Name all of the Hand to Shoulder strikes commonly done in MMA

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lets see what you got MMA name all the strikes that MMA practitioners using the parts of the body from the shoulder to the fingers.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I guess I'll thrown in my two cents.

Jab, Uppercut

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouch, ow, ugh, argh and wow that bugger hurt.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was confused by your wording at first. I thought maybe you were asking for the names of strikes which targeted the arms. So you're just asking for different strikes using the upper body other than head butts (which are illegal in most MMA competition)?

Off the top of my head ...
Jab
Cross
Lead hook
Rear hook
Superman punch
Lunge punch (not common, but it happens occasionally)
Uppercut
Rear Overhand
Backfist
Hammerfist
Open hand slaps (technically you could use an open hand heel palm thrust, but you hardly ever see that done)
Forearm strike using the inner arm (i.e. like a ridgehand - I suppose the ridgehand itself could be listed separately but the forearm is a better striking surface and you don't see a classic ridgehand used often)
Forearm strike using the outer arm (like a knifehand, same caveat applies)
Elbow strikes (horizontal, diagonal, upwards) using the front (forearm side) of the elbow
Elbow strikes (horizontal, diagonal, downwards) using the back (tricep side) of the elbow
Shoulder strikes from a clinch (these don't generally do much damage, they're more to annoy an opponent and make them uncomfortable)
Finger jabs to the eyes. These are illegal, but they do happen periodically, either accidentally or because a fighter is deliberately creating the opportunity.

Of course, there are a lot of variations for each of the above. For example a jab can be be high or low, flicking or power, straight or angled, quickly retracted or left out to cover an opponent's vision, etc.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was confused by your wording at first. I thought maybe you were asking for the names of strikes which targeted the arms. So you're just asking for different strikes using the upper body other than head butts (which are illegal in most MMA competition)?

Jab
Cross
Lead hook
Rear hook
Superman punch
Uppercut
Rear Overhand
Backfist
Hammerfist
Open hand slaps (technically you could use an open hand heel palm thrust, but you hardly ever see that done)
Forearm strike using the inner arm (i.e. like a ridgehand - I suppose the ridgehand itself could be listed separately but the forearm is a better striking surface and you don't see a classic ridgehand used often)
Elbow strikes (horizontal, diagonal, upwards) using the front (forearm side) of the elbow
Elbow strikes (horizontal, diagonal, downwards) using the back (tricep side) of the elbow
Shoulder strikes from a clinch (these don't generally do much damage, they're more to annoy an opponent and make them uncomfortable)
Finger jabs to the eyes. These are illegal, but they do happen periodically, either accidentally or because a fighter is deliberately creating the opportunity.

Of course, there are a lot of variations for each of the above. For example a jab can be be high or low, flicking or power, straight or angled, quickly retracted or left out to cover an opponent's vision, etc.
Sorry about the wording. I didn't know how to quite word it. Any forearm strikes using the inner forearm?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Jab
Cross
Lead hook
Rear hook
Superman punch
Uppercut
Rear Overhand
Backfist
Hammerfist

Three extra things I would add to this list. The first one, you might not consider a 'strike', but throwing your hand out sideways towards the eyes. Not so much to finger jab, but to block view for a leg strike that's coming at around the same time. The second is more of a footwork thing, but I'm including it since you included superman/lunge punch. A switch-jab, where you switch your feet as you throw the jab, normally as a counter when someone is coming in. The third might be considered a variation on elbow strikes, but I feel they should be separate. Elbow strike with the tip of the elbow as a cutting strike, vs. elbow strike where you hit with the (non-tip?) as more of a bashing strike. I'm separating these because they hit with a different point of the body, even if it's both elbow, and because the purposes/damage of the strike is different.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is anyone taught to use a vertical fist in MMA?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is anyone taught to use a vertical fist in MMA?
No matter how much power that you can generate from your vertical fist. If you add into your final twist, you can always generate more power.

IMO, you may generate 95% power in your vertical fist. You can generate 100% power in your horizontal fist. That 5% may be important in some situation.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Seems like we got it all. I can't think of anything else.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Any forearm strikes using the inner forearm?
I already listed the strike using the inner boney side of the forearm (radius). Do you mean strikes using the flat fleshy part of the forearm? It would be unusual to deliberately use that as a striking surface per se, however you can use the flat part of the inner forearm for a wrestling snap down which is technically more of a grappling move, but aggressive wrestlers can turn it in to a clubbing strike.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just realized I forgot to mention the spinning versions of the backfist, hammer fist, forearm, and elbow strikes.

Latest Discussions