Howto catch/block a punch/kick in TKD?

Dutchy

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello

When I search for howto catch or block a punch or a kick in TKD I find a lot of information and the problem is that it is all different information. But how can I catch/block a punch at my head, my body or my legs?

Thanks and sorry for my poor English.
Dutchy

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Seriously there is no where to begin. A specific situation, we may be able to add variations and thats hoping that you have worked up to a basic skill set that we can add to.

Dave O.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Watch the one movie that explains it all:

Don't be there when the kick lands ^_^

So many kicks, so many targets, so many situation and you want one solution....

OP
D

Dutchy

White Belt
Reaction score
Sorry guys for being so unclear. I mean a standard kick that you learn when you start. It is so basic that I even can't find it. Well you use it to hit the ribs. Tomorrow I will go to Taekwondo and ask my teacher about how to block them and how they call it. I can remember it is called a cross but I am not sure. Sorry guys!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello

When I search for howto catch or block a punch or a kick in TKD I find a lot of information and the problem is that it is all different information. But how can I catch/block a punch at my head, my body or my legs?

Thanks and sorry for my poor English.
Dutchy
You catch them with your face of course.:BSmeter: I would worry more about getting off the line of attack before catching a blackbelt's punch, if it's still hanging out there, grab it.
Sean

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Against a front kick, it depends on the angle. If it's straight on, I'll usually just tuck in my elbow with my lead arm and absorb the kick with my arm. (This being from the hands up guarding position.) If they're angled more to the inside, I'd probably deflect with my rear palm if I couldn't just move.

Usually have a similar response to a side kick.

A high turning/round kick I'd either raise my lead arm, (so that my hand was almost over my ear so that my arm could absorb it) or stop it with my rear palm (better for setting up counters).

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When absorbing blows, create multiple points of contact.
Sean

Sound advice. Another thought for Dutchy: Be sure to move and get off the line of attack from the kick in addition to blocking. In fact, I would stress that more than the block itself if I had to make a choice.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
evading is a great option, a block should be use as a weapon of destruction when delivering them.

xfighter88

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Getting off of the line of attack either by leaning or stepping to the side makes it a lot easier to block. Catching is really hard to do and probably won't happen in real life.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howto catch/block a punch/kick in TKD?
A catch or block begins with first contact. If I was to brake down the process.
(1) Stationary basic blocking.
(2) Moving back and blocking.
Once the timing is practiced, and there is a comfort level of incoming techniques, it is easier to, catch/block as you call it.
(3) Moving past the blocking phase of training, we learn a more indirect way of (blocking) which is redirecting an incoming technique while we move off line of attack, preferable from the outside of their arm or leg.

The highest level, which would take many years of practice, is the "no blocking phase". Simply not being where your opponent expects you to be. It deals with positioning, and grasping the higher ground. Many people stay at the above number (1) and number (2) of their training. :asian:

OP
D

Dutchy

White Belt
Reaction score
I mean the kick that he does here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQYzk6KBw7c&feature=related at 0:25 the red one or even a better movie
around 0:48. How do you block a kick like that. And with evading you mean when he kicks with his right foot go to left? And how to defend yourself from a jab?

And another question if it's possible. Can punches like uppercuts and hooks also be used in sparring ITF?

Sorry for my poor English. I could not find a Dutch TKD forum yet :(.
Thank you very, very much!

Last edited by a moderator:

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well the first one is nothing more than a Fast Kick or front leg roundhouse, for us we teach something called Mr. Freeze and that is simple a down block followed with a punch to the solerplex, it will differently stop someone from throwing such a weak kick all the time.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For the second one to slip a jab one must know how to work footwork properly and learn distance training, forst slide back so the jab misses and counter with a good old solid push kick before the second jab comes. On the roundhouse kicks that one is easy slide to one direction and counter with a fast kick that has power under the other kick into the kidney area or the lower side of the body.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I mean the kick that he does here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQYzk6KBw7c&feature=related at 0:25 the red one or even a better movie
around 0:48. How do you block a kick like that. And with evading you mean when he kicks with his right foot go to left? And how to defend yourself from a jab?

And another question if it's possible. Can punches like uppercuts and hooks also be used in sparring ITF?

Sorry for my poor English. I could not find a Dutch TKD forum yet :(.
Thank you very, very much!

Ok, terryl has the greater experience....so listen good what he says. I do a different style, we do things a littl different.

First, the dude in the first video has on kick I suppose is to be round house/round kick. he has a little bit of speed, but uses the same kick over and over, after a while you can read it and just step out of his range (I did not watch the whole thing, maybe he did mix it up a bit later) or - depending (it all depends, really) how hard he kicks or how balanced he is you block the kick with your arm and ideally counter.

I'd probably block with my left arm and move in with my right, either kick or punch. (Kicking and punching is a matter of distance. Some people have great flexibility and stand nose to nose with you and still reach your leg, but for most kicks are a long range weapon and you have to get past the leg for punches. Personally I don't like to get up close, but that's girly me)

The second video was a wonderful example of a combo with a back leg round(house) kick. It's a strong kick, but since it has to travel a long way it's very visible and relatively easy to pick up and defend.

Here is the deal, in regard to the first video, there is a lot more to TKD than one flashy kick. I don't spar ITF or WTF rules, our game of tag has different rules. So we use combinations a lot. not just like the lady in the 2nd video, but many kicks with one leg. It's a favorite ofe my instructors, too. So we practice roundhouse kicks, 2, 3 or even up to 6 at one time without putting the foot down, many times to differnt levels. That puts a lot of stuff in our arsenal and makes it difficult at times to defend against.

And incidentally, your English is great. And be assured, among English speakers we get our tecniques mixed up since the names are not uniform away from the Korean.

Last edited by a moderator:

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Dutchy,
Much good advice above. I want to add two ideas: (jam and deflect)

You don't want to block the kick at its full extension and on the foot. That's the place with the greatest force, and it can break your bones.

*Best is always to not be there, which is a skill you'll improve.*

Next best, if you have to block, is to block further up the leg so you're countering less force.

Also, try to deflect (block so the kick glances off your block) rather than hitting it square. I broke my arm in September blocking a round kick square, and have since changed how I block so I deflect rather than try to stop a kick. Legs are more powerful than arms.

Good luck with your studies.
Carl

Latest Discussions