difference between kids, mixed and adults karate?

ozm8ey

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello' currently I'm doing karate at a mixed karate age group karate school and i'm thinking about joining an karate school that has adults karate days. Reason is because sometimes I go in class and its full of little kits and no adults, which makes me feel weird sometimes for some reason. So what is the actual difference between them? Like do they have different rules, contact rules, fitness standards?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No way to know for sure. Some schools do have separate adult and children curricula, though there's always some overlap. One American Kenpo school I know of requires half the SD techniques for the kids and they have easier forms too. The kids have to retest for an adult rank when they 14 if they want to continue with the program. In other schools, the content is exactly the same, but perhaps the adult class has higher intensity or more detailed explanation is given in the instruction. Then there are the ones where the kids' classes are basically just a stream of martial games with a bit of physical activity.

You really just have to go see for yourself.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Depends on how the school works if it's all in the air then a mixed age wouldn't be a big deal but if there's contact training than for insurance reasons a kid shouldn't train with a adult

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No way to know for sure. Some schools do have separate adult and children curricula, though there's always some overlap. One American Kenpo school I know of requires half the SD techniques for the kids and they have easier forms too. The kids have to retest for an adult rank when they 14 if they want to continue with the program. In other schools, the content is exactly the same, but perhaps the adult class has higher intensity or more detailed explanation is given in the instruction. Then there are the ones where the kids' classes are basically just a stream of martial games with a bit of physical activity.

You really just have to go see for yourself.
Yeah that's pretty much how my kenpo school works the kids have about 4 techniques a belt then they go onto cadet level which is about 8 then move onto the adults which is 24

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Depends on how the school works if it's all in the air then a mixed age wouldn't be a big deal but if there's contact training than for insurance reasons a kid shouldn't train with a adult

Eh, I don't think that's about liability so much as that the adult has to hold back so much that they may not get that much out of it.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My school separates adults and kids. The older kids who are bored with the kids' classes are invited on an individual basis to the adults' classes. Adults' class I'd 14 & up, but there's a few 13 year olds (and a 12 year old) who are good enough to be in with the adults. In sparring, we treat them the same as everyone - go at the lower rank/ability's limit. Don't make it easy, but don't make it impossible; let them keep up.

Kids have the same curriculum as adults, just a different pace. A kids' 1st dan is doing adults' advanced green belt/brown belt stuff (3rd kyu-2nd kyu). They test for adult rank after they turn 14 and when they've met the adult standards. So, when a kid black belt turns 14, he/she is progressively taught stuff to bring him/her to adult 1st dan level. Once they've shown they're ready to test, they test. Could be a few months, could be a few years (haven't seen it take years, but it's possible). If the kid is ready the learn the stuff before he/she's 14, they'll be taught it and test the first available test after they turn 14. They get tested when they're ready, not when a piece of paper says they're ready.

Most of us have been the only adult in class on quite a few occasions. By only adult, I mean real-world adult, not teenager. I just look at it as a class to slow down and concentrate on the little things. In sparring I try new things that I'd hesitate to try for the first time against my peers.

If being the only true adult in class was a consistent thing, I wouldn't stick around too long. One class I regularly go to had this happen. It became me and 6 kids (old enough to be in the adults' class). Had to change my schedule around to go on a different night where there's a dozen adults and all but one out rank me. It's a night and day difference.

Who's in class also depends on rank and how many students there are. If there's only 2 or 3 adult black belts, it's not easy to have an adult black belt only class. If you're the only adult green belt, it's not easy to have an adult green belt class. Me getting to the best class is tough because I'm 1 of only 4 non-black belt adults. Our school is about 75% actual adult black belts. The kids have an even mix of color belts (only 1 junior black belt).

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
personally i feel a mixed age class is a horrible idea. the only exception would be for adult with their own child as an activity they can do together. different ages have different goals and different reasons for being there that are usually not compatible.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
personally i feel a mixed age class is a horrible idea. the only exception would be for adult with their own child as an activity they can do together. different ages have different goals and different reasons for being there that are usually not compatible.

Completely agree, but supply and demand are what dictates the schedule and groups. My old dojo had "bare knuckle Friday" class Friday nights. There were about 10 of us who showed up every week. We were all college aged guys with the appropriate skill and experience. When 5 or 6 of the guys couldn't make it there (and karate altogether) because life got in the way, the class ended. If you've got 20 adults and 5 kids, you've got to do what you've got to do. If you've got the numbers to keep everyone separated by age and rank, it's stupid to mix them. If you don't, you have to compromise.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
A lot of instructors are likely to show some leniency towards children

A lot of adults prefer training with other adults. With young teenagers and children you have to be more careful, but with other adults you can train more.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A lot of instructors are likely to show some leniency towards children

A lot of adults prefer training with other adults. With young teenagers and children you have to be more careful, but with other adults you can train more.
Quite the contrary, adults are a bunch of undisciplined oafs who probably couldn't keep up with a kids class. :)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think you are underestimating children, and their ability to learn.
Not at all...
but if the adults you are training with are "a bunch of undisciplined oafs" you really should look else where to train.
Then maybe I am just fortunate to train with people who mostly are not undisciplined slow witted people.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not at all...
but if the adults you are training with are "a bunch of undisciplined oafs" you really should look else where to train.
Then maybe I am just fortunate to train with people who mostly are not undisciplined slow witted people.
I guess you just don't understand how the world works. I get your sentiment, though. It is wrong. :)

Tired_Yeti

Green Belt
Reaction score
Quite the contrary, adults are a bunch of undisciplined oafs who probably couldn't keep up with a kids class. :)
Sounds like you may need to find some new friends so to speak.
It's really up to the instructor. Adults can be disciplined. The military is famous for bringing adults under discipline and getting them to be organized and productive. It's all about what they call the "command climate".

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like you may need to find some new friends so to speak.
It's really up to the instructor. Adults can be disciplined. The military is famous for bringing adults under discipline and getting them to be organized and productive. It's all about what they call the "command climate".

It can be done, but imagine having trained them in the military since they were kids. They would be officers by the age of eighteen. There is a difference between command climate, and getting them when they are young.

Tired_Yeti

Green Belt
Reaction score
...Sometimes I go in class and its full of little kids and no adults, which makes me feel weird sometimes for some reason...
Personally, I think those types of arrangements cheat the adults (assuming you're going for self-defense/fighting skills). How do you do FC sparring with a little kid?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh, I don't think that's about liability so much as that the adult has to hold back so much that they may not get that much out of it.

Personally, I think those types of arrangements cheat the adults (assuming you're going for self-defense/fighting skills). How do you do FC sparring with a little kid?

Never train with children, when they beat you and/or have to explain/teach you it's embarrassing!
Seriously though I don't like children and adults training together for a number of reasons.
As for children in the military, here they can join up and go to the Army Foundation College at 16, they stay there for 2 years when they join 'proper' army units and regiments.

Tired_Yeti

Green Belt
Reaction score
It can be done, but imagine having trained them in the military since they were kids. They would be officers by the age of eighteen. There is a difference between command climate, and getting them when they are young.

No doubt they are quick learners and often more eager when they're young.
One thing I think is also important to mention about teaching kids is that it helps to perpetuate the style (in particular) and martial arts in general. The white belt kids today will be the black belt instructors of tomorrow.

Latest Discussions