my new office

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That must be so frustrating for you chaps - my sympathy and just a little eyebrow raise that those who determine policy are so unconcerned about bringing villains within reach of the arm of the law.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That must be so frustrating for you chaps - my sympathy and just a little eyebrow raise that those who determine policy are so unconcerned about bringing villains within reach of the arm of the law.

It's all about the lawsuits.

OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

We brought it on ourselves really some guys don't know when enough is enough and when its just not safe anymore. They get tunnel vision and only think I gotta get him. Then they or someone else dies over a seatbelt ticket and suspended driver. I am against our absolute ban I think supervisors should know their people and you known which officers can take the stress and which ones can't and they should be able to make the call

OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
By the way Carol of you guys came up with this silly program you need to go back to then drawing board it sucks

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not our stuff (seriously). We make a secure comms appliance...something thats more likely to be in an EOC/ICP than a patrol car. But I had to look anyway....LOL!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's exactly what we saw. Add to it our long gun's and its a VERY cramped workspace. I believe the "powers" are going to supplement our Tahoes...possibly with the Caprice. There were a few old Caprices in our fleet when I got hired and IMO they were damn fast cars. But those were BIG EIGHT models.

Of course, speed is not really a factor with the admin types....they would prefer we not get into car chases anyways..

We only went with a half-cage in the one with a cage -- but I've heard from several of our larger officers that it's still cramped. They also put the rack for the long guns behind the driver seat... several problems with that; I'll only note the obvious -- you gotta get out to get 'em. Speed is a minor factor for us; small municipal jurisdiction, so we don't really need triple digits. The one that's marked up looks nice...

Another issue we ran into was quality control from Ford... Apparently, they'd been wired all wrong from the factory, and that added time to outfitting them.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

It's all about the lawsuits.

Yes & no. Gonna put on my "wanna get promoted" hat for a moment. One extreme: you run, we'll chase you 'til the wheels fall off. Opposite extreme: you run, and we'll watch you disappear over the horizon. Neither is good. The reality is that sometimes, it's not worth the risk of a pursuit. Is it really worth endangering your officers, the public, and the violator to get some guy for an improper left turn? OK -- let's assume there's a good reason for him running (warrants, a dead body in the trunk, hundreds of pounds of coke, ecstasy, and heroin filling the car... whatever)... But he blasts a school teacher on her way to church (really happened near me)... was it worth her life? There's a line where we have an obligation to balance the risks to ourselves, the public and lastly, the violator when we chase. That said -- let's be real: if we terminate a pursuit, the bad guy seldom stops running as soon as they're out of sight. And there are bad guys out there who need to be chased, definitely.

One final thing on no pursuit policy... There's an agency between me & ballen's... They have a very restrictive pursuit policy. So... pursuits don't happen. At least not officially. They end up being carried out on car-to-car radio channels, or done without use of the radio... To me -- a good policy will recognize the actual behaviors of cops and offenders, and try to strike that reasonable mid-point that lets the justifiable pursuits go on -- but avoids the ones that aren't worth the risk.

OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We have the no chase chases Here too. "Radio subjects failing to stop I'm shutting off lights and siren I'll just be following him". Yeah OK so now your chasing someone with no emergency equipment to warn others. I disagree with our policy but that behavior is even worse and more dangerous then just chasing people. County and state can chase so the excuse it to follow them until they get here. So now were still endangering people with a chase but its not our problem because some other agency is doing the chasing we just follow along to assist. Like I said 1st line supervisors should known their people well enough to know who should and shouldn't be chasing and make it their call.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes & no. Gonna put on my "wanna get promoted" hat for a moment. One extreme: you run, we'll chase you 'til the wheels fall off. Opposite extreme: you run, and we'll watch you disappear over the horizon. Neither is good. The reality is that sometimes, it's not worth the risk of a pursuit. Is it really worth endangering your officers, the public, and the violator to get some guy for an improper left turn? OK -- let's assume there's a good reason for him running (warrants, a dead body in the trunk, hundreds of pounds of coke, ecstasy, and heroin filling the car... whatever)... But he blasts a school teacher on her way to church (really happened near me)... was it worth her life? There's a line where we have an obligation to balance the risks to ourselves, the public and lastly, the violator when we chase. That said -- let's be real: if we terminate a pursuit, the bad guy seldom stops running as soon as they're out of sight. And there are bad guys out there who need to be chased, definitely.

One final thing on no pursuit policy... There's an agency between me & ballen's... They have a very restrictive pursuit policy. So... pursuits don't happen. At least not officially. They end up being carried out on car-to-car radio channels, or done without use of the radio... To me -- a good policy will recognize the actual behaviors of cops and offenders, and try to strike that reasonable mid-point that lets the justifiable pursuits go on -- but avoids the ones that aren't worth the risk.

Our policy allows pursuits for felony crimes, and allows officers to "follow" for a "reasonable time and distance" for other offenses, but mandates that supervisors terminate pursuits for non-felony offenses when it becomes apparent that it's not going to end safely and/or soon (read: most of them). And mandates that any pursuit be terminated when it becomes apparent that it's getting out of control.

The boss has to write up an "explain yourself" report for all pursuits on his watch (always fun doing that) so it's in his best interest to end them in most cases. It's actually a pretty good policy.

Chases on Midnight's are also a different animal from chases on Day's

LOL at the last paragraph. There's a nearby PD where "terminate pursuit" really means "stop broadcasting the pursuit on the radio".

Some of the old timers tell stories of the days when chases were almost a weekly thing. And they were allowed to "shoot out tires". Times have changed.

OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My first department was a small department in a rural area we had like 40 officers sheriff department had like 20. We got a call from the county sheriff asking for us to go to an address in the county and look for a vehicle so i asked why they didn't go. The deputy said well we got into a chase with that vehicle but ummm we wrecked all our cars. They crashed 5 police cars in the chase. I just started laughing. They would chase for anything and didn't stop until they caught him , ran out of gas , or crashed.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you for the professional insights and inputs gentlemen :tup:. It is always great to hear things from those that know.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
May I ask you gents a question about car chases. One happened not far away from me in Mass. that left me scratching my head.

Midnight-ish, a patrolman for "Town PD" tries to pull over a MV for what sounded like a routine traffic matter. Driver took off down the river road towards the neighboring city. Patrolman followed, apparently with speeds around triple digits. Town PD radioed City PD, but shortly after crossing in to the city, the occupants abandoned the vehicle and took off on foot. City PD then radios Town PD with the location of the MV, and tells them they can retrieve it. Town PD says they don't want the car! City PD then takes the....which comes up as stolen (from a City resident).

Why would the Town PD not want the car after going through that? Is this a funding thing? Something else? I'm just curious.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
May I ask you gents a question about car chases. One happened not far away from me in Mass. that left me scratching my head.

Midnight-ish, a patrolman for "Town PD" tries to pull over a MV for what sounded like a routine traffic matter. Driver took off down the river road towards the neighboring city. Patrolman followed, apparently with speeds around triple digits. Town PD radioed City PD, but shortly after crossing in to the city, the occupants abandoned the vehicle and took off on foot. City PD then radios Town PD with the location of the MV, and tells them they can retrieve it. Town PD says they don't want the car! City PD then takes the....which comes up as stolen (from a City resident).

Why would the Town PD not want the car after going through that? Is this a funding thing? Something else? I'm just curious.

Did they catch the guy?

When something crosses jurisdictional borders there is always a dance over who gets what, who does what, who charges who (that's why they pay supervisors the "big bucks" ;) ). The car was just as stolen in the City as it was in the town...as it ended in the city and the car was a city residents the Town officers probably just decided to let them have the whole thing. If the guy was caught the Town PD could just file charges/apply for an arrest warrant in their jurisdiction and take possession of the guy after the city was done with him.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Did they catch the guy?

When something crosses jurisdictional borders there is always a dance over who gets what, who does what, who charges who (that's why they pay supervisors the "big bucks" ;) ). The car was just as stolen in the City as it was in the town...as it ended in the city and the car was a city residents the Town officers probably just decided to let them have the whole thing. If the guy was caught the Town PD could just file charges/apply for an arrest warrant in their jurisdiction and take possession of the guy after the city was done with him.

I don't think they did. The city gave chase on foot but when the town was radioed, the suspects were still at large. Not sure if they were caught after the fact or not.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think they did. The city gave chase on foot but when the town was radioed, the suspects were still at large. Not sure if they were caught after the fact or not.

If the car was stolen in the City and belongs to a City resident it's probably logical that the City PD take it and conduct their investigation re: who was in it that night. If and when they figure that out the Town can lay their charges for the reckless operation, felony evading, etc. If the car was a "Town steal" I'd think the Town would want it for processing and investigation.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If the car was stolen in the City and belongs to a City resident it's probably logical that the City PD take it and conduct their investigation re: who was in it that night. If and when they figure that out the Town can lay their charges for the reckless operation, felony evading, etc. If the car was a "Town steal" I'd think the Town would want it for processing and investigation.

That makes sense to me. What confused me is the order in which it played out over the radio.
City called Town to get the car. Town told City they don't want the car. City begins processing the car and THEN city dispatch indicates the car was reported stolen.

I understand there is more going on behind the scenes...this simply be the case of the radio not carrying the whole story :)

OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Or could be case of town cop didn't want to deal with the extra paperwork since nobody was arrested. We call that punting

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I give it about a week. Already cleaned up blood from back seat when I got here this morning

Do you share the vehicle? Or is that blood from your previous shift's festivities?

Latest Discussions