Nerves

Just4Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have a grading on Friday for my blue belt, and I am very nervous. In my last class I felt like a lump, my back kick was shocking. :S

So, how do you guys deal with pre examination jitters?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have no fear most people get that feeling when testing early in their studies. Many never get used to testing and always go into a test with fear, I think this is good because you try harder to learn the material and to do your best. I am sure if you are testing you are ready for the promotin and will do well. Just take a moment befor the test to settle your mind then go out and give it all you have

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jitters are just part of your training go with it and try not to supress it. I'am sure you will be fine.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you, I get the jitters something chronic. I find that having a laugh with the other students before we go in helps a lot, I don't practice much before on the day, I tend to try and relax and put it out of my mind for a bit. If I practice I only mess it up and it makes me worse.

Chizikunbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have a grading on Friday for my blue belt, and I am very nervous. In my last class I felt like a lump, my back kick was shocking. :S

So, how do you guys deal with pre examination jitters?
Look at this it this way, if you dont pass you are still your current rank ;-P If you do pass great, just give it your best, knowing its all you can do. I also find Dan Jun Ho Bup to be helpful (deep breathing exercises) breath into your lower abdomen right below your navel in your nose, out your mouth...
Best of all have fun with it, this is a learning experience, learn from it ;-)
--josh

cubankenpo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi bro
Dont b worring 4 that, Its normal 2 feel these feelings before testing, the way u domnate it is the repetition before ur performance, the concentration in the situation , testing are mental situation so u must control ur nerves,I know if ur testing ur prepared 2 do it
plzz write us to tell the results, we know u gonna get good results
good luck buddy
Joe

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you are nervous before testing, it proves that you are taking the testing seriously, as you should do. On the other hand, remember that your instructor shouldn't let you test if you can't pass - there're no guarantees, but I won't let my students test if they can't pass, as setting them up for failure just seems rude - but I have had students get up for testing, and either not take it seriously or be so nervous they mess up in a serious fashion.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I found that to be ready for a belt test the best approach is to just train, train, train, and train hard, and just be so prepared that you just go through the motions without even thinking or without having any hesitation.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
For my last test, I trained and then I stopped. I have a picture of me sleeping underneath a table while waiting for the test to start. If you are ready it will happen, be ready!

OP
J

Just4Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I guess I'll treat it like I usually do, go in with single minded focus and ignore the crowd.

I trust my instructor so all I need to do is not lose it.

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
getting control of your feelings is part of the test that others may or not see. control your nerves or fear of failing is hard to control.to learn to master hidden pressure is a art in its self ,practise your breathing skills use your forms to help clear your mind. Good Luck in testing! I am more jitter-ly when I post the names to my master to test than at any other time. I do not want my students to fail. All the best in the arts

OP
J

Just4Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
I never got to the grading. On thursday night, while I was on a treadmil; my heart stopped.

For five minutes my heart stopped and started, and nothing I could do would fix it.

Then, I went to a doctor, who sent me to another, and another. Test after test, and they have no idea what it was.

They think it was a fribulation, and I'm getting a heart monitor when one becomes available.

I was forbidden to grade, and I think I'm not allowed to go to classes either. I'm only sixteen, and I never expected this to happen.

I just don't know what to do.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I never got to the grading. On thursday night, while I was on a treadmil; my heart stopped.

For five minutes my heart stopped and started, and nothing I could do would fix it.

Then, I went to a doctor, who sent me to another, and another. Test after test, and they have no idea what it was.

They think it was a fribulation, and I'm getting a heart monitor when one becomes available.

I was forbidden to grade, and I think I'm not allowed to go to classes either. I'm only sixteen, and I never expected this to happen.

I just don't know what to do.

Irregular heartbeat is something that can happen to anyone. I strongly suggest discussing your concerns with your instructor, your doctor, your parents, and anyone else who might have reasonable input - your school guidance counselor, perhaps - although a lot is going to depend on what the medical tests show. It could be a valve irregularity (generally fixable); it could be a panic attack; it could be lots of things - until your doctor diagnoses it, and tells you what you can and can't do, please be careful!

Let us know what the doctor says - and remember, TKD will be there for you when you and your body are ready, and can be adapted if needed - but please don't put yourself in the way of potential harm to train - it'll be waiting when you're ready.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Irregular heartbeat is something that can happen to anyone. I strongly suggest discussing your concerns with your instructor, your doctor, your parents, and anyone else who might have reasonable input - your school guidance counselor, perhaps - although a lot is going to depend on what the medical tests show. It could be a valve irregularity (generally fixable); it could be a panic attack; it could be lots of things - until your doctor diagnoses it, and tells you what you can and can't do, please be careful!

Let us know what the doctor says - and remember, TKD will be there for you when you and your body are ready, and can be adapted if needed - but please don't put yourself in the way of potential harm to train - it'll be waiting when you're ready.

Please pay attention to what Kacey is saying, you may have had an anxiety attack or it may be something more serious, either way don't worry about TKD until you know what you're dealing with.

On the subject of the original post, most instructors won't ask you to test if you aren't ready, and if you don't pass the test you are in the same position you are right now, you don't lose anything. Tests are a way to see how you perform under stress, usually the stress of testing. Relax and enjoy the experience, you have nothing to lose. I realize for some people it's easier said than done, but the more relaxed you are, the better you perform.

tkd_Jaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Don't worry. I tested last week and I was shaking. Review your material a few hours before you test and then have some fun. Rest your mind and be confident. I'm sure that you will do awesome! =)

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I look at belt test the same as tournament competition. Train so hard that when you get there it is a piece of cake. I know for my blue belt tests, (Hapkido and Tae Kwon Do) that I was so relaxed that mentally I thought "See, I did what you told me. You are a good teacher."

Now, the studying and training is a whole different story. It was nerve racking for a while. Let me ask, do you know in advance when you will test? Is it a month, two weeks, or not much at all.

If you do your homework you will be fine.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have you seen a physician? If so, are you medically cleared to train, test?

Good Luck!

Miles

Latest Discussions