My TSA approved improvised weapon choice.......

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I actually don’t mind it, I just wonder what it is that I’m doing that makes get called out. I am the most rule following, law abiding square of all time for like 30 years. I’ve been all the way down to my shorts twice in the airport. Once was with my mother. She was more embarrassed than I was. Wait, I don’t mean they stripped me in front of everybody(they have a screen) Just that it was embarrassing to get searched.
I don’t know man. But I’m guessing you’re doing something. I travel relatively frequently for work. Tbh, it’s the war stories people are telling about jacking with the TSA agents that really got to me. The very idea that someone would jerk them around is irritating. These same guys are all about respecting LEO. bugs me. :)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Boarder guards while driving;
TSA at airports
Customs officers after TSA first line

When they are operating just fine and they ask a question and get it from me and then proceed all can be fine.
Seldom happens.

A large male, traveling with electronics and devices (boxes) that plug into cars and laptops to collect data, no glasses, no jewelry, being 6'3+" and being 250 to 280 lbs when I did most of the traveling put me into their prescreen category . Add in my slightly darker skin and dark / black hair and beard and not drinking alcohol as I have a diagnosed genetic liver condition.

I even did the TSA Prescreen, and retinal scan and still get asked to step aside for "reasons" even if personal and not work electronics.

I have talked to some and they told me the above profile.
The Air Marshals that I know also have told me the profile.

What gets me is the following:
Agent 1: Yelling to crown only put loose items in the bins put your shoes and jackets separately
Agent 2 standing right next to them : Yelling put everything into a bin
Agent 3: Yelling something else but unable to hear them over the PA and the other yelling agents.

Once you get to metal detector, they wave you forward.
I have been yelled at as the officer said he never gave me a verbal command.
So I stepped back. And I waited.

Even today, I stand there and wait. They get upset and say I waved you forward.
I reply, I have been yelled at and taken aside because I stepped forward for such a wave.
And then sometimes you have two agents one with hand up and other with wave
or the stop and the go at the same time.

And if they get snippy, I turn the the sergeant o team lead usually sitting off to the side and then speak loud enough for everyone to hear me.
And I explain I am confused and I point at Agent 1 and repeat what they are saying and then agent 2 and and so on.
Almost always the person in charge just smirks and waves me on.
And I stand there and tell them if they all had the same instructions it would be a lot less confusing.

I have flown into Mexican airports with the military(Rifles et al ) present for Drug Lord threats and they were much more consistent and process oriented.
I have flown into Germany where they all had small machine guns / large machine pistols on them and stationed well for fields of cover and to avoid cross fire.

LA flying internationally forces the passengers to clear customs and internationally checks at original airport and then once at LA exit, obtain their luggage and then repeat the process, many times with little to know time for connection. 1 to 2 hours.

The inconsistency is what gets me.
The attitudes of they will mess my day up if I ask a question, or pause a moment to verify a command they have given.

I am not proud of any of this.
I am just making people aware of it.

Just like I pointed out the officer who pulled me over for speeding in my subdivision while I was doping 16 in a 25.
I asked why, his response well I have a convertible so it must be me the complaints are about.

I explained they should sit at time X and Y in the morning for the soccer moms and dads trying to get their kids to school.
And the same for the afternoon, when they would be coming home and or heading back out for after school events.

He spent the next few days writing tickets.

Yet, I also complained when the police officers for the township across the major road for the subdivision exit pulled people over , and the profile was non white. The Sub I live in is very well mixed. The sub across the street and in the that township is about 1 to 2 % total minority.

The chief who happened to answer the door knock when I asked for the fix it ticket as one of the two white lights for my plate was out. Michigan only requires one, manufactures put two for just in case.
I explained her stop and her surprise when I rolled down passenger window and knew she was there.
Not upset for her safety Upset she fell into my truck and her gear on her belt scratched my vehicle.
And then she was angry that I knew where she was.
She had crossed her own spot. It was obvious.
He listened to me. I told him that I had seen her the last three knights before my stop pulling over other people.
All Black or Indian from India.
He said I was going to get her back on days to ride with someone. As I was not the only complaint.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don’t know man. But I’m guessing you’re doing something. I travel relatively frequently for work. Tbh, it’s the war stories people are telling about jacking with the TSA agents that really got to me. The very idea that someone would jerk them around is irritating. These same guys are all about respecting LEO. bugs me. :)
I get that. I’m not trippin at all just makes me wonder. I get to airport, and anywhere I go, EARLY. Then I’m never in a hurry. I never get tickets because I dont speed. I pay attention and I leave early. I am what you might refer to as “squared away” so I don’t have that sort of problem. I do however tend to attract tsa attention. I never give guff, I just cooperate. I’ve got time if they do.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I get that. I’m not trippin at all just makes me wonder. I get to airport, and anywhere I go, EARLY. Then I’m never in a hurry. I never get tickets because I dont speed. I pay attention and I leave early. I am what you might refer to as “squared away” so I don’t have that sort of problem. I do however tend to attract tsa attention. I never give guff, I just cooperate. I’ve got time if they do.
That's the best way. The more you confront them, the more they antagonize you. It's set up that they have a lot of power and leeway to check and search. The more you make a scene, the more they can detain you. It's like driving on the road, police can stop you for speeding driving 26mph at a 25mile zone. They can really do that and it will hold up in court. It is up to the discretion of the police. They might let you get away driving 50 at a 35 zone, or they can ticket you at 36. The more one argue, the more they get delay. They have the whole day making your life difficult and they get to go home on time. It's you that miss the flight.

Unfair, yes, but that's life. I got stop in the airport one time, but that was fast. No delay, just double checked and I got to move on.

jstacy1228

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't really get what you are trying to say. Almost seems like those that need a cane to walk feel offended if someone carry a cane not for walking. What I do has nothing to do with those that need a cane.

I pick up a cane since the beginning of last year when older Asians are being attacked on the street. And I practice hard in using the cane as stick fight. I am not going to say I have a few years in MA and I can defend myself, bad things happens when one is over confident even though I still practice MA and exercise 7 hours a week. A cane and practice how to use it can only help.

I am not going to comment on how others feel, I can only speak for myself that I DO NOT under estimate the opponent and I do not think too highly of myself that I can defend myself bare handed. Those that think they can confidently defending themselves, good for them. I always practice and prepare. Particular now that I am getting old and slowing down no matter how hard I try. I can use all the help I can get.

I hope people don't get offended when others that don't need a cane but carrying one. This has nothing to do with you needing a cane. It's all about how I feel to prepare myself.
Not offended, at least speaking personally. But I'll try to choose my words wisely because I do think this is complex issue.

I'll preface this by saying that I think in a perfect world, you should be able to carry whatever you like, including things classed as actual weapons. But, we don't live in that world. So, with different restrictions in different countries around the globe, there's this cottage industry that has grown up around the idea of looking for things that you can press into service as weapons pretty much anywhere with no restrictions.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that on the face of it, and as an exercise in learning more, I look for these topics myself. As a disabled cane-user, though, I have some more nuanced thoughts about the seeming rise of the cane as "everybody's weapon of choice" in recent decades. I know cane fighting has been a niche in MA since before I was born, but selling canes as primarily defensive tools seems to have really taken off in the past few years. That's not necessarily bad, but the whole reason behind it is that canes are innocuous and traditionally associated with infirmity, age, or both. While they can be dangerous in trained hands, the whole point of their popularity today is "no one will look twice because cane."

And I get that appeal, especially since it gives one the freedom to go anywhere in the world with it. What I don't want to happen, as unlikely as it may be, is for people to start seeing canes as primarily weapons. It could cause trouble for people like me, and I have enough of that just being a disabled guy in this world. I think that is probably unlikely given that there aren't that many people carrying canes in the streets today.

But, researching canes as I do, I've come across quite a few companies that encourage pretty much anyone to buy canes just to carry around. It's not for me to say whether that is right or wrong, but I will say that it does kind of rub me the wrong way (again, not enough to be offended by it). There's even one company that--for an extra fee of course--will send you a laminated card you can show people that says your cane is a medical device and they can't hassle you about it. Numbers printed on the card in case of trouble, including the number to the ADA, which is a document and not an organization. I still don't know what that phone number goes to.

No such card is necessary, at least not yet. Further, it kind of rubs me the wrong way that this company is catering to people who want canes for defense and outright telling them to make it look like a medical issue as much as possible. That's an indictment of the company more so than it is anyone who wants to carry a cane, but it's still one that I think bears talking about.

I'm not offended by people who want to carry a cane that never touches the ground. I just don't fully understand it. If I didn't need a cane to walk and maintain my balance, I could do a thousand other things that are excellent for self-defense that I can't do today, and the cane would be unnecessary--it wouldn't enter my mind to even purchase or carry one with me because my options would be greatly expanded already.

There's value in finding force multipliers not classed as weapons, surely. But, I sometimes think people without any physical issues, strong and abled men particularly, don't realize just how many options they have at their disposal just by... being normal. I think many people who are desperately searching for innocuous weapons (which is not to say you are desperate, by any means) don't realize just what kind of playing field they are on already. I don't envy that; I'm happy for them.

jstacy1228

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

I've only traveled a few times in my life to places where I would need to deal with the TSA. I'm disabled and non-threatening, and I usually have airport staff with me to help, so everything goes pretty much smoothly. Even if it did not, I am too anxious during travel to bother hassling the TSA about anything.

There's one thing that sometimes happens with them that does bug me, though. It's those rare occasions on which I'm following all of the rules posted, but the agent that day decided, for whatever reason, that they didn't want to. As an example, last year there were very clearly posted rules an airport I was going through. I had to put different, specific items in different bins, rather than stuffing as much as one can in one bin as is usually the case. I thought that was overkill, but rules are rules, and I'm prepared to follow.

TSA agent proceeds to yell at me for doing that and demanding that I repack everything I'd been sorting into a different bin. Also no problem. It takes me a while to get through screening with my disability, and I'm too anxious to give them hassle out the signs that are posted quite clearly. It did grate on me that I got yelled at for doing my best to follow proper procedures, however. If I'm following the rules, particularly trying hard not to make their lives more miserable, I don't think I should get yelled at for that.

I've never been pulled out of line or questioned, but the one thing I think should be granted is a modicum of politeness if I'm trying to follow their rules. That's all I'll say about that.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not offended, at least speaking personally. But I'll try to choose my words wisely because I do think this is complex issue.

I'll preface this by saying that I think in a perfect world, you should be able to carry whatever you like, including things classed as actual weapons. But, we don't live in that world. So, with different restrictions in different countries around the globe, there's this cottage industry that has grown up around the idea of looking for things that you can press into service as weapons pretty much anywhere with no restrictions.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that on the face of it, and as an exercise in learning more, I look for these topics myself. As a disabled cane-user, though, I have some more nuanced thoughts about the seeming rise of the cane as "everybody's weapon of choice" in recent decades. I know cane fighting has been a niche in MA since before I was born, but selling canes as primarily defensive tools seems to have really taken off in the past few years. That's not necessarily bad, but the whole reason behind it is that canes are innocuous and traditionally associated with infirmity, age, or both. While they can be dangerous in trained hands, the whole point of their popularity today is "no one will look twice because cane."

And I get that appeal, especially since it gives one the freedom to go anywhere in the world with it. What I don't want to happen, as unlikely as it may be, is for people to start seeing canes as primarily weapons. It could cause trouble for people like me, and I have enough of that just being a disabled guy in this world. I think that is probably unlikely given that there aren't that many people carrying canes in the streets today.

But, researching canes as I do, I've come across quite a few companies that encourage pretty much anyone to buy canes just to carry around. It's not for me to say whether that is right or wrong, but I will say that it does kind of rub me the wrong way (again, not enough to be offended by it). There's even one company that--for an extra fee of course--will send you a laminated card you can show people that says your cane is a medical device and they can't hassle you about it. Numbers printed on the card in case of trouble, including the number to the ADA, which is a document and not an organization. I still don't know what that phone number goes to.

No such card is necessary, at least not yet. Further, it kind of rubs me the wrong way that this company is catering to people who want canes for defense and outright telling them to make it look like a medical issue as much as possible. That's an indictment of the company more so than it is anyone who wants to carry a cane, but it's still one that I think bears talking about.

I'm not offended by people who want to carry a cane that never touches the ground. I just don't fully understand it. If I didn't need a cane to walk and maintain my balance, I could do a thousand other things that are excellent for self-defense that I can't do today, and the cane would be unnecessary--it wouldn't enter my mind to even purchase or carry one with me because my options would be greatly expanded already.

There's value in finding force multipliers not classed as weapons, surely. But, I sometimes think people without any physical issues, strong and abled men particularly, don't realize just how many options they have at their disposal just by... being normal. I think many people who are desperately searching for innocuous weapons (which is not to say you are desperate, by any means) don't realize just what kind of playing field they are on already. I don't envy that; I'm happy for them.
People that can walk normal still have the right and can be benefited with a cane as a self defense weapon. To be blunt, I worry about my safety first, I cannot say I am not going to carry a cane just because I make the ones that need the cane more vulnerable. How about me at 69 has to walk the street where so many older Chinese are being attacked for no reason? I cannot worry about what cane companies sales tactics, I never even listen to any of those, All I know is I am older, I cannot rely on my bare knuckles to protect myself and my wife.

As for practice, it would be a big mistake for people just carry the cane and think they can protect themselves. I have been practice for a year and half, I have no plan to slow down. You saw the video I posted on my cane hitting the heavy bags, that was 9 months ago, I never slow down since.

There is another reason to choose cane. It is NOT as deadly as knife or gun. It is more effective than pocket knifes. I practice hitting the legs as it's not as deadly, but at the same time can slow the attacker down so I can get away. Also, it's harder for the attacker to grab my cane when I hit low. I cannot sacrifice the best defensive weapon worry about how it make other people feel and look. OP doesn't think cane is useful, I disagree. Short of guns, a cane is as good an alternative as anything I can think of if not better.

i also carry pepper spray in my left pocket and a folding knife in my right pocket. If I lose my cane in the middle of the fight, then I have no choice but to pull out the deadlier weapon. I do practice knife on heavy bag with a plastic knife. I don't just carry and think that I can use it when needed. I don't want to be over confident and under estimate the opponent. Always think of a back up plan.

jstacy1228

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
People that can walk normal still have the right and can be benefited with a cane as a self defense weapon. To be blunt, I worry about my safety first, I cannot say I am not going to carry a cane just because I make the ones that need the cane more vulnerable. How about me at 69 has to walk the street where so many older Chinese are being attacked for no reason? I cannot worry about what cane companies sales tactics, I never even listen to any of those, All I know is I am older, I cannot rely on my bare knuckles to protect myself and my wife.

As for practice, it would be a big mistake for people just carry the cane and think they can protect themselves. I have been practice for a year and half, I have no plan to slow down. You saw the video I posted on my cane hitting the heavy bags, that was 9 months ago, I never slow down since.

There is another reason to choose cane. It is NOT as deadly as knife or gun. It is more effective than pocket knifes. I practice hitting the legs as it's not as deadly, but at the same time can slow the attacker down so I can get away. Also, it's harder for the attacker to grab my cane when I hit low. I cannot sacrifice the best defensive weapon worry about how it make other people feel and look. OP doesn't think cane is useful, I disagree. Short of guns, a cane is as good an alternative as anything I can think of if not better.

I'm not suggesting you should consider the actually infirm who need canes in order to function in society. What I'm suggesting is that people like that--like me--almost always think of canes in a totally different way than you do, and with good reason. You might be getting older, as we all are, but your options are almost limitless compared to someone like me.

Getting into an actual fight, with any hope of winning, often involves being able to have good balance and footwork as much as it involves being good with one's fists. When you don't have those things, the prospect of having a confrontation with some other person is far more harrowing. I don't know what your actual physical acumen is at this stage of your life, but you almost certainly have one tool in your arsenal that I do not: running. With or without the cane, I cannot run. It's one of the best things you can do, provided you have the option and space to do it, or you can make the space to do it.

When you don't have that, you have to think about other things. Essentially, you have to consider that, in any confrontation you might face, you're going to have to face it. Almost everyone I meet in my life is going to be able to outrun me. That means I must fight them if it comes to that. It requires a completely different mindset than just preparing to fight someone. This is compounded by my physical options of actually winning the fight, particularly without injury, are going to be low.

It isn't your fault that we come from different worlds with totally different mindsets about canes, just as it isn't mine. It just is what it is.

It is wild to me that there are so many people who are otherwise fit and healthy who look for improvised weapons like this. I understand it on some level, but not on all levels. I can't, because my usual thought about a force multiplier is "I hope I can pick something I'm able to use effectively while disabled that will allow me to at least be at the level of 90% of the average people I will meet."

That isn't how most people view force multipliers. They view them as something to give them an edge over an average person that they assume is at least on their level. I just look for ways to get to that baseline level starting already below it. The cane is one way, but only because I already need it every day anyway. And that need, in turn, lowers its effectiveness as a defensive tool. To be able to run and jump and punch and kick and run away are, for the most part, foreign concepts I've never experienced a day in my life. I can't imagine how many options you have.

A cane is only a good choice for defense if you don't need it to walk or stand upright. We just have very different perspective because our needs are very different. I can't fully grasp yours nor you mine, and that's okay. Nowhere did I say you shouldn't have any right to carry the cane if you want, but you had asked why someone who needs it might not carry it, and this is my long-winded answer to that nuanced topic.

All that said, all of my canes are deadly weapons, and with running away not being an option for me, I'm probably going for the head if it comes down to that.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm not suggesting you should consider the actually infirm who need canes in order to function in society. What I'm suggesting is that people like that--like me--almost always think of canes in a totally different way than you do, and with good reason. You might be getting older, as we all are, but your options are almost limitless compared to someone like me.

Getting into an actual fight, with any hope of winning, often involves being able to have good balance and footwork as much as it involves being good with one's fists. When you don't have those things, the prospect of having a confrontation with some other person is far more harrowing. I don't know what your actual physical acumen is at this stage of your life, but you almost certainly have one tool in your arsenal that I do not: running. With or without the cane, I cannot run. It's one of the best things you can do, provided you have the option and space to do it, or you can make the space to do it.

When you don't have that, you have to think about other things. Essentially, you have to consider that, in any confrontation you might face, you're going to have to face it. Almost everyone I meet in my life is going to be able to outrun me. That means I must fight them if it comes to that. It requires a completely different mindset than just preparing to fight someone. This is compounded by my physical options of actually winning the fight, particularly without injury, are going to be low.

It isn't your fault that we come from different worlds with totally different mindsets about canes, just as it isn't mine. It just is what it is.

It is wild to me that there are so many people who are otherwise fit and healthy who look for improvised weapons like this. I understand it on some level, but not on all levels. I can't, because my usual thought about a force multiplier is "I hope I can pick something I'm able to use effectively while disabled that will allow me to at least be at the level of 90% of the average people I will meet."

That isn't how most people view force multipliers. They view them as something to give them an edge over an average person that they assume is at least on their level. I just look for ways to get to that baseline level starting already below it. The cane is one way, but only because I already need it every day anyway. And that need, in turn, lowers its effectiveness as a defensive tool. To be able to run and jump and punch and kick and run away are, for the most part, foreign concepts I've never experienced a day in my life. I can't imagine how many options you have.

A cane is only a good choice for defense if you don't need it to walk or stand upright. We just have very different perspective because our needs are very different. I can't fully grasp yours nor you mine, and that's okay. Nowhere did I say you shouldn't have any right to carry the cane if you want, but you had asked why someone who needs it might not carry it, and this is my long-winded answer to that nuanced topic.

All that said, all of my canes are deadly weapons, and with running away not being an option for me, I'm probably going for the head if it comes down to that.
I don't pretend to know how to advice you or anything. One thing I want to say is do weight training, more on your upper body so you can be stronger. That will make up at least some of you mobility problem.

Unlike most of the MA people, I think strength is very very important. I put in 7 hours a week, half of it is weight lifting. I truly believe strength make everything better. Don't listen to people said strength doesn't matter if you have good technique. Strength is every bit as important in fighting.

I remember 20 years ago I had hemorrhoid surgery, my whole lower body was wasted. Because my upper body was strong enough, I could easily pull myself up from beg, get in and out of the car and do a lot of thing just using my hands to move my body around.

jstacy1228

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't pretend to know how to advice you or anything. One thing I want to say is do weight training, more on your upper body so you can be stronger. That will make up at least some of you mobility problem.

Unlike most of the MA people, I think strength is very very important. I put in 7 hours a week, half of it is weight lifting. I truly believe strength make everything better. Don't listen to people said strength doesn't matter if you have good technique. Strength is every bit as important in fighting.

I remember 20 years ago I had hemorrhoid surgery, my whole lower body was wasted. Because my upper body was strong enough, I could easily pull myself up from beg, get in and out of the car and do a lot of thing just using my hands to move my body around.

Oh upper body strength is very important, no argument there. It is necessary to compensate for a weaker lower half, for sure (and a good thing to have even if your lower half is strong).

It's not that I'd be totally helpless if I had to hit someone with a cane--it would just require very specific circumstances for it to work in my favor. I'd need time to widen my stance, I'd need to have something behind me so that it would be harder to knock me down, and I'd need to be ready to swing the cane while maintaining my balance, managing my fear, and hoping that one or two strikes with basically no footwork would do the job. If any of that is out of place, my odds are really not very good.

I see the appeal of the cane; I would just probably see it more if my body worked properly to where I didn't need it. But, I might just as easily feel secure without any weapon or improvised weapon, too. I've never lived like that so I can't really say, I might think completely different about self-defense, honestly. In any case, I wish you well in your endeavors.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've only traveled a few times in my life to places where I would need to deal with the TSA. I'm disabled and non-threatening, and I usually have airport staff with me to help, so everything goes pretty much smoothly. Even if it did not, I am too anxious during travel to bother hassling the TSA about anything.

There's one thing that sometimes happens with them that does bug me, though. It's those rare occasions on which I'm following all of the rules posted, but the agent that day decided, for whatever reason, that they didn't want to. As an example, last year there were very clearly posted rules an airport I was going through. I had to put different, specific items in different bins, rather than stuffing as much as one can in one bin as is usually the case. I thought that was overkill, but rules are rules, and I'm prepared to follow.

TSA agent proceeds to yell at me for doing that and demanding that I repack everything I'd been sorting into a different bin. Also no problem. It takes me a while to get through screening with my disability, and I'm too anxious to give them hassle out the signs that are posted quite clearly. It did grate on me that I got yelled at for doing my best to follow proper procedures, however. If I'm following the rules, particularly trying hard not to make their lives more miserable, I don't think I should get yelled at for that.

I've never been pulled out of line or questioned, but the one thing I think should be granted is a modicum of politeness if I'm trying to follow their rules. That's all I'll say about that.

If you don't travel often, it can be really stressful. TSA is trying to keep the line moving, and I've seen a lot of folks get stressed out because they feel like they have to move fast, which can actually cause them to miss stuff, not hear instructions, and make things go slower. The folks behind you can sometimes add pressure too, especially if they appear to be in a rush (which a lot of folks in the airport are)... just adding more pressure. But there are a few things you can do.

My recommendations for getting through TSA as stress free as possible are pretty simple. Check out the rules for your airport in advance. This will help you know what you need to put in checked baggage, what you can carry on, and how you need to pack it. For example, if you don't want to check a bag, you'll probably need to make sure that your toiletries are in small bottles, and in quart sized ziploc bags. Sometimes, they want you to pull those out and put them in a bin... sometimes, they don't. Some places will ask you to run your kindle and phone through seperately, some don't. And so on.

Once you're at the security line, if you're not sure what the rules are, I recommend getting into a longer line (counterintuitive, I know). This will allow a little room to breathe and give you some time to see what the folks in front of you are being asked to do. Then get your own stuff ready. So, for example, you'll be able to see if they're asking folks to spread out into separate bins or cram them into one. Another example is usually, they want you to remove your shoes, but not always.

I rarely run into any issues. I smile a lot (I smile a lot in general), pay attention to what's going on around me, try to anticipate what they're going to need, and I try not to be a jerk. Makes the entire process pretty easy.

Last edited:

jstacy1228

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you don't travel often, it can be really stressful. TSA is trying to keep the line moving, and I've seen a lot of folks get stressed out because they feel like they have to move fast, which can actually cause them to miss stuff, not hear instructions, and make things go slower. The folks behind you can sometimes add pressure too, especially if they appear to be in a rush (which a lot of folks in the airport are)... just adding more pressure. But there are a few things you can do.

My recommendations for getting through TSA as stress free as possible are pretty simple. Check out the rules for your airport in advance. This will help you know what you need to put in checked baggage, what you can carry on, and how you need to pack it. For example, if you don't want to check a bag, you'll probably need to make sure that your toiletries are in small bottles, and in quart sized ziploc bags. Sometimes, they want you to pull those out and put them in a bin... sometimes, they don't. Some places will ask you to run your kindle and phone through seperately, some don't. And so on.

Once you're at the security line, if you're not sure what the rules are, I recommend getting into a longer line (counterintuitive, I know). This will allow a little room to breathe and give you some time to see what the folks in front of you are being asked to do. Then get your own stuff ready. So, for example, you'll be able to see if they're asking folks to spread out into separate bins or cram them into one. Another example is usually, they want you to remove your shoes, but not always.

I rarely run into any issues. I smile a lot (I smile a lot in general), pay attention to what's going on around me, try to anticipate what they're going to need, and I try not to be a jerk. Makes the entire process pretty easy.

In terms of airport navigation, I'm a little bit fortunate because I set up assistance prior to going there. An employee pretty much zips me through security (still performing all usual checks of course) and gets me to my gate. It can get a little problematic if they leave me at the gate because I might need to go somewhere nearby, and that can get tough and confusing. But otherwise, setting up assistance does help a lot.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just look the motion and I use it. Whether there is a little slicing during the chop is small difference. Obvious it's useless to put slicing motion with the cane.

Nothing fit perfect, I yet to find anything that is 100% for using with a cane. This motion sure a lot closer and better than analogy of swinging a baseball bet. It's the closest I can find.

Like I said, I just use the chopping motion, forget the little slicing. It's the closest I can find for stick fight with two hands.
I think the point I and others are making is that using most of a slicing motion isn't probsably effective for developing a chopping-type strike. And I'm not sure a chopping motion would be the best way to develop striking for a blunt instrument, either. Rather than copying the gross movements of something vaguely related, why not start from scratch and just work out a method for striking with the object in question?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think the point I and others are making is that using most of a slicing motion isn't probsably effective for developing a chopping-type strike. And I'm not sure a chopping motion would be the best way to develop striking for a blunt instrument, either. Rather than copying the gross movements of something vaguely related, why not start from scratch and just work out a method for striking with the object in question?
Not getting into the katana-gate discussion. But the part I emphasized above stood out. We have some FMA dudes around here. When I dabbled with FMA 15 some odd years ago, one of the things they emphasized was that all the stuff could be applied either empty handed, with a stick, or a knife, or a machete. For example, when we did senawali with sticks, I was told to hold and index them as though they had an edge. Now, I may have misunderstood, but that's what stuck with me.

So, this idea of learning techniques that are indifferent to the tool doesn't seem all that strange to me. I guess I'm not sure why folks are so worked up about this.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is not chopping. You do not understand what they're doing.

I've seen those, and far more.

I have. So have others. The Katana is not a chopping weapon. You seem to be the only person in the conversation who doesn't understand this.
Give me a break, I looked into it, they CHOP down, but they pull a little slice. At best, it's 90% chop 10% slice. You want to call it something else just because they do not call chopping, it's your choice. The motion is at leat 90% chopping. For me, I eliminate the slice and do it more chop.

At least it's closer to what I am doing that baseball bet swing. Baseball bet swing is NOT useful. You put all the effort in one swing and you can even lose balance like those hitters miss the ball when swing and they have to take a step to regain their balance. It is USELESS for cane fight.

Nothing fits perfect for cane fight, at least chopping motion of katana fits 90%.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not getting into the katana-gate discussion. But the part I emphasized above stood out. We have some FMA dudes around here. When I dabbled with FMA 15 some odd years ago, one of the things they emphasized was that all the stuff could be applied either empty handed, with a stick, or a knife, or a machete. For example, when we did senawali with sticks, I was told to hold and index them as though they had an edge. Now, I may have misunderstood, but that's what stuck with me.

So, this idea of learning techniques that are indifferent to the tool doesn't seem all that strange to me. I guess I'm not sure why folks are so worked up about this.
I experienced that in my FMA training, too. Within a system, there's a good reason to work with movements that cross contexts (like moving your unbladed weapon in similar ways to a bladed one) - it essentially creates cross-training leverage. I don't think that applies where you're focusing on one weapon by looking at how a quite different weapon is trained.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It is hard to find any style that is for cane. Most of them are just too fancy. You would think like Tapado would be good or even Hanbo. Tapado uses a longer stick and keep hitting the ground to bounce back. I watched Hanbo, like I said the cane is asymmetrical and the hook handle can catch on something while hitting and pull off from the hand. You really cannot do symmetrical mirror motion with a cane. Also, the way they hold the stick with both thumbs facing inward, you really cannot swing that fast either way.
Here are some hanbo strikes that will work great with a cane:

Here is another way to strike with a hanbo, that would also work great with a cane:

Don't be so worried about them grabbing your cane... learn how to use their grab against them:

And using the hook of the cane to hook the other guy... can be your advantage instead of theirs.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I experienced that in my FMA training, too. Within a system, there's a good reason to work with movements that cross contexts (like moving your unbladed weapon in similar ways to a bladed one) - it essentially creates cross-training leverage. I don't think that applies where you're focusing on one weapon by looking at how a quite different weapon is trained.
Is a stick not quite different from a machete or an empty hand? I don't get it.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Is a stick not quite different from a machete or an empty hand? I don't get it.
The way you cut with a machete is much closer to the way you would hit with a stick. The way you cut with a katana is very different than the way you cut with a machete or hit with a stick. If you used a katana the same way as you use a machete... it would not work very well at all, and could destroy your katana.

Latest Discussions