Naming Your Sword

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you bow to your screwdriver
Yes, because it knows how to hurt me and I can't seem to defend myself when it wants to.

Just today I was fixing some pantry cabinets and got a nice puncture wound in the tip of my left index finger. Lucky for me I'm freshly tetanus vaccined from a recent knee scalping.

But today, screwdriver was master. I think I'll name him Frank, after his inventor.

I love to name all my tools, and especially my weapons. All my plants have names too.

Wait....what do you mean by "the bullet that flies past him as he cleaves it with his katana".

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very interesting to read about how a sword has no life, yet many who are engaged in Asian martial arts, including those connected to Shinto spiritualism, practice the forms of those "war" arts as reverently as any religion. Even bows are done to respect human persons who are not of the Western stigma of any god. How besmirking to comment that to name a sword, because it is lifeless and "just a tool" it is! Many have never seen the spiritual connection between the life student, his katana, and the bullet that flies past him as he cleaves it with his katana. Why should he bow to his sword in his practice of iaido? Do you bow to your screwdriver or your bullets? I dare to say none here who bow before another human would have any understanding as to why the student of iaido bows before his katana... or anyone before anything. Perhaps once one understands that to bow to the sword is not demeaning, but, it is a matter of respect for the spirituality that is represented... or contained within, the birth of such an item. Surely the rubber stamping of thousands of toy swords and military playthings do not illicit a reverence for the purpose nor the thread of connection to all things around... or should they? The Japanese have a way of understanding their connection to the spirituality of all things, living and nonliving. Shintoism is a religious practice that aids that understanding. Naming a child gives a human an identity as one that commands fundamental respect for human life. Woe be it to every human to provide a similar spirituality for things that represent the bringing of death. We should be so kind no?
Something you might want to consider is that this thread is in the KOREAN sword area. So why should we care about Japanese attitudes or ways of thinking?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else, but I was really shocked when I realized folks were talking about actual swords. I just presumed this was polite kink.

Latest Discussions