My TSA approved improvised weapon choice.......

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I carried a D cell battery as a kid. You can put it in your fist, you can throw it, you can put it in a sock or handkerchief… it isn’t a “weapon“ unless you use it as one. Doubt you will be able to take it on the plane though.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I carried a D cell battery as a kid. You can put it in your fist, you can throw it, you can put it in a sock or handkerchief… it isn’t a “weapon“ unless you use it as one. Doubt you will be able to take it on the plane though.
Why not? They might be puzzled, but that's so far from being a weapon. That actually is a good idea. Heavier than keys I suggested, not as obvious as pad lock.

Or, get two C size, get a small flash light that use C size. Don't put the battery in. If asked, just say it's new batteries, don't have a chance to put it in yet!!! Two C size in a sock is heavy enough.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ha ha, let's get creative. How about a small can tuna?!!! Small enough to put in a sock. Now, you cannot say it's a weapon!!! Hell, I am hungry during the flight, I can't wait but to eat!!!! Carry a small can opener too in the carry on luggage.

Or a small jar of caveat. They come in very tiny glass jar. have a small plastic spoon with you in case they ask!!! 😂

Just say you have expensive taste.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Jared Traveler,

You have mentioned your arts and certs.
You have mentioned room to use and not having it in crowds or hallways or ...
You have appealed to authority with your experience on the force in 2020.

My FMA training/ and teachings do not require that much room.

I can use a full long sword or 4 foot cane in my living room without hitting the ceiling or other objects.
One of the arts I teach, and am an inheritor (Appeal to authority) if stick dueling. And the range is close and most people would call it the stand up grappling range. Not barely able to reach them, I am talking hand on their neck or elbow.

I have used weapons in a house for real.
I have used improvised weapons in one or few on many.
I did it in the Flint Area in the 80's. You know that place that was always listed the most dangerous and the worst place to live.
That is where I hung out and worked . (* Another or still an appeal to authority my experience *)

They work. Your biases in your training tell me you have had the standard Korean training that also seems prevalent in Law enforcement.

That being said, are knives better for damage ? Yes
Are firearms even better yet for damage? Yes.

Do I walk everywhere with a cane or stick? No.
Did I after a motorcycle accident? Yes.

I agree with Bill, and his training is not in the same circle on the Venn diagram as my training.
Good Technique should not be unique to one system.

As to preferred TSA approved. I have none.
Regarding 2020 experience, I was only referencing my presence with a long handled baton at riots(because the fact that riot batons are carried was sighted by someone else to legitimize their effectiveness), I did not actually hit anyone with it there. In these situations now in law enforcement, we pretty much stand there and takes abuse. When it gets really bad, gas is deployed and those that stay and continue to throw rocks after the gas get hit with bean bag rounds. No experience with a baton there other than having to lug it around and tap to the beat on the shield. The baton actually is mostly uses to get peoples finger and hands off the shield so you retain it and dont get pulled into the crowed. My experience with batons came much earlier in my career when I actually carried one on my belt.

I agree, knives and guns are better for damage, they are also harder to take away from someone.

I'm sure you are way more proficient with a cane than me. I suspect it will work great for you if you ever need it. I just personally don't like it and don't want to carry one. And I think the same way women walk around and feel like they are prepared because they have pepper spray in their purse, a lot of dudes feel squared away because they have a cane in their hands.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ha ha, let's get creative. How about a small can tuna?!!! Small enough to put in a sock. Now, you cannot say it's a weapon!!! Hell, I am hungry during the flight, I can't wait but to eat!!!! Carry a small can opener too in the carry on luggage.

Or a small jar of caveat. They come in very tiny glass jar. have a small plastic spoon with you in case they ask!!! 😂

Just say you have expensive taste.
Sardines And crackers.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sardines And crackers.
Hey, you took it from me!!!! 😂

I was thinking afterwards, they have tiny sardine in cans that you pull the lid off, you don't even need to carry a can opener!!!

Do they still sell those? I never have the need for those since the college days for midnight snacks!!! I remember they had smoke oyster too!!!

Hey, Great minds think alike.👍👍👍👍

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey, you took it from me!!!! 😂

I was thinking afterwards, they have tiny sardine in cans that you pull the lid off, you don't even need to carry a can opener!!!

Do they still sell those? I never have the need for those since the college days for midnight snacks!!! I remember they had smoke oyster too!!!

Hey, Great minds think alike.👍👍👍👍
I love those smoked baby clams too!
Carry two! one for eating and one for beating.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Regarding 2020 experience, I was only referencing my presence with a long handled baton at riots(because the fact that riot batons are carried was sighted by someone else to legitimize their effectiveness), I did not actually hit anyone with it there. In these situations now in law enforcement, we pretty much stand there and takes abuse. When it gets really bad, gas is deployed and those that stay and continue to throw rocks after the gas get hit with bean bag rounds. No experience with a baton there other than having to lug it around and tap to the beat on the shield. The baton actually is mostly uses to get peoples finger and hands off the shield so you retain it and dont get pulled into the crowed. My experience with batons came much earlier in my career when I actually carried one on my belt.

I agree, knives and guns are better for damage, they are also harder to take away from someone.

I'm sure you are way more proficient with a cane than me. I suspect it will work great for you if you ever need it. I just personally don't like it and don't want to carry one. And I think the same way women walk around and feel like they are prepared because they have pepper spray in their purse, a lot of dudes feel squared away because they have a cane in their hands.
Hey, forget cane and all that, I think we actually came up with something. Might be funny and joking, the sardine and stuff in small can that the lid can be pull open without using a can opener might be the ticket!!! Forget the pad lock, or even key. Two cans in two different socks, you got it.

Hey it's known airlines are not feeding people well, bringing food onto the plane should be common. Who can question you like sardine?!!!

Then the steel water bottle you already talked about. I am actually looking on Amazon.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey, forget cane and all that, I think we actually came up with something. Might be funny and joking, the sardine and stuff in small can that the lid can be pull open without using a can opener might be the ticket!!! Forget the pad lock, or even key. Two cans in two different socks, you got it.

Hey it's known airlines are not feeding people well, bringing food onto the plane should be common. Who can question you like sardine?!!!

Then the steel water bottle you already talked about. I am actually looking on Amazon.
The only problem with dropping something in a sock is that the sock can rip open on impact or after initial impact.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I carried a D cell battery as a kid. You can put it in your fist, you can throw it, ...
It seems to me that only you and I are thinking about "long range" weapon.

Besides long range weapon, we still need "wide cover range" weapon. A can of chili powder should do the job. Just throw at your opponent's face, the fight is over.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think at the point you throw it, it would reliably be a distraction device, and if you are lucky a softening up strike. That would still have some value, but wouldn't be reliable in my opinion as a weapon you can count on if you're going to throw it. What are your thoughts on that?

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The only problem with dropping something in a sock is that the sock can rip open on impact or after initial impact.
Get a thicker sock.

Forget throwing unless you are a baseball pitcher. That's impractical.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And test it out.
My only concern is it can stretch when you swing, meaning the length changes. Does it matter, only you can tell.

For me, this is not useful, because my daily situation is very different from yours. My main outing is restaurants, Walmart shopping etc. I don't do outdoor activity at all. A can of sardine and even water bottle will be kind of look funny for me. For me, a cane fits perfectly in my natural environment. For you, sling shot and water bottle fit well.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My only concern is it can stretch when you swing, meaning the length changes. Does it matter, only you can tell.

For me, this is not useful, because my daily situation is very different from yours. My main outing is restaurants, Walmart shopping etc. I don't do outdoor activity at all. A can of sardine and even water bottle will be kind of look funny for me. For me, a cane fits perfectly in my natural environment. For you, sling shot and water bottle fit well.
I only carry the water bottle.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why not? It is the most effective weapon that doesn't draw any attention. It's there when you need it. Nobody said you have to use the cane all the way and it's the only weapon. I even practice when comes too close, I threw away the cane and go with bare hand punching and kicking. Or if I have time, pull out the pepper spray or knife from the pockets. It's not all or nothing. It's about options. That's why I carry different things and I still practice kicking and punching bare knuckled.
Basically because it's my choice and a cane is a hassle whether you need it to assist walking or not. It constantly occupies one hand in a world that often calls on two hands for various things. If you're not holding it, you have to put it somewhere, then get it back again when required. As to throwing it away in a fight, I think that's asking someone to pick it up and hit you with it.

However if you carry a cane and know how to use it defensively, it's not necessary to throw it away. It's far more than a ranged bludgeoning weapon when used correctly. Jab, punch, parry, trip, lock joints, choke, and rake with the tip. It's an excellent all-round weapon. It just requires a commitment to train with it and carry it everywhere. As to knives and pepper spray, I don't carry them. I am well armed with my two empty hands.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like poking, tripping, trapping, choking, and dragging the tip through eyes and ears and groins more than swinging a cane like a baseball bat. I love canes.
All valid uses. I'm a fan of canes too.
Yes, I should said baseball bat instead, I meant just holding like the Japanese sword with two hands.
Again, no, you don't.
1662219890643.png

The katana is gripped to optimize the slicing swing. You should be gripping your cane like a stick. A mass weapon.
1662220001768.png

1662220075627.png

You would be well advised to stop thinking there is really any commonality between swinging a cane and swinging a katana. It's not a sword of any kind. It is a club. Use it as one.
You're obviously not a diver...
We do a LOT of diving. Most dive gear is quite robust and can take all sorts of abuse. My carryon, however, is always filled with the things that shouldn't be thrown around. GoPro, dive computers, dive lights... Like this:
1662220408192.png
That is a $1300 tech dive computer. Of which I wear two. Or this:
1662221362625.png
That is a $2500 cannister light for cave diving. I only carry one of those, but with a minimum of three 1000 lumen backup lights. Lights are a big deal when you're diving in a cave. On high, this light puts out 8600 lumen and will do so for 5 hours. Turned down to it's lowest setting, it will burn for 100+ hours. That's a lot of battery. So I doubt anyone will get too excited about a D-cell battery...

I also put my masks in carryon, because prescription masks cannot readily be replaced mid-trip.

Attachments

• 1662220499742.png
    1662220499742.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 32

Latest Discussions