I may not test this week

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello All:

As most of you know, I plan on testing this week for my 3rd Dan. I found out today that my wife's favorite cousin died today at 58 years old. Arrangements haven't been made yet, but we might need to go to South Dakota this week instead of Florida. I can test anytime. Family is first, always.

I'll letcha know as I know.

Please pray for the family of Don Livesay.
Thanks

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello All:

As most of you know, I plan on testing this week for my 3rd Dan. I found out today that my wife's favorite cousin died today at 58 years old. Arrangements haven't been made yet, but we might need to go to South Dakota this week instead of Florida. I can test anytime. Family is first, always.

Thanks

You and the family will be in my prayers. :asian:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Prayers for the family and you.

:asian:

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Iceman, I'm so sorry to hear this. Will be thinking of you and your poor family...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Iceman family always comes first if you need anything let me know.
Terry

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Iceman,

I'm sure that you'll pass your test whenever you take it, you're right, family always comes first. You and the family will be in my prayers. :asian:

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Iceman,

I am here to tell you with all sincerity that you and your family have my deepest condolences. Take the bereavement time, the test can wait. When it comes to family, that is the most important period.

Take care my friend.

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Iceman, I'm so sorry to hear about the family situation. You have my deepest sympathy, and will be in our prayers.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello All:

Thanks

Family is always first. Having gone through a death in my close family recently I wish you and your wife a safe trip. My thoughts with the family.

Lisa

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My condolences to you and your family. It's good to know there are still people out there who have their priorities in the right order. Testing will wait until your family is taken care of.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, I know that I am going to burn in hell for this but my suggestion, Iceman, do the test if you can. Yeah, I know I am cold, so what? When I am dead and in the ground I won't really give a ---- about anything. The living, on the other hand, still worry about a lot of small things. Get the test out of the way and move on. You can always grieve tomorrow.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK, I know that I am going to burn in hell for this but my suggestion, Iceman, do the test if you can. Yeah, I know I am cold, so what? When I am dead and in the ground I won't really give a ---- about anything. The living, on the other hand, still worry about a lot of small things. Get the test out of the way and move on. You can always grieve tomorrow.

Thank you all so much for your condolences. As of this moment, we're still planning on making the trip to Florida for the test.

It's funny, all of my martial arts friends (with the exception of Master Wade) agree that the test can wait. But, my wife's father & other family members are saying, "go take the test & have fun!" (My FIL went so far as to say, "Don would have been ticked-off that you missed your opportunity to do this now."

My dad learned a phrase from his dad that he passed on to me. "In life, there are only two things you need to do: visit the sick & bury the dead." As morbid as it sounds, it was a very important thing to my dad. It has colored my work as a minister, hospital chaplain & social worker. It very important to me that people know we care when they hurt the most.

I'm not sure what will happen this week, but I appreciate your concern. (Master Wade, I appreciate your thoughts as well. The decenting opinion is always valid.:asian:)

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IMO you have your priorities in order, you put your family first. Your family knows and understands and has expressed their opinion. You are fortunate to have family that understands how important martial arts are to you and supports you. Whatever you decide will be the right decision, supported by your loved ones, and you can't ask for more than that.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It sounds like your family supports you and cares for you very much.

My feeling here is that they would feel that they kept you from the test, if they hadn't have said this, I would be saying "the test can wait", but supporting someone when they need it includes honouring their wishes even when they don't seem to make sense.

I can't tell you what to do, but in those circumstances, I'd take the test, they might need the good news to boost them!

Whatever you decide, good luck and take care. Safe journey.