My First NPM Class

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I had my first NPM class last night and let me tell you, I thought I was in pretty good shape, NOT! The conditioning exercises at the beginning of the class were very tiring but fun. Coming from a Kajukenbo/kenpo background, I thought I would be fine and let me tell you I barely made it through the first class. I was suckin air quite a bit. After that, sifu showed us two defenses against a front guillotine choke hold. Those were pretty cool. I am pretty sore all over, cant wait till tomorrow night's class!

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I had my first NPM class last night and let me tell you, I thought I was in pretty good shape, NOT! The conditioning exercises at the beginning of the class were very tiring but fun. Coming from a Kajukenbo/kenpo background, I thought I would be fine and let me tell you I barely made it through the first class. I was suckin air quite a bit. After that, sifu showed us two defenses against a front guillotine choke hold. Those were pretty cool. I am pretty sore all over, cant wait till tomorrow night's class!

LOL! I sooooooo know the feeling. Felt the same way after my first SPM class. I woke up in the morning feeling fine...by the end of the day I was sooo sore. And I too thought I was in good shape when I started. Ha. And like you, I was hooked from that point on. :D Keep us posted.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
isn't it fun starting a new system and having to learn all those places on your body that hurt. :uhyeah:

keep us informed onhow you progress goes, please

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

YES!!!!

Welcome to the wonderful and usually PAINFUL :EG: world of traditional CMA training

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Haha, yeah that sounds about right. Usually we use the conditioning exercises to really "work out" and the rest is fighting and learning. Sounds like a good class, can I ask who you are training with and what style of NPM ?

7sm

OP
masherdong

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Haha, yeah that sounds about right. Usually we use the conditioning exercises to really "work out" and the rest is fighting and learning. Sounds like a good class, can I ask who you are training with and what style of NPM ?

Hi 7Star,

I am training with Sifu Whit McClendon. Here is a link to his bio.

http://www.jademountain.org/whit.html

I think it is Shandong Praying Mantis. I still dont know what the differences yet but just give me time and I will figure it out. :)

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
NICE! i remember i almost blacked out in the middle of my first class haha....
i cannot tell which mantis you practice, you probably do need to know your mantis heritage at some point. my guess is wah lum if he is related to Chan Pui. Btw, all northern mantis comes from shandong, this is where wanglang (founder of mantis) is from :)

OP
masherdong

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I am studying Taiji Plum Flower Mantis. My sifu says that he also has a lot of training in Wah Lum too. So, I now know what style I am doing. :)

Latest Discussions