My TSA approved improvised weapon choice.......

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
All valid uses. I'm a fan of canes too.

Again, no, you don't.
View attachment 28844
The katana is gripped to optimize the slicing swing. You should be gripping your cane like a stick. A mass weapon.
View attachment 28845
View attachment 28846
You would be well advised to stop thinking there is really any commonality between swinging a cane and swinging a katana. It's not a sword of any kind. It is a club. Use it as one.

You're obviously not a diver...
We do a LOT of diving. Most dive gear is quite robust and can take all sorts of abuse. My carryon, however, is always filled with the things that shouldn't be thrown around. GoPro, dive computers, dive lights... Like this:
View attachment 28847That is a $1300 tech dive computer. Of which I wear two. Or this:
View attachment 28849 That is a $2500 cannister light for cave diving. I only carry one of those, but with a minimum of three 1000 lumen backup lights. Lights are a big deal when you're diving in a cave. On high, this light puts out 8600 lumen and will do so for 5 hours. Turned down to it's lowest setting, it will burn for 100+ hours. That's a lot of battery. So I doubt anyone will get too excited about a D-cell battery...

I also put my masks in carryon, because prescription masks cannot readily be replaced mid-trip.
I am a certified scuba diver since 1987. I haven’t been diving in 15 years because my wife isn’t into it. I havent carried a D cell since high school. I do seem to be the guy who gets pulled out and searched though. When returning from the Bahamas my buddy brought back a ton of Cuban cigars. He walked right through customs. I, being the rule follower that I am, did not opt to smuggle anything whatsoever. I was pulled out of line, detained, person searched, bags thoroughly searched, questioned etc. nearly missed my flight. My buddy Kurt still teases me about it. He did however, give me a cigar.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Basically because it's my choice and a cane is a hassle whether you need it to assist walking or not. It constantly occupies one hand in a world that often calls on two hands for various things. If you're not holding it, you have to put it somewhere, then get it back again when required. As to throwing it away in a fight, I think that's asking someone to pick it up and hit you with it.

However if you carry a cane and know how to use it defensively, it's not necessary to throw it away. It's far more than a ranged bludgeoning weapon when used correctly. Jab, punch, parry, trip, lock joints, choke, and rake with the tip. It's an excellent all-round weapon. It just requires a commitment to train with it and carry it everywhere. As to knives and pepper spray, I don't carry them. I am well armed with my two empty hands.
I don't find it a hassle carrying a cane, when I need both hands, I hang it on my right forearm. Good thing about cane is you can hang on the edge of the table in the restaurant.

Yes, if you carry a cane, you better practice. People kept thinking they carry a cane, they can use it. I trained a year and half, still have no plan to stop. It's part of my exercise routine already.

I thought you said you have problem with your health, that you cannot move around that well now a days. You mean you can still fight? I can still run around, punching and kicking bags and stick fight as my regular regiment. I still spend 7 hours a week between kick boxing, stick fight and weight training. I definitely carry a cane, pepper spray and knife everywhere I go. I don't have the confident like you thinking I can win.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
All valid uses. I'm a fan of canes too.

Again, no, you don't.
View attachment 28844
The katana is gripped to optimize the slicing swing. You should be gripping your cane like a stick. A mass weapon.
View attachment 28845
View attachment 28846
You would be well advised to stop thinking there is really any commonality between swinging a cane and swinging a katana. It's not a sword of any kind. It is a club. Use it as one.
Not true. With baseball bet, you concentrate on one big swing, you commit and swing all the way to the point you lost balance if you miss as seen on tv a lot. In stick fight, you do NOT commit 100% like this, or else you are dead meat if you miss. I don't do any of the slicing and cutting of katana, of cause that would be stupid to do that with a blunt object. BUT, that are chopping in katana also. I hold with two hands with about 1 to 2 inches apart to get better control of the cane. I practice a lot like chopping like katana. Chop from the side, but than pull back, literally reverse the movement, then chop again. It's like chopping a tree. I practice both chopping in same direction and swing right, then reverse chop( like normally people do swinging alternate direction). THIS, I actually learn from katana video to chop, pull back and choke again.

I practice a lot pulling back after chopping so I don't let the stick hang out waiting to be grabbed. I keep the stick close to my body. I use casting where the stick start close to body, swing out and reach at the same time to hit, then pull right back close to body again to finish the move. This is NOT BASEBALL swing.

I honestly cannot find one particular style to suit me, not baseball, not katana, tapado, escrima, irish stick. I watched those all. Only thing that I learn most is katana on the chopping moves, thinking of chopping trees. In fact, I don't find tapado and escrima helpful at all. tapado uses a much longer stick, escrima always swing wild, only good if it is in open space. I got turned off when I saw a competition on escrima where both wacking each other stupid from beginning till end. They both still standing afterwards. Granted they wore some protective gear, but still. With one hand swinging a light rattan, there's no stopping power.

Last edited:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't find it a hassle carrying a cane, when I need both hands, I hang it on my right forearm. Good thing about cane is you can hang on the edge of the table in the restaurant.

Yes, if you carry a cane, you better practice. People kept thinking they carry a cane, they can use it. I trained a year and half, still have no plan to stop. It's part of my exercise routine already.

I thought you said you have problem with your health, that you cannot move around that well now a days. You mean you can still fight? I can still run around, punching and kicking bags and stick fight as my regular regiment. I still spend 7 hours a week between kick boxing, stick fight and weight training. I definitely carry a cane, pepper spray and knife everywhere I go. I don't have the confident like you thinking I can win.
I have an altered gait due to neuropathy in my feet and I'm a heart patient. I don't use a cane permanently but I have and probably will need on again.

Of course I can fight. I have my hands. No one can hit or touch me unless I permit it. I can't imagine needing anything else. No one tries to attack me. The thing about EDC weapons is one, they're weapons I don't need. Two, you have to carry them and I'm far too lazy.

Tuite means anyone touches me they hit the ground hard. I don't need anything else.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have an altered gait due to neuropathy in my feet and I'm a heart patient. I don't use a cane permanently but I have and probably will need on again.

Of course I can fight. I have my hands. No one can hit or touch me unless I permit it. I can't imagine needing anything else. No one tries to attack me. The thing about EDC weapons is one, they're weapons I don't need. Two, you have to carry them and I'm far too lazy.

Tuite means anyone touches me they hit the ground hard. I don't need anything else.
Good for you.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a certified scuba diver since 1987. I haven’t been diving in 15 years because my wife isn’t into it. I havent carried a D cell since high school. I do seem to be the guy who gets pulled out and searched though. When returning from the Bahamas my buddy brought back a ton of Cuban cigars. He walked right through customs. I, being the rule follower that I am, did not opt to smuggle anything whatsoever. I was pulled out of line, detained, person searched, bags thoroughly searched, questioned etc. nearly missed my flight. My buddy Kurt still teases me about it. He did however, give me a cigar.
You and me both. My wife thinks it's because I don't like crowds, so I am always looking around to see if anyone nearby is about to be stupid. She thinks that makes me look suspicious to the TSA goons. The upshot is I have a 100% record of being "randomly" pulled out. 100%. I have not made it through without a colonoscopy once.
Not true. With baseball bet, you concentrate on one big swing, you commit and swing all the way to the point you lost balance if you miss as seen on tv a lot. In stick fight, you do NOT commit 100% like this, or else you are dead meat if you miss.
This has nothing whatsoever to do with how you grip the bat. And it's not even correct. Sure, some people will swing for the fences. But those people will likely swing the same way regardless of what specific blunt force weapon they're using. Because that's all they know how to do.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You and me both. My wife thinks it's because I don't like crowds, so I am always looking around to see if anyone nearby is about to be stupid. She thinks that makes me look suspicious to the TSA goons. The upshot is I have a 100% record of being "randomly" pulled out. 100%. I have not made it through without a colonoscopy once.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with how you grip the bat. And it's not even correct. Sure, some people will swing for the fences. But those people will likely swing the same way regardless of what specific blunt force weapon they're using. Because that's all they know how to do.
Me too
100% Random Check here as well.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The idea of cloth with pad lock is good if you know how to swing it. Why no using keys? Just put a few extra keys to make up the weight. You can even use a chain to hang on your belt like in the older days. Hang on the belt and keys in the pocket. Pull it out and swing.

Tactical pen is not very useful and obvious.

I take that you don't like cane. I know, a lot of men don't like cane because it make them look old and weak. My stepson is like that, he really need the cane because he has foot problem. I even offered him one of mine and he refused to even touch it.
I’d think for keys on a chain to be much of a weapon, the keys would need to weigh more than a padlock, since the bunch of keys will hit with less impact (not a solid mass). That’s a lot of keys.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I’d think for keys on a chain to be much of a weapon, the keys would need to weigh more than a padlock, since the bunch of keys will hit with less impact (not a solid mass). That’s a lot of keys.
Ha ha, we already moved on to a can of sardine in a sock. The kind of can that the lid can be pulled off without the need of a can opener. So it looks more natural as food in flights is getting worst and worst or not even providing food. :)

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I was going to do this thing about the difference between a shinai and a katana in arts like kendo.

But I got so bored with the nuances that I couldn't sit through the video.

Hold one end hit them with the other.

When sword fighters start winning sword fights then mabye people can come back to me about the advantages of grip a vs grip b.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I get pulled out of TSA lines all the time. I have no idea why. Probably untrustworthy looking, I dunno'.
I also always get asked why I have a handcuff key on my key ring. I usually tell them it's part of a magic trick.

All the fun will stop now that I'm retired. Can't screw with them anymore.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I get pulled out of TSA lines all the time. I have no idea why. Probably untrustworthy looking, I dunno'.
I also always get asked why I have a handcuff key on my key ring. I usually tell them it's part of a magic trick.

All the fun will stop now that I'm retired. Can't screw with them anymore.
I had one TSA agent who insisted I had to turn on all my dive lights to prove they were actually lights. So I started by turning on the cannister light. The one that puts out 8600 lumen. Aimed to ensure they could see it light up...

I didn't have to turn on the others.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had one TSA agent who insisted I had to turn on all my dive lights to prove they were actually lights. So I started by turning on the cannister light. The one that puts out 8600 lumen. Aimed to ensure they could see it light up...

I didn't have to turn on the others.
God, I so love that.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I practice a lot like chopping like katana. Chop from the side, but than pull back, literally reverse the movement, then chop again. It's like chopping a tree. I practice both chopping in same direction and swing right, then reverse chop( like normally people do swinging alternate direction). THIS, I actually learn from katana video to chop, pull back and choke again.
Anyone teaching you to chop with a katana, has no idea how to use a katana. Katana are very bad at chopping. You will ruin the sword, very quickly by chopping.

Question about carrying a sardine can in a sock.... Are you going to actually keep the sardine cane in the sock? Doing this means, you intend to use it as weapon.... people don't generally keep food in their socks. How many situations are you likely to be in, where an attacker will initiate an attack, but then allow you the time to use both of your hands to shove a sardine can into a sock?

The sardine can in a sock would be a great weapon... if you carry it already assembled in weapon form. I would argue that if you have time to assemble your weapon... you have time to get away from the situation... without a fight.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

I don’t like a hot press in a crowd at all. I avoid it anytime I can. My wife has gotten to know when I’m getting full up. She also never makes take the seat with my back to the door, because I don’t pay attention to anything else otherwise.

Olde Phart

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Though I seriously doubt it would pass TSA inspection if I was flying, I carry a home-made walking stick when I do my exercise -walk around the outside of a local mall early in the morning. It tapers from an inch at the bottom to about a inch-and-a-half at the top and is nearly 6 feet long, which is my height. Harvested it from a dead limb in a state park (don't tell anyone!). Put a rubber tip from a CANE on the bottom end so it wouldn't slip on the pavement. Even a paracord grip on the top. It looks like I need it for balance, so no probs with the mall security that drives around (I'm a regular). And, yes, I'm over 60 . . . so I'm OLD according to some of you. Kinda reminds me of a "bo" if you catch my drift!

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Anyone teaching you to chop with a katana, has no idea how to use a katana. Katana are very bad at chopping. You will ruin the sword, very quickly by chopping.

Question about carrying a sardine can in a sock.... Are you going to actually keep the sardine cane in the sock? Doing this means, you intend to use it as weapon.... people don't generally keep food in their socks. How many situations are you likely to be in, where an attacker will initiate an attack, but then allow you the time to use both of your hands to shove a sardine can into a sock?

The sardine can in a sock would be a great weapon... if you carry it already assembled in weapon form. I would argue that if you have time to assemble your weapon... you have time to get away from the situation... without a fight.
I did see in video they have moves like chopping. I don't use any other moves from katana, just the chopping move. I practice the chop and pull back like reversing the chopping motion. That is definitely the move of katana I watched, not a baseball bet swing.

Can in the sock is NOT any more obvious than padlock with cloth originally talked about. The only thing that less obvious is key on a long chain hang on the belt and keys in the pocket like in the older days where people have those pocket watch.

OP doesn't like cane, option is very limited getting on the plane. It's not as if you have better option to choose from.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Though I seriously doubt it would pass TSA inspection if I was flying, I carry a home-made walking stick when I do my exercise -walk around the outside of a local mall early in the morning. It tapers from an inch at the bottom to about a inch-and-a-half at the top and is nearly 6 feet long, which is my height. Harvested it from a dead limb in a state park (don't tell anyone!). Put a rubber tip from a CANE on the bottom end so it wouldn't slip on the pavement. Even a paracord grip on the top. It looks like I need it for balance, so no probs with the mall security that drives around (I'm a regular). And, yes, I'm over 60 . . . so I'm OLD according to some of you. Kinda reminds me of a "bo" if you catch my drift!
OP said it strongly he refuses to carry a stick or cane. That absolutely would be my first and only choice. I carry a cane, stick like you said is way too long for me and hard to work with in confined space.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions