My instructor trains us to be tense/rigid

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
We had some Korean foreign exchange students sign up for class. I have never seen such talented martial artists. (TKD) They were 3rd degree. I doubt I would have that level of skill at 3rd degree. I can picture in my mind my instructors response. My instructor would say "It's becuase their 3rd degree" But is it really that their 3rd degree? or do they really practice taekwondo the way it should be practiced. With the Korean beliefs, the korean ideology, and korean culture.
I know that LaurenTKD already brought this up but it is really confusing me. What is your rank? Your profile says your are 3rd Dan, but your statement above says other wise (http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/member.php?u=9102).

Seems like you are looking for attention. This is why I say you need some counsiling or therapy.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
"You can't expect me to explain everything and make it sound justifiable."

Well than you cant expect to get a decent answer either??

OP
R

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm not 3rd degree.

For a long time I muscled my punches and kicks. We are told to relax until the time of contact with the target. Thats why some people seem to have crazy agility. Agility is not even a term used at my studio. It's just becuase they are 3rd degree.

Thats why I would rather do a strength sport. I'll move through a full range of motion relaxing and contracting the muscle. I am getting stronger, bigger, and with better shape. I have more time to lift. More energy to lift and I can focus more on diet.

Bodybuilding seems more scientfic. With physiology I can be logical about my training.

Hearing "your side kick is off" doesn't help. My instructor doesn't tell me how to fix it. Just fix it! Is the mantra. It's hard when flexibility and higher body weight factors in. How about this. Why doesn;t he tell me I am overweight for taekwondo and need to lose weight (any type of weight) or I'll never succeed at the level the of world champions.

Even for bodybuilding I am fat. I am not ripped. My goals are much more modest when it comes to building a quality physique.

I am just going to stay in shape. I am going to be a bodybuilder/powerlifter. My nervous system is wired for a strength sport.

OP
R

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
"You can't expect me to explain everything and make it sound justifiable."

Well than you cant expect to get a decent answer either??

I am not upset with you.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rabbit here is another way of looking at this, TKD is not for you with your current instructor. I am fat by all means of life and yet I can still execute the proper technique for all kicks. Being fat does not mean you cannot achieve a goal it is solely up to each and every person to build there core of muscle, I am sorry you have had such a bad experience with your current instructor and hopefully one day you can come back and fully achieve a level you feel comfibily with.

xfighter88

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm not 3rd degree.

For a long time I muscled my punches and kicks. We are told to relax until the time of contact with the target. Thats why some people seem to have crazy agility. Agility is not even a term used at my studio. It's just becuase they are 3rd degree.

Thats why I would rather do a strength sport. I'll move through a full range of motion relaxing and contracting the muscle. I am getting stronger, bigger, and with better shape. I have more time to lift. More energy to lift and I can focus more on diet.

Bodybuilding seems more scientfic. With physiology I can be logical about my training.

Hearing "your side kick is off" doesn't help. My instructor doesn't tell me how to fix it. Just fix it! Is the mantra. It's hard when flexibility and higher body weight factors in. How about this. Why doesn;t he tell me I am overweight for taekwondo and need to lose weight (any type of weight) or I'll never succeed at the level the of world champions.

Even for bodybuilding I am fat. I am not ripped. My goals are much more modest when it comes to building a quality physique.

I am just going to stay in shape. I am going to be a bodybuilder/powerlifter. My nervous system is wired for a strength sport.

I see where you are coming from a bit more now. It seems your instructor could stand to explain a bit more what he means by "it sounds wrong." Hard to learn when you don't know what to fix or how to fix it. As far as switching to a strength sport, do what you want. I am 230 lbs and 5' 11" about 10% body fat so I get some of the frustrations with being "too big" for TKD. I have done Muay Thai and BJJ in addition to my TKD training. I felt that they tended to be a good fit for stronger guys when it comes to sparring. There is more to TKD than sparring though. What about power breaking. That aspect of TKD is all about momentum and weight. Especially when you are breaking patio blocks on a stand. Forms can look really good too when there is a big guy doing powerful and clean techniques. There are lots of options out there you just have to decide if you have the dedication to perservere through the tough times to achieve your goals in every activity that you do. Heck I sparr heavyweight at all the tkd comps I go to. So I end up agains guys that are 6'3"-6'6" and I still place 1st or 2nd. Don't use size as an excuse to fail, and despite popular opinion you ARE in control of your physical fitness.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not 3rd degree.

Sometimes, there is no easy way to explain the fix. (You'll find this in body building, too...) Your movement isn't correct, but the only way you'll fix it is to understand both yourself and the technique. Understand isn't the best word, either... You have to see within yourself to understand what muscles are doing what, when; how to be loose, then tight, then loose again. And there's easy magic way to find that answer... It takes time, and training, and an instructor willing to tell you that you're wrong. And a student willing to hear this, and try to make it right.

At the moment, for whatever reason, it seems like part of that equation is missing.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Without knowing more about how long you have been with this instructor and what the deeper issues are (and it sounds like there are some), its hard to give you a good answer.

For me, I think most problems with instructors can be solved with these thoughts in mind:

If you don't trust your instructor to take you down the path you want, you need to change instructors.

If you trust your instructor, but just don't understand (or even like) what he is telling you right now, stay with him and trust him to get you through to the otherside (understanding).

If you know deep down he is taking care of you as a student, you just "shut up and do it" (that's how I was raised in the arts anyway!). If you don't then leave because neither one of you will succeed if the student doesn't trust (and thus listen to) the instructor.
That's my opinion.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Rabbit, best of luck in your voyage man.
Don't fret on things, you'll find the path you need.
Just keep challenging yourself to do better, to learn more, and keep going.
Tae kwon!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
You seem young. Like most young people you seem to have all the answers. You don't want to simply listen and do what is needed. Maybe you need to stop taking everything personal and do what is told. If he says "your side is wrong, fix it", how about you saying "YES SIR"! Then after that say please tell me what I am doing wrong SIR!

It takes two. So far with the attitude that you have shown here he may have given up on you.

So many come on here and express their side of things but there is always two sides to everything. I will never take what I hear at face value. And without seeing first hand and only getting one person says so, I can only try to read in between the lines.

I have only heard pure negative directed towards the teacher but nothing positive about what you do to make the situation better. That right there tells me something.

Your title says it all. "My instructor trains us to be tense/rigid". Unless the instructor said "I am going to teach you all to be tense and rigid", there is no way for you to know this, and it really make no sense. You cannot tell me other people&#8217;s thoughts.

You also say that he does not want anyone to get better than him. Again you are trying to tell me what someones thoughts are and you just can't do that. Most of my black belts at this point in my life are better than me. I can't stop that nor would anyone try to. I only can give the knowledge and it is up to that person to take it and progress or not. Only you can make yourself better or not.

The simple fact that your instructor told you that your side kick is wrong tells me that he is not trying to hamper you in any way. Now if you do the kick wrong and he says that was great keep doing it just like that, don't change a thing, well then I may think a bit different.

You need to look in the mirror and fist fix what you see in the mirror. You still have never told anyone what you rank is and that in itself raises concern. It has been asked multiple times. You create your profile with lies, for what reason no one knows but you. But you have already damaged your credibility because of this. If you lie about something so benign then what else will you lie about?

So because of all the things I have listed above you wll get no sympathy from me. I have 3 kids of my own, not to mention been teaching many many kids each day and I have learned to spot rather quickly someone that is simply looking for attention.

Latest Discussions