Need Advice

S

Sparks

Guest
Hello,

Im in a bad situation where I can no longer pursue martial arts studies due to my revised work schedule. I am working a second shift Monday to Friday and after checking out many martial arts schools in my area no one has any morning classes to offer. So Im snafu-ed with formal training for an indefinite period of time.

I do have some basics as far as MA training with tae kwon do. Can anyone suggest a way I can keep in form while being away from the Dojang? I really hate to quit formal training but duty calls and I dont want to step backwards with my development. Is there any other martial art training I could pursue to complement TKD I could do solo? What Im looking for is a way to schedule my mornings with some practice to keep in shape and keep my skills sharp, if not improve them. Any suggestions for a workout program I could pursue is much appreciated. Thanks!
 

Miles

Senior Master
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
2,254
Reaction score
55
Location
Metro-Detroit
It's hard when life interferes with training! :(

Do you have anyone from your work or your dojang who would like to train with you in the mornings? I have found that having another person to train with helps with consistency and intensity of the workout. If you are very dedicated and can train on a heavy bag/perform your poomsae, etc, that is good, but it helps to get the feedback from another person.

Good Luck! I've been there and it is hard.

Miles
 

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Joined
May 27, 2004
Messages
27,182
Reaction score
485
Location
Not BC, Not DC
Have you looked at any community colleges in your area or parks and rec? You may or may not find some quality instruction there, but it at least keeps you in the game, so to speak.

Miles' suggestion of putting a request out there for a training partner in the AM might work too - talk to your instructor and see if there's a high ranking color belt that is available in the mornings to train with or if you can train on the weekends at all, do that.

If you can't find anyone, just practice all that you know (run material first, repeatedly) and work up some combinations, shadow-spar and work the bag and work accuracy whenever you can.

Good luck, man.
 

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Joined
Apr 27, 2004
Messages
565
Reaction score
6
Location
England
shesulsa said:
Have you looked at any community colleges in your area or parks and rec? You may or may not find some quality instruction there, but it at least keeps you in the game, so to speak.

Miles' suggestion of putting a request out there for a training partner in the AM might work too - talk to your instructor and see if there's a high ranking color belt that is available in the mornings to train with or if you can train on the weekends at all, do that.

If you can't find anyone, just practice all that you know (run material first, repeatedly) and work up some combinations, shadow-spar and work the bag and work accuracy whenever you can.

Good luck, man.
I agree, work the bag, spar against the bag, throw up some combinations. Read a couple of books on what your interested in, try some things out (get somebody if you can to see if your performing it correctly).
Try new ideas like the paper on a thread for accuracy.
I'm not a fan of forms (or patterns if you like) but try the TKD ones that we learn. Set yourself goals.
Keep limber and stretch, go for jogs, do interval training. That'll keep you on top form even if you are not doing formal training.
While your jogging throw out your arms and pratice moves. Try something silly like bouncing of lamposts or something lol!
Anything works! Have fun!

Regards
 

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Joined
Apr 23, 2003
Messages
6,775
Reaction score
85
Location
Utah
I had a similar problem, but it was because my husband worked nights and I had to miss 50% of my training (child care is difficult to find at night). My answer to the solution was to take more private lessons during the day from my instructor (I work in the day, so I take the lessons during my lunch breaks). It went on for a few months until my husband was able to switch to day time work and I could return to my night time training.

If your instructor is willing, you could ask about private lessons?

- Ceicei
 

bdparsons

Black Belt
Joined
Mar 24, 2002
Messages
522
Reaction score
14
Location
Raleigh, NC, USA
I agree with Ceicei, approach your instructor about the possibility of private lessons that do fit into your schedule. If the instructor senses dedication, you may be surprised what they will agree to. If they are unwilling, don't be afraid to ask for help in finding someone who will.

Due to my funky work schedule my teaching schedule restricts itself to early morning hours (5:30-6:30am weekdays and 7-9:30am Saturdays). Not a whole lot of folks interested, but I know that the ones who show up are serious.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute
 

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2003
Messages
30,187
Reaction score
430
Location
Cromwell,CT
Sparks said:
Hello,

Im in a bad situation where I can no longer pursue martial arts studies due to my revised work schedule. I am working a second shift Monday to Friday and after checking out many martial arts schools in my area no one has any morning classes to offer. So Im snafu-ed with formal training for an indefinite period of time.

I do have some basics as far as MA training with tae kwon do. Can anyone suggest a way I can keep in form while being away from the Dojang? I really hate to quit formal training but duty calls and I dont want to step backwards with my development. Is there any other martial art training I could pursue to complement TKD I could do solo? What Im looking for is a way to schedule my mornings with some practice to keep in shape and keep my skills sharp, if not improve them. Any suggestions for a workout program I could pursue is much appreciated. Thanks!

I work a rotating shift, where I change every 2 months, so I know where you're coming from. A few things that you can do.

1- Keep doing what you can on your own. Doing forms, punches, kicks, SD, will at least keep you somewhat involved.

2- Are there classes on Saturday that you could go to? If there are, then that is another option.

3- What about private lessons? While you won't have the luxury of working with a variety of people, you will at least be training.

Mike
 

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
1,741
Reaction score
31
Location
Gulf States
Speaking from a instructor's point:

One of my student's started to work second shift.

I arranged two classes/workouts a week after his shift ends.

His session is Midinight to 3am.

I work a regular job from 8am to 2pm

This gives me only abput 3-4 hours of actual sleep from those noghts on his schedule.

But he is dedicated and had been "with" me for 14 years....so he is worth it.
 

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Joined
Aug 28, 2001
Messages
44,569
Reaction score
448
Location
Terre Haute, IN
You need to find a local training partner. Try networking with other local martial artists or something like Friendster or even an ad in the local paper.

Is taking private lessons an option for you? Even once a week, or every other week?
 
OP
S

Sparks

Guest
Thank you all so much for your advice- this has really helped me see outside of the box with my problem. I started looking around and discovered my local YMCA has Hapkido classes offered Saturdays as well as a week day. I can attend a two hour session once a week at a price lower than the dojang charges and pump some iron on the side to boot!

To 47martialman: I am awestruck by your commitment to your student who works 2nd shift! Wow- midnight to 3AM twice per week! You and your student are truly dedicated and your example has made me look at my situation through a new pair of eyes. I bow respectfully to both of you.
 

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
1,741
Reaction score
31
Location
Gulf States
Sparks said:
1.)Thank you all so much for your advice- this has really helped me see outside of the box with my problem. I started looking around and discovered my local YMCA has Hapkido classes offered Saturdays as well as a week day. I can attend a two hour session once a week at a price lower than the dojang charges and pump some iron on the side to boot!

2.)To 47martialman: I am awestruck by your commitment to your student who works 2nd shift! Wow- midnight to 3AM twice per week! You and your student are truly dedicated and your example has made me look at my situation through a new pair of eyes. I bow respectfully to both of you.
1.) Go for it. Hapkido is a nice art to study. I had studied for some time, but I could not continue. It was offered by one of my instructors whom also taught TKD. I had preferred the Hapkido classes over the TKD. I had enjoyed the applications.


2.) Hey thanks for the comment. I really wasnt seeking such a nice reply. In fact we were supposed to workout last night (Mon-April 11) at midnight/central time. But there was a storm. So we are going to workout tonight (Tues April 12-same time) In fact, I didn't mention that I had to drive a hour on straight highway to get to him.

I have a family, a loving and understanding wife with a 6 year old daughter. It is easy for me to leave the house around 10:30pm, because they are already asleep for the next work/school day. So I still get evenings to gather with them.

A present situation, my student is doing major repairs on his vehicle, as soon as this is done, we are going to "alternate the drive"

Good grace in your classes-it is nice to see that you remain a martial artist.
 

Latest Discussions

Top