New guy

Will

White Belt
Reaction score
For the last several years I've been wanting to get into martial arts. For some reason I thought I'm too old to start. After researching it, I realize it's perfectly normal to start as an adult. So here I am at age 31 looking to start.

I haven't signed up anywhere yet. I've found a school I like. I met with the Grand Master there Friday evening. I was hoping to observe a class, but they were having belt testing so no classes. I emailed him this morning asking if I can observe one this week. I'm 99% sold on this school (http://www.yangsmartialart.com/). From the website, "At Yang's Martial Arts School, we practice Sun Moo Do, which combines the arts of Tae Kwon Do, Hap Ki Do, Kung Jung Moo Sul, Gumdo, Meditation and Ki Training."

The one thing causing a little hesitation is that it requires a contract for a minimum of one year. It's not that I think I won't enjoy it and want to quit.. it's more of my personal issue of hating contracts!

Any advice for a guy my age getting into this, I'd appreciate it.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not a big contract fan myself, when they are forced. At my school, my Sifu has a 3 month sign-up that is non-refundable, but you can CHOOSE that or do just monthly plans.

Are there any other schools in your area?

OP
W

Will

White Belt
Reaction score
Not a big contract fan myself, when they are forced. At my school, my Sifu has a 3 month sign-up that is non-refundable, but you can CHOOSE that or do just monthly plans.

Are there any other schools in your area?

There are other schools.. but they are more expensive with less class time, and I wasn't as impressed with them. There is one more I have an inquiry out to though, so we'll see about that one.
Even though a contract is required, I don't get the impression this is a "buy a belt" type of school if that's what you're wondering (I can't say the same for the others I've talked to so far).

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
no... your never too old. my instructor is probably in his early fifties or late forties been in a bad wreck (and still able to do most the kicks and stuff and the splits too(close enough)

welcome to martial talk!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT.

You're a long way from being "too old"... Our oldest student is 70. She was promoted to 2nd Geup this month. If she can do it...

I'm not at all a fan of contracts myself and we do not use them. I do understand why some commercial schools use them, I just don't agree that they're necessary.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For the last several years I've been wanting to get into martial arts. For some reason I thought I'm too old to start...

You're never too old to start in the MAs Newguy!! I was really interested in being a martial artist when I was a kid in the 70's watching Bruce Lee movies, but I was always too busy to follow up on it & just kept blowing it off. It wasn't until I was in my 30's and I finally became really serious about the martial arts and began training so hardcore. So, for the record, you're never too old to begin your journey in the martial arts, I've done it and so can you... :asian:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
The one thing causing a little hesitation is that it requires a contract for a minimum of one year. It's not that I think I won't enjoy it and want to quit.. it's more of my personal issue of hating contracts!

Any advice for a guy my age getting into this, I'd appreciate it.

You aren't too old and I would never sign a one year contract. Maybe if you had a long term history with this guy, but you don't. Quite frankly the industry stats are something like "you lose 90% of students in 90 days." I would offer to sign a shorter contract, even if the monthly cost was higher. Too much risk for a first try at martial arts. Where are you located?

OP
W

Will

White Belt
Reaction score
After stopping by and observing a class last night, I got a bad vibe. There were about 12 people in the class and 4 of them were kids. Smallest guy out there, maybe 5 years old, had a black belt. A kid that looked no older than 13 with a green belt was half-assing everything and looked to be having a miserable time. If I had the option of month to month maybe I would still try this one, but I'm going to continue searching. Not going to make a commitment of $110/month for 12 months on a place where I'm not sure I like the people.

There is a Muay Thai school about 15 minutes from me that's offering a 30 day free pass. I've already submitted my info and they should be contacting me. If that goes well, I'll be trying that out.

Also, if there is anyone in the Lansdale, PA area that happens to be reading this thread and has experience first hand with schools in the area, I'd love suggestions.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
A five year old black belt.

A one year contract.

So the kid started when he was 4? Weird. I would say, "Steer clear."

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hate contracts. Too much happens in life that may interfere with ones study or ability to pay.
I hate 5 year old Black Belts sorry I have higher requirements including mental age and trust before giving a person a black belt.
But thats just me. If you get a bad vibe do not go there it is that simple. If you like the place then you have to make up your mind if it is the only place around you can study.

oh I forgot to mention I have 2 friends in Canada that just received their Black Belts after many years of study each and they are both well over 50

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
For the last several years I've been wanting to get into martial arts. For some reason I thought I'm too old to start.
Sorry, I have to say this, its required...OLD!!!! I have a leather jacket older than you...ok now that we have got through the prerequisite

[/quote]
Any advice for a guy my age getting into this, I'd appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

Find a good teacher and start training

After stopping by and observing a class last night, I got a bad vibe. There were about 12 people in the class and 4 of them were kids. Smallest guy out there, maybe 5 years old, had a black belt. A kid that looked no older than 13 with a green belt was half-assing everything and looked to be having a miserable time. If I had the option of month to month maybe I would still try this one, but I'm going to continue searching. Not going to make a commitment of $110/month for 12 months on a place where I'm not sure I like the people.

There is a Muay Thai school about 15 minutes from me that's offering a 30 day free pass. I've already submitted my info and they should be contacting me. If that goes well, I'll be trying that out.

Also, if there is anyone in the Lansdale, PA area that happens to be reading this thread and has experience first hand with schools in the area, I'd love suggestions.

I do not like contracts and I do not believe anyone should have a black belt before they are 18, but that is just me and my antiquated old school thinking. Check out the Muay Thai school also just doing a Google search based on the other schools address it appears you have a several schools in your area you could check out

OP
W

Will

White Belt
Reaction score
I do not like contracts and I do not believe anyone should have a black belt before they are 18, but that is just me and my antiquated old school thinking. Check out the Muay Thai school also just doing a Google search based on the other schools address it appears you have a several schools in your area you could check out

I'm aware of the schools in the area.. I have inquiries out to just about all of them. A couple of them have invited me to check out a class. I will do so. I have an appointment with the Muay Thai school Thursday night. Although I've found out (after I scheduled) a contract is required. This is just an appointment to check things out, and they said it's an introductory private session.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
this is the first Ive heard of these "contracts" how do they work exactly?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Baby black belts are a frequent topic of discussion. Personally, I don't care for them. I got my first 1st Dan (ITF Taekwon-Do) when I was 13, and in retrospect I would say that was too young. The school I am with now (Moo Duk Kwan Taekwondo) uses 18 as a general guide for how old people need to be before consideration for promotion to 1st Dan. But there are certainly (rare) exceptions. We issued a 1st Dan last summer to a 17 year old girl. She'd been training in this school since she was 7 or 8 years old and is a remarkable young lady in many ways.

As far as the green belt goes... anybody can have a bad day (especially at that age...) and it's often totally unrelated to their MA training.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
One thing I wanted to add: I don't mind when a contract is VOLUNTARY. What do I mean? The school I go to offers several payment plans. The more you pay ahead, the more you save per month...but you CAN pay monthly. When it is the only option though, it seems sketchy. They may tell you something like, "Well if you sink all that money into it, then you are more likely to come." They know that isn't the truth!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Take a real hard look at the school before you sign the contract. That 30 day trial sounds the better deal regardless of what you eventually choose to do.

Is this your guy ?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qqJVaNIlY

By the way doing a Thai camp is not a good indicator of good muay Thai. I am not saying he is bad just still looking. Muay Thai is generally pretty simple to judge.

Do they have fighters that win fights?

Are they reasonable people to train with?

Obligitory old guy comment. We had a dude come in at 55 train for twelve weeks and fight a boxing match.( an exhibition)

If that is the one they are a non competitive club. Look I don't know. what else is out there?
http://www.fusiontrainingcenter.com/kickboxing.html

Last edited:

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have taught an 82 year old so you're a young guy! :) Many school owners have large financial committments with their landlord, so in an effort not to go bankrupt also use contracts to try and ensure a steady income. We have contracts , however, we also offer pay as you go month to month. There are also laws that allow you to escape the contract in certain cases. Ask the owner about the cancellation policy. Contracts can be good or bad. It's how they are used that makes the difference.

Latest Discussions