Name a dozen pressure points that would be good to know for Self Defense

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i'm leary of pressure points for self defense, as many understand them.

a lot of folks seem to think a pressure point is a spot you can tap -- just -- so and knock out the bad guy or make his arm go limp.

that's possible, but it requires a level of precision i don't recommend counting on when you're in something as chaotic as a fight.

there are some 'pressure points' like gall bladder 20 (a/k/a the mastoid bone) or the mandible gap that you can whack good and hard or stick a finger in to cause all manner of pain and consternation.

still, unless you're in a job where you have to control without harm, it's generally a better plan to stick with your simple stuff: kick the groin, elbow the throat, knee the solar plexus.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Pressure points look good in class training. But there most often the other person is not resisting and feel the pain much more. Plus most often not in a moving motion. Now for reall Maybe after you have loosened a p[erson up you may be able to submit them with pressure point strikes. But with drugs that kill pain and make a person far more alert. You just have to hurt them to stop them. Even a not drugged person will fight off a nerve strike most often. Do they work perhaps would I use them probaly not Other things work better in a resistive point of action.

Latest Discussions