Instructors...

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What is your student drop out percentage?

66% here in first 9 months.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Over the past 20-odd years of teaching, I've noticed a tendency to lose about half, at each significant increase in technique complexity, regardless of what style I was teaching. So, figure about half of the people who come in for a free class or week will stay past that first week. About half of them will get past the first month, when they are actually expected to start to retain things they've been being taught. About half of that group gets to their first belt rank testing/promotion demo.

Then, they usualy stick until the next large step-up in complexity of techniques being taught, or a requirement to start sparring/randori, or an increase in pain being delivered in the regular practice of class, or because they are required to begin taking falls and not just roll.

Once past that, about half make it to the intermediate ranks.... but then only about a quarter to a fifth actually get through that last push to black belt. It's the damndest thing. It's right there, in front of them, and it only would require about 3, maybe 6, more months and they would always have, or at least have the knowledge of, that black belt.

It makes me scratch my head sometimes.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not being an instructor and not having the numbers...

In 6 months on the same club, only two are there (almost) every week. Only myself didn't miss a day!! :yawn: Dozens of people go there a couple of times (it is drop in / drop out). Some return after months. Most of them don't.
On the other club it is impossible to say because I am quite new there, and a lot of different times and disciplines possible for the same only tariff.

Long time ago we were systematically 25+ in September, and 6-8 in July. :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say less than 10% stick around long enough to make 1st Dan.

Honestly, I'm terrible with names, and until you've been around at least a month I kind of think of you as a visitor.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
66% drop out in 9 months? That seems awfully high to me.

We only started using software that tracks retention 18 months ago (yeah, yeah), but among signups during those first 9 months, 88% of students got at least to 9 months. 12-month retention for those in that first 6-month group is 73%.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Oh, I guess I should say that that's people who are still paying members, not necessarily people who are attending class regularly. Some people sign up and after a few months, their attendance drops off just a couple times a month, but they don't want to actually, you know, quit. They keep telling themselves/us, oh, I'll start going more often soon, I'll get back into it more once I'm done with [other thing].

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Over the last 20 years, I've probably had about the same rate as Dirty Dog make it to shodan. Less than that have stuck around for more than five years. Japanese sword arts are very difficult to do correctly, and a lot of people tend to get tired of the challenge after a while and move on to other things. :)

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In BJJ it's a lot fewer than that.
I think that statistic is closer to those who stick around until blue belt with another round of similar weeding for purple belt. Maybe some other schools have better retention, such as the Gracie Academy schools who promote to blue relatively quickly, but I've seen a lot of people come and go.

lifelongstudent1

White Belt
Reaction score
From my experience I see typically 50% turn over in about that time. I agree that very few stay long enough to achieve "black belt". But if you look at it overall, comparing with other activities (gyms, dance studios, etc. ) it is about right. Roughly, the students who achieve a competent level, will stay the course. This is with the exception of what else life throws at them (work, family, illness, money).

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Different age groups will also have different retention rates and times. Kids are kids, and their interests change quite often. Recent high school graduates go away to college. Recent college grads start a career, a few years later start families. People relocate, lose jobs, etc.

Coming from a non-owner, if you're looking to retain more students, you first need to figure out why people are leaving. After figuring that out, make changes to the things you can actually change. If you're looking for longer term students, you may need to change your target advertising audience.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Only about 10% of people who start will make it to 1st Degree Black Belt. A large percentage quit once they find out that they ain't gonna be Jackie Chan or a Ninja Turtle after 5 lessons, and that we expect them to sweat and do their best. Another chunk will quit when it comes time to start sparring. Others quit for a variety reasons; some have financial issues, some move, etc.

Latest Discussions