new ITF instructor in our WTF school makes me weary

J

Jim Tindell

About a year or so ago, a man moved into the area. He was from Minnesota, and trained to black belt in ITF Taekwondo. We are a WTF-based dojang. My head instructor, who will soon be a 4th dan, works a lot of oddball hours (he's a police officer), so he does not make it to class very often. The ITF guy is in his mid-30s. When my instructor is away, he depends on us to teach class, which we are more than happy to do.

Mr. Brian (ITF guy) is a really great guy. He's very exceptional in his art, and a great teacher. The only problem I have, is that he is starting to bring some ITF material into our WTF school. He's using slightly different terminology, and discusses his ITF forms to our students. We are the same rank (along with another 1st dan who is my age), but since Mr. Brian is so much older than us, the students are more willing to learn from his instruction rather than our's. That is respectable from my viewpoint; we have a lot of older adult students in the class, and I'm sure they would rather learn material from someone their age instead of some high school kids.

It just makes me weary during class. I am very passionate about our school's history in the WTF, and seeing this new ITF stuff makes me feel nervous about where class will be headed in the future when I end up moving away for college, and he is still there teaching. I do not want to sound disrespectful and talk with him about it, I'm just not that much of a straight-forward person when it comes to talking with adults. Any advice as to what I should do?

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I would suggest that you present this information to your main instructor (police officer). He may in fact already know what is happening and gave his permission for this new instructor to add some of his training concepts.

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Young Sir,

Personally, I believe you should not address him regarding the issue. Primarily, you are not the chief instructor or owner of the dojang. You are not aware of any arraingement between the gent and you instructor.

There is no problem with your questioning the situation, however I would suggest that you inquire to the dojang head. He has the final say so and will be aware of any arraingements between himself and the other gentleman!

TAEKWON!
Spookey

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So what you both csn learn from one another. You do have something in common TKD that is a starting point as far as the way he run's class talk to the main gy his Dojaang his Rules.

Akashiro Tamaya

Green Belt
Reaction score
Jim Tindell said:
The only problem I have, is that he is starting to bring some ITF material into our WTF school. He's using slightly different terminology, and discusses his ITF forms to our students.

So what's wrong with learning the ITF style ?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
For one, it's very confusing to a beginner to learn the basic kicks which I believe are taught differently and if also different terminology is used, it makes it that much more confusing. Also ITF has different kicks. I never heard of a turning kick until I realized one woman in our WTF school was given an option of kicking with the ball of the foot... then in posts on MT, it, the turning kick was mentioned as being the same as a roundhouse kick. But our execution is totally different.

I would also talk to the head instructor on what he wants to teach. His school and curriculum. TW

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jim Tindell said:
It just makes me weary during class. I am very passionate about our school's history in the WTF, and seeing this new ITF stuff makes me feel nervous about where class will be headed in the future when I end up moving away for college, and he is still there teaching. I do not want to sound disrespectful and talk with him about it, I'm just not that much of a straight-forward person when it comes to talking with adults. Any advice as to what I should do?

Sounds more like he's making you wary vs making you tired then. ;)

Either way, I'd go with talking to the primary instructor over telling him to shape up. The general etiquette goes that if it's his class, it's his rules. The term mixing's probably more just habit compared to any particular pro ITF agenda. If you've called a roundhouse kick a side turning kick for several years for example, switching terminology doesn't happen overnight...

I've been in your place though. In college I was going to a USTF club on campus. A WTF blackbelt came for a few classes, and stepped in and taught a few when the instructor couldn't make it there. Very different workout, and it was not especially helpful to be told to do side kicks the "right way" (intial chamber with the knee infront vs cocking the leg near the supporting knee etc) do turning kicks with the instep etc when none of that was applicable to our testing or execution of technique. It did grate, even though the BB was a great MA'ist he put usthrough a good workout each time and was doing our instructor a favor.

Akashiro Tamaya

Green Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
For one, it's very confusing to a beginner to learn the basic kicks which I believe are taught differently and if also different terminology is used, it makes it that much more confusing. Also ITF has different kicks. I never heard of a turning kick until I realized one woman in our WTF school was given an option of kicking with the ball of the foot... then in posts on MT, it, the turning kick was mentioned as being the same as a roundhouse kick. But our execution is totally different.

I would also talk to the head instructor on what he wants to teach. His school and curriculum. TW

A rose with different name would still smell just as sweet tiger woman, My question was aimed toward the first poster who grew weary learning ITS style as opposed to WTF style.

All I am trying to convey is that there is absolutle nothing wrong with sticking to school curricullum, but I would not limit oneself of learning something different.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
In WTF style, we do snap spin heels vs wheelhouse as they are discouraged heartily. We do snap round kicks on the instep never doing a wide swing and the list goes on. These methods are ingrained as good vs bad habits so an ITF stylist would be very disrupting. Training in one style usually brings about a proficiency which works and doesn't need to be altered. TW

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
In WTF style, we do snap spin heels vs wheelhouse as they are discouraged heartily. We do snap round kicks on the instep never doing a wide swing and the list goes on. These methods are ingrained as good vs bad habits so an ITF stylist would be very disrupting. Training in one style usually brings about a proficiency which works and doesn't need to be altered. TW
Yeah. Learning that the techniques actually do work would be a shock to the system.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Marginal said:
Yeah. Learning that the techniques actually do work would be a shock to the system.

No its never a shock to learn WTF techniques work, unless it has been in yours??? TW

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thing is, I've never said WTF techniques don't work.

"Training in one style usually brings about a proficiency which works and doesn't need to be altered."

Well, great.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The problem is, you can't just bring in a Tae Kwon Do Instructor from a different organization and expect there to be continuity. WTF Tae Kwon Do and ITF Tae Kwon Do are not the same. They emphasize different aspects, perform technique differently, and have different forms. How would you expect an ITF Instructor to know the Palgue, Tae Geuk, or Koryo forms?
It's one thing to experience an ITF instructor and learn what the differences are, but an ITF Instructor cannot teach a WTF class, and vice versa.

Think of it like this: You practice Ed Parker's American Kenpo. Your Instructor brings in a Tracy Kenpo instructor to teach long term. You're telling me the curriculum would remain the same? It's all Kenpo right?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brad Dunne said:
He may in fact already know what is happening and gave his permission for this new instructor to add some of his training concepts.
I think this is good advice.

As has been mentioned, there are different methodologies between the two systems. If this gentleman is teaching beginners they may get confused, which is never good.

Perhaps your instructor wants your class to be exposed to the differences between the two systems?

At any rate, you might suggest to the head instructor that the class be broken up by rank so that the ITF gentleman get a chance to work with the more advanced students who will be able to appreciate the differences and not be as easily confused.

Having this gentleman in your club is an opportunity, not a threat.

Miles

Latest Discussions