Name of technique?

Brains911

White Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know the name of this technique, i believe its an alteration.

a palm heel to the chin which takes the head back and the balance with it. After this, pressure is maintained on the chin, pushing the head back as Tori's inner leg does an osoto gari type sweep while stepping in and pushing the head backwards and downwards simultaneously.

Thanks

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is no single name universally used for anything… certain systems have taken prominence in their naming conventions, but even so, the names chosen there are not the only, or the official names at all, other than for that organisation.

That said, it certainly sounds like a simple variation of a type of Osoto Nage… but to get the official name, you'd need to ask where you learnt it what they call it.

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is correct, but in this article... http://www.karatebyjesse.com/funakoshi-9-throws-shotokan-karate/
...it's called Byobu Daoshi.

"...and proceed by quickly grabbing the attacking wrist with your blocking hand while forcefully slamming and grabbing the chin/throat of your opponent with your free hand. At the same time, swiftly step behind your opponent and trip him backwards over your leg (similar to Judo’s osotogari throw)."

Edit: Chris Parker is right, though. The name is going to be different from place to place.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
a palm heel to the chin which takes the head back and the balance with it.
In CMA, it's called "托(Tuo) – chin pushing".

Chang_chin_push.jpg

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Looks like a variation of the Korean Kaunde Sonbadak Miro Makgi, or Middle Palm Pushing Block.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Better a chin push, and drop. It will "S" the spine, giving you all the time in the world, to reposition to do something else, mean. :)

Tired_Yeti

Green Belt
Reaction score
A grab is always good though. What have I got when I have two small balls in my hand? answer... a man's undivided attention. :eek:

Monkey Picks The Peach...and makes some peach cobbler with it!

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Fingers should be in the eyes at this point.

When you push up your opponent's chin, your fingers won't be able to reach to his eyes. When you use your whole palm to cover his face so your fingers can reach to his eyes and your palm can smash on his nose, that's different move. In CMA, that's called "摀(Wu) – face covering".

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you push up your opponent's chin, your fingers won't be able to reach to his eyes. When you use your whole palm to cover his face so your fingers can reach to his eyes and your palm can smash on his nose, that's different move. In CMA, that's called "摀(Wu) – face covering".

Another very simple, straightforward and descriptive name coming from a very authentic and practical CMA. By contrast many Westernized "Chinese" martial arts love to use extremely "poetic" names for techniques. I wonder if that tendency came from Shaolin ...or the Shaw Brothers? ;)

Tired_Yeti

Green Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps you're right. It could be that way.
I guess it will depend on the size of your hands and the size of your enemy's face.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Latest Discussions