New Kukkiwon President

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
But to be fair that line of seperation can get quite blurry. As an example the WTF offices were in the Kukkiwon at one point. Also the WTF did issue the Dan certificates for a period.
Given that blurry line it will be interesting to watch the evolution as they all come together at the new park and possibly under the Korean Goverment.
Its like our own spanish soap opera : )

Dave O.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
There was a period of a few years in the mid 80's when the WTF issued Dan certs. My 1st Dan (issued in 1985) was issued by the WTF, rather than the KKW.
Thanks Iceman. I did not know that. Seems it was a breif amout of time. http://www.economicexpert.com/a/Kukkiwon.htm so the lines should not be that blurred. Also it was quite some time ago also.

Thanks again.

OP
Laurentkd

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Iceman. I did not know that. Seems it was a breif amout of time. http://www.economicexpert.com/a/Kukkiwon.htm so the lines should not be that blurred. Also it was quite some time ago also.

Thanks again.

Yeah, Iceman is just THAT special... he is AWESOME!!!
icon10.gif

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Thanks again.

Thanks for posting this article, too. It adds details I didn't have.

My 1st Dan has a very different number on it than does my 2nd & 3rd Dans. The first time I pulled my info into the Dan Check part of the KKW site, I was confused. I was still a 1st Dan, but it came up with a number that would later be the number on my 2nd & 3rd Dans. I'd love to know why they felt the need to have such a different Dan number back in 1985.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
An interesting quote from the former Kukkiwon President Dr. Kim:

Dr. Kim visits Japan as a professor every month and goes on business trips at least twice a month. These trips are requested by Taekwondo masters from all over the world seeking his wisdom from his 40 year experience in Taekwondo. Even with his busy schedule, Dr. Kim through this interview stressed one thing. "Kukkiwon, WTF, and KTA need to unite as one to give Taekwondo its future that it deserves."

This was from an interview with Mookas in OCT.

Dave O.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I just got this note (excerpted verbatim below) from a reporter at the JoongAng Daily, one of Korea's largest daily newspapers. I'd contacted him last week regarding the rumors about a new Kukkiwon president and my fears about a takeover of the organization by the South Korean government.

"Dear Mr. Thimangu,

There were talks last week of the Korean government or more specifically the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism forcing the Kukiwon president to step down.

What is for certain is that MCST representatives are
currently looking into bringing some order into Kukiwon.

Those covering the sport say Kukiwon has had its share of problems over the years. Kukiwon officials were involved in disputes in the past and a rift exists among its senior officials.

I understand your worries but from what I hear, the latest move by the government might end up benefiting those inovolved in the sport of taekwondo."

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I posted this link http://www.mookas.us/media_view.asp?news_no=1627, in in another thread by error. The story from Mookas states Lee Seung-Wan is the new Kukkiwon chairman and I'm wondering whether that means he's chairman of the Kukkiwon board, but not the organization's president as Kim Un-Yong and Uhm Woon-Kyu were.

The current structure of the Kukkiwon detailed below shows the president of the organization would be above the board.
http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/english/introduce/introduce05.jsp?div=05

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I just got this e-mail from the Kukkiwon. It confirm Seung-Wan Lee is the new president of the foundation. An Xmas card I recieved before Xmas had stated he was acting president.

[FONT=HY&#54756]Dear Master[/FONT]
[FONT=HY&#54756]I hope this letter finds you in good spirits and you're having a wonderful Christmas holiday. Firstly, I would like to extend my deep appreciation for all your efforts on behalf of the Kukkiwon, and also to express out great appreciation for your concern and assistance you have shown for the year. [/FONT]

[FONT=HY&#54756]As I'm sure you're aware, the Kukkiwon was founded in 1972 with taking Dan and Poom promotion tests, the technical development of Taekwondo, and the Taekwondo demonstration team as its primary roles as the World Taekwondo Headquarters. Also, the Kukkiwon has succeeded in improving the original martial arts spirit of Taekwondo. [/FONT]

[FONT=HY&#54756]We will do our best in the performance of our large responsibilities as the World Taekwondo Headquarters with new changes, such as the innovation of operation system, the improvement of educational system, and the reinforcement of our overseas network.[/FONT]

[FONT=HY&#54756]I wish to say thank you again for all of your great support and your positive cooperation. Please keep on developing Taekwondo and supporting the Kukkiwon. I wish you good luck and much happiness in the following year. Happy New Year!! [/FONT]
[FONT=HY&#54756]2009. Dec. 29[/FONT]​
EMB000009bc18b3.bmp

[FONT=HY&#54756]Seung-Wan, Lee[/FONT]
[FONT=HY&#54756]President[/FONT]
[FONT=HY&#54756]KUKKIWON[/FONT]​

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Have you folks seen this?

Announcement for Selection of “KUKKIWON Overseas Branches”

The KUKKIWON, performing in its role as the World Taekwondo Headquarters, will create new “Overseas Branches” in order to further a New World Taekwondo Culture. Please see details below and actively cooperate in this endeavor. 2009. Dec. 31st KUKKIWON. President. Lee, Seung-Wan

1. Eligibility: The Organizations should abide consist of the following standards and criteria: The Organization must have over one hundred members, including both ‘Regular Members’ and ‘Special Members’ who hold 6th Dan or above Kukkiwon rank.

The Organization must have a central office for contact between members

The Organization should have official methods of contact such as: Telephone, Fax, e-mail, and Internet Homepage. The Organization should employ officers whose role it shall be to take charge of international business.

2. Rights of an Overseas Branch
An ‘Overseas Branch’ shall have all rights to organize, promote and sponsor: Poomsae Seminars, Instructor Courses, and any other event consigned by The KUKKIWON.

An ‘Overseas Branch’ shall have all rights to use KUKKIWON CI and Applications. An ‘Overseas Branch’ shall have all rights to proposals and requests related to the KUKKIWON. Other matters should be cooperated with KUKIWON

3. Obligations of an Overseas Branch The members of an Overseas Branch must follow Kukkiwon Rules & Regulations. The Overseas Branch shall report to The KUKKIWON early in the calendar year upon its plans for the coming year, including a draft budget for Poomsae Seminars, Instructor Courses, and any other events consigned by the KUKKIWON.

The members of an Overseas Branch must participate in host any event consigned by the KUKKIWON at least once a year. The Overseas Branch shall report its regulations and system of organization to the KUKKIWON.

The Overseas Branch shall duly report all documents requested of it by the KUKKIWON.

4. Stages of Selection
Paper selection: Evaluate the plan of the enterprise including the amount of contribution, the pre-experience of group work, the number of members and the gymnasium.

Screening
Official selection and approval of Overseas Branch.

5. Documents to be submitted Application form for KUKKIWON Overseas Branch (see attachment).

CV to be reviewed by President and relevant staff in charge A copy of assembly records of General meetings.
List of organization members. Regulations of organization.

Related documents.
6. Schedule Application
- Application period: 2009.Dec.31st(Thu)~2010.Jan.13th(Wed) 17:00
- How to apply: Visiting (in-person at the KUKKIWON), Fax(82-2-3469-0159) and
E-mail ([email protected])
Screening - Screening period: 2010.Jan.14th(Thu)~Jan.15nd(Fri)

Public announcement of final result
- Date: 2010.Jan.18(Mon)
- Via The KUKKIWON Homepage, and successful applicants will be contacted individually. # Above schedule may change depending upon circumstances.

7. Please note
All submitted documents will not be returned and any applications found to include false information shall be disregarded. Please ensure contact details included are accurate.

If you have any questions relating to this application, please contact The KUKKIWON International Affairs Dept. (Tel. 82-2-3469-0150~3 / e-mail. [email protected])

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Who's willing to wager USTC will be one of the Kukkiwon branches, the subject of my earlier posts?

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wow, this could've had it's own thread.

Lets say USTC becomes one of the branches. Will they limit their Kukkiwon services to only USTC members?

Other than that I have no comment other than: Interesting. Very interesting.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow, this could've had it's own thread.

Lets say USTC becomes one of the branches. Will they limit their Kukkiwon services to only USTC members?

Other than that I have no comment other than: Interesting. Very interesting.

That is too much power to give one organization. I can see the USTC requiring membership for services. That would help the USTC to grow both financially and in size of members. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the "old" regime that was "dismantled". They were very selective on who did what and how. They had to oppurtunity back then to start a kukkiwon program like the USAT has now and chose not to for a reason. This would be another way for "that" group to regain a power over people. Not good. Especially if the Kukkiwon decided to make it so you had to use them....

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
That is too much power to give one organization. I can see the USTC requiring membership for services. That would help the USTC to grow both financially and in size of members. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the "old" regime that was "dismantled"

I agree. Picking one org in the U.S to be the "overseas" branch of Kukkiwon will be a very contentious issue and one likely to resurrect the ugly past and open new battle fronts.

This is total speculation, but I can also see USA Taekwondo (Martial Arts Commission) and other organizations including Grandmaster Duk Gun Kwon's USNTF vying for the Kukkiwon "overseas" branch designation. USA Taekwondo and USNTF both have the numbers and clout to meet the requirements. (In the interest of full disclosure, I am a member of both orgs.)

On another note, the very short deadline for application and the requirement that the applicants' top honchos travel to Korea almost immediately makes the whole process appear to be intentionally rushed or pre-arranged. I have an inkling the new Kukkiwon officials know who they want to designate as an "overseas" branch.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here comes mass corruption once again, letting people be the sole of anything breeds greed into all ways of life. The TKD community should just get up and walk off if it is left in only one group hands.

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There's no guarantee that they will have the sole rights to Kukkiwon services in the U.S.. I can't imagine that they'll take away the ability to send for certificates by mail or online, and I'm positive they won't take away the option to train at the Kukkiwon in Korea. My guess is that they are doing this to create more option for practitioners over here.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
On the website now:
Announcement for Selection of “KUKKIWON Overseas Branches”

The KUKKIWON, performing in its role as the World Taekwondo Headquarters, will create new “Overseas Branches” in order to further a New World Taekwondo Culture. Please see details below and actively cooperate in this endeavor.

2009. Dec. 31st
KUKKIWON. President. Lee, Seung-Wan

1. Eligibility: The Organizations should abide consist of the following standards and criteria:
&#9312; The Organization must have over one hundred members, including both ‘Regular Members’ and ‘Special Members’ who hold 6th Dan or above Kukkiwon rank.
&#9313; The Organization must have a central office for contact between members
&#9314; The Organization should have official methods of contact such as: Telephone, Fax, e-mail, and Internet Homepage.
&#9315; The Organization should employ officers whose role it shall be to take charge of international business.

2. Rights of an Overseas Branch
&#9312; An ‘Overseas Branch’ shall have all rights to organize, promote and sponsor: Poomsae Seminars, Instructor Courses, and any other event consigned by The KUKKIWON.
&#9313; An ‘Overseas Branch’ shall have all rights to use KUKKIWON CI and Applications.
&#9314; An ‘Overseas Branch’ shall have all rights to proposals and requests related to the KUKKIWON.
&#9315; Other matters should be cooperated with KUKIWON

3. Obligations of an Overseas Branch
&#9312; The members of an Overseas Branch must follow Kukkiwon Rules & Regulations.
&#9313; The Overseas Branch shall report to The KUKKIWON early in the calendar year upon its plans for the coming year, including a draft budget for Poomsae Seminars, Instructor Courses, and any other events consigned by the KUKKIWON.
&#9314; The members of an Overseas Branch must participate in host any event consigned by the KUKKIWON at least once a year.
&#9315; The Overseas Branch shall report its regulations and system of organization to the KUKKIWON.
&#9316; The Overseas Branch shall duly report all documents requested of it by the KUKKIWON.