.
I have also used taekwondo in self defense. I have said many times over the years that there is no art that is a silver bullet. That includes TKD, any ryu of karate, MMA, or Krav Maga.

It is not a question of whether or not your dad's teacher was realistic, but he trained with a mindset that enabled him to use it when time came. Also, I'd bet dollars and doughnuts that his basics were rock solid.

It doesn't matter what the art is. Train the techniques so that you can use them without thought. Train them against resisting opponents so that you know what it is like to give and to receives blows. Most importantly, so that you can learn to not be afraid of the mean machine that may want to kill you.

Frankly, I think you are off to a great start. You are getting yourself into better condition and seeking out a place to train. Don't worry about the what. That will take care of itself. Just find the place that is the best fit for you. I think Tez' advice regarding starting out with a TMA first is very sound, but in the end, it is your decision to make and your path to take.

As you train, study up on self defense. JKS gave you some excellent places to start. Keep the mindset that whatever you are training in, you may have to use it for real. Separate out what is 'arty' from what is meat and potatoes.

Remember, basics win fights, both in the ring and out. A solid foundation will serve you better than anything else. Look at your dad's experience.

Best wishes to you!!

Daniel

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well,Im going to order the books that JKS suggested. I look forward to reading them.
Daniel and JKS, please tell me if i got this right. Its about the mindset behind the training. If i stand there and punch abag, jujitsu on the ground or kick a pad, and dont give my goals any thought it wont be of much use. I also need to train with people that will fully resist my efforts, and they need to be random and unpredictable as possible. Above all else my training needs to be with self defense in mind, not competition. Edit to add. Casual training also wont ingrain anything very well and wont be reliable in a situation. Everything has to be practiced often and repeatedly and with correct form.

So JKS am i getting any closer?

Am I missing anything guys?

Daniel and JKS, thanks again for talking with me. I wish i could pick your minds more about this. JKS I would love some tips from you sir, about how to improve my training with regards to sparring and practicing techniques.

Last edited:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're on the right track, as Daniel said. There are a number of threads around MT on these issues. Look for them. You'll find a lot of the answers you want there.

The techniques and principles of many of the martial arts have useful applications, when trained thoroughly and realistically, and when you remove the mindset of dueling or game playing.

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
JKS, again i want to thank you for participating sir. I have learned alot from this thread, and have a good list of books to read as i get them. Im so excited to start training. Were waiting for things with my sons health issues to clear up and get the second car.

I still have several more free visits to go through but man i havnt been this excited in a long time.

In mean time, is there anything i can do to train/prepare? Should i get a punching bag, or that hanging thing that boxers are always hitting. My dad said he would help me work on kicks and punches, but thats mostly gonna be air drills. Any thoughts??

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK, here is my two cents worth. you may take it or leave it.

TMA: depends on what you are calling a TMA. Go look at one of the traditional Okinawan systems of karate, they are SD. The were developed in a life and death environment.
many of the Japanese systems are more geared to sport. Now does this mean that there are not okinawan styles that some one is teaching geared to sport? no, but a good instructor will ask you what you are looking for and teach you with that in mind. also look at most of the old traditional styles of Chinese martial arts. they are also SD. not modern woshu that the communist government sponsors. But the older styles. look at things like older styles of jujitsu they to are combat styles.

Do not think that MMA or BJJ are combat and SD. they are sport.

krav maga and such are troop styles. they have a lot less techniques but are designed to be learned fast and used with ruthlessness. ( but then so are most of the true old styles TMA's! but the old TMA's have a lot more tools to work with, but take longer to learn.)

what it comes down to is, what do you want? how far and long are you willing to go? how hard are you willing to work to get there?

I know that the two okinawan styles I have trained in will flat get the job done in a SD situation! they will do so better then krav as they have more tools to work with, but took me longer to learn. you must simply ask the instructor if he trains for self defense? if so does he train with all the traditional tools including vital points, strikes, take downs. throws, locks and brakes? and go from there...

Latest Discussions