My TSA approved improvised weapon choice.......

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
LOL. No. They are quite excellent. But you have to know how to use one.

It's a stick. A stick is the oldest weapon known to man, predating everything but maybe a BFR.
LOL I understand, but not all sticks are created equal. I am trained in how to use sticks as a weapon(I trained many people to do this) and have used them on resisting opponents on several occasions. But ultimately decided to leave it in my patrol car to save room on my belt.

I'm not here to tell you that you can't use a cane to defend yourself. I am saying it is a big giant no for me, based on my experience. If you gave me a cane, I would definitely put the hurt on someone in most situations. But that doesn't mean I would recommend it or carry it.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not intimidated by canes, very easy to get inside a range and nullify it. I think it provides a super ton of false confidence to most people that are carrying it. Again that's just my opinion I know a lot of people will disagree. And that's fine but it's not for me and I think it's overhyped.
Get inside my swinging range and I'll use the end of it on your eyes, teeth, nose, ears, solar plexus, or groin. I'll use it to enhance punches. It's not just a bludgeoning weapon to swing around.

The police arm themselves with nightsticks for a reason. For riots, they carry 'riot batons', which are longer nightsticks. The reason they do that is because they work when used correctly.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LOL I understand, but not all sticks are created equal. I am trained in how to use sticks as a weapon(I trained many people to do this) and have used them on resisting opponents on several occasions. But ultimately decided to leave it in my patrol car to save room on my belt.

I'm not here to tell you that you can't use a cane to defend yourself. I am saying it is a big giant no for me, based on my experience. If you gave me a cane, I would definitely put the hurt on someone in most situations. But that doesn't mean I would recommend it or carry it.
I wouldn't carry a cane as a defense weapon if I didn't need a cane to walk properly. If one is in need of a cane for legitimate medical reasons, there is no reason not to train with it and make it an effective self-defense weapon as well, and quite a few reasons to do so.

I don't carry my Monadnock anymore either (it's next to my bed at home) but put a random stick in my hand and a drunk attempting to pull some nonsense, and I'll put him in a figure four choke so fast it'll make his head spin. Well actually, he'll be doing the chicken on the ground, but that's what good blood chokes do.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Get inside my swinging range and I'll use the end of it on your eyes, teeth, nose, ears, solar plexus, or groin. I'll use it to enhance punches. It's not just a bludgeoning weapon to swing around.

The police arm themselves with nightsticks for a reason. For riots, they carry 'riot batons', which are longer nightsticks. The reason they do that is because they work when used correctly.
I'm happy you have confidence in your ability. I have been in these riots. 2020 was a crazy year.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't carry a cane as a defense weapon if I didn't need a cane to walk properly. If one is in need of a cane for legitimate medical reasons, there is no reason not to train with it and make it an effective self-defense weapon as well, and quite a few reasons to do so.

I don't carry my Monadnock anymore either (it's next to my bed at home) but put a random stick in my hand and a drunk attempting to pull some nonsense, and I'll put him in a figure four choke so fast it'll make his head spin. Well actually, he'll be doing the chicken on the ground, but that's what good blood chokes do.
I think if you have a legit reason or need to carry a cane, you should absolutely train with it and maximize it's use as a self-defense weapon. If I needed a cane, I would work hard at being good at using it in all types of situations.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So have I, but it was the year of Rodney King for me. My days in any kind of uniform are over. I beat up computers now.
Ha! The war of the machines! That's the worst! Rodney King was largely a result of an ineffective use of PR24 batons.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is your favorite TSA approved weapon?
A weapon is what you use a thing for, not what it either is intended to be used for or pretends to be used for. I try to explain that to people who are unclear on the concept of why a screwdriver can be a screwdriver, or a burglar tool, or a weapon. It's not the thing itself; it's how it is intended to be used by the person carrying it and how it actually is used.

In that vein, there are no TSA-approved weapons. There are things which one may take aboard a plane, which could be pressed into service for self-defense. Under no circumstances would I refer to something I carried on my person as a weapon.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A weapon is what you use a thing for, not what it either is intended to be used for or pretends to be used for. I try to explain that to people who are unclear on the concept of why a screwdriver can be a screwdriver, or a burglar tool, or a weapon. It's not the thing itself; it's how it is intended to be used by the person carrying it and how it actually is used.

In that vein, there are no TSA-approved weapons. There are things which one may take aboard a plane, which could be pressed into service for self-defense. Under no circumstances would I refer to something I carried on my person as a weapon.
The problem is, I always have weapons on me, even when I'm naked! 😊

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Jared Traveler,

You have mentioned your arts and certs.
You have mentioned room to use and not having it in crowds or hallways or ...
You have appealed to authority with your experience on the force in 2020.

My FMA training/ and teachings do not require that much room.

I can use a full long sword or 4 foot cane in my living room without hitting the ceiling or other objects.
One of the arts I teach, and am an inheritor (Appeal to authority) if stick dueling. And the range is close and most people would call it the stand up grappling range. Not barely able to reach them, I am talking hand on their neck or elbow.

I have used weapons in a house for real.
I have used improvised weapons in one or few on many.
I did it in the Flint Area in the 80's. You know that place that was always listed the most dangerous and the worst place to live.
That is where I hung out and worked . (* Another or still an appeal to authority my experience *)

They work. Your biases in your training tell me you have had the standard Korean training that also seems prevalent in Law enforcement.

That being said, are knives better for damage ? Yes
Are firearms even better yet for damage? Yes.

Do I walk everywhere with a cane or stick? No.
Did I after a motorcycle accident? Yes.

I agree with Bill, and his training is not in the same circle on the Venn diagram as my training.
Good Technique should not be unique to one system.

As to preferred TSA approved. I have none.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No, you do not. You practice hitting with two hands like a baseball bat. Because a cane is a blunt weapon that relies on mass, that is the correct way to swing it. The Japanese sword is a slicing swing. Because that is the correct way to swing it.
Yes, I should said baseball bat instead, I meant just holding like the Japanese sword with two hands.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So, you are basing effectiveness on the amount of extra reach? You should forget the cane, and carry a Jo or hiking stick... more reach. Well, just carry a Bo... it is hard to get more reach than a 6 foot Bo.... The Bo must then be the most effective.

The issue here is that you are assuming the attacker will announce his intentions to attack you from ten feet away... allowing you to begin the fight with enough distance to use your cane... and you are assuming that you will keep your cane, that he won't take it away.

Not every attack happens that way. Many times the attack happens when the attacker is already very close to you... you might not know that you are being attacked until you are being grabbed or hit.

Pens can be easily carried in a pocket. You can easily get one from a pocket and stab with it very quickly, and in close quarters. You can use it to stab the hand that is grabbing you, choking you or trying to take away your cane. You can also stab face, neck, ribs, legs, arms... and the hard pointy pen will do more damage than hitting with your hand.

I am not saying to get rid of your cane. But, its cheap enough to also put a pen in your pocket. As long as it is not a "tactical" pen... security will ignore it, as will your attacker... Start by using your cane, if the attack starts at distance. If the attacker gets inside, grabs your cane or you... stab him with the pen.... repeatedly.
He ha, in my case, I don't worry about airport, not plan to travel anytime soon. I have pepper spray in my left pocket, a 3" knife(manual open to be legal) in my right pocket. Forget the pen!!! I even bought a tiny stun gun and waiting for my wife to sew my a saw belt holder for that to carry on the belt.

I actually bought a plastic knife and start practice slicing and stabbing on the heavy bag to get use to it. Not just carrying it thinking I can use it automatically.

I have options, not like OP that has to go through airport.

I don't want to have walking stick or longer ones. I thought about it. First, it is harder to use in confined space. Secondly and more importantly, it is HARD to hang on table in the restaurants. That's where I spend more of my time going out. I can hang the cane on the edge of the table, not the long stick. That, is very important for me. I have my priorities also different from OP. Having a place to hang is about on the top of my list. You seen people dropping their cane in the restaurants? It happens so often, it disrupt your dinner and conversation.

My priority is carry a lot, hopefully never have to use it.

Hell, if I expect trouble like policeman, I carry my gun. I have so many guns it's not funny. I am a good shooter that I went competition and I got the 2nd one time. To me, this is about daily life that you don't expect to have incident. Just insurance.

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Why not? It is the most effective weapon that doesn't draw any attention. It's there when you need it. Nobody said you have to use the cane all the way and it's the only weapon. I even practice when comes too close, I threw away the cane and go with bare hand punching and kicking. Or if I have time, pull out the pepper spray or knife from the pockets. It's not all or nothing. It's about options. That's why I carry different things and I still practice kicking and punching bare knuckled.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This thread is very helpful for me. I get to hear what that people would do facing the stick. Today, I've been practicing more poking(straight thrust with the tip), and practice WC step kick to the knee and round kick to the knee as combination to anticipate the opponent grabbing the cane and I attack with kicks to the knee.

I also practice if he grab the tip side of the cane, I punch with the handle to the face just like a cross but using the handle to cause more damage.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I should said baseball bat instead, I meant just holding like the Japanese sword with two hands.
The way you hold a baseball bat, is entirely different than the way you hold a Japanese sword... even though you use two hands for each.
To me, this is about daily life that you don't expect to have incident. Just insurance.
You carry a pepper spray, a knife, a stun gun and a cane... but the pen is too much???
I even practice when comes too close, I threw away the cane and go with bare hand punching and kicking. Or if I have time, pull out the pepper spray or knife from the pockets. It's not all or nothing.
Put a pen in that hand and suddenly your punches do a lot more damage and cause a lot more pain.

No one here said the pen was the be all, end all. It was just suggested as something that can be used... and carried pretty much anywhere. Also they are dirt cheap, should you lose it.

If you want to learn to use improvised weapons.... I would start by learning kubotan and yawara stick... this will teach you to use small "sticks" like pens, wrenches, rolled up magazines.... I would then learn hanbo... which will teach you to use medium size "sticks" (1-3 foot in length). You would then be able to use most things that are between 3 inches and 3 feet in length, more effectively. Further, it will make you more comfortable when in close.

I have found the techniques from these 3 weapons quite easy to adapt to improvised weapons. Even if you are also carrying other weapons, these can be back ups. Or perhaps if you are getting on a plane... you can go through security and then buy a "souvenir" in little shop behind the security check point. You can't take you cane, stun gun, pepper spray and knife everywhere....

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score

Very important distinction, especially when talking about self-defense.

In some states, a knife that would otherwise be legal to carry is now a concealed weapon if stopped and you tell the officer that you carry it for protection and not because you need it for household chores around the farm. It is now an "intent to go armed" and you are concealing a weapon on your person. I remember one night working intake on the midnight shift and a semi-truck driver was brought in for that exact reason.

Go to any truck stop and you can buy yourself a billy club, always sold as a "tire checker".

(Note: I'm not saying that the charges will stick or you will be found guilty, but you could have to deal with the legal hassle of defending yourself in court).

Latest Discussions