My experience with American kenpo

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Fine, but a persons view of the world, has nothing to do with how you act around the public, unless you can't control yourself.

What are you talking about?

please bad guy can you please leave my house or not rob me? Please ? I'm hard liberal and I will not shoot you or beat you up at all!!! all I want is you to please leave. Here is hippie peace sign now go way bad guy!!!

You really think this will work?

Or guy that appears high on drugs or crazy mental person running around nude with knife.

Well obvious a group of armed thugs breaking in it will not matter how you play the game. A group of thugs looking for home invasion it will not matter if you come across like bleeding heart liberal or crazy mental person running around nude with knife. If you don't have gun or cannot hide or runway than there is not lot you can do and you may get shot.

But I'm talking the average one bad guy scenario. Well this would not work on group of armed thugs trying to rob you or break in.

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think it depends a lot on the criminal, his mindset and the situation. Maybe the robber is mentally unstable or on drugs - he may react in all kinds of ways. Or maybe he thinks that he has a better chance of getting away if he hurts you first.

There was a case in my town where a guy tried to fight a robber who was stealing his TV set, and the robber stabbed him and ran away. As far as I know, he was never caught.

Most of the break in my city are poor people, homeless and and drug addicts. But there have been thugs going around doing breaks ins and home invasion.

We have over 4,000 break in year in my city in year a lot better than older city I use to live in. Where we had over 15,000 break in year.

Going Steven Seagal or crazy mental person is not good idea with group of thugs. With one person okay, but with group you may get shot and it lot harder.

There is a reason why cops order robbers and burglars down at gun point with face down with leg crossed and palms up.

Not the Hollywood put your hand up onto the wall and do not move well I cuff you.

no I was talking the average one bad guy scenario.

Not lot you can do with many people as more there is better you have to be and more could go walk.

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think it depends a lot on the criminal, his mindset and the situation. Maybe the robber is mentally unstable or on drugs - he may react in all kinds of ways. Or maybe he thinks that he has a better chance of getting away if he hurts you first.

There was a case in my town where a guy tried to fight a robber who was stealing his TV set, and the robber stabbed him and ran away. As far as I know, he was never caught.

This is why I said in other thread if you go after bad guy with baseball bat or try to fight him you better have training and know how to fight him!!! Or he will grab your baseball bat and take it away from you and use it on you.

And baseball bats are really easy to be taken out of persons hand.

This is why I hate baseball bats and like stick, hanbo or baton way better. It lot harder to grab and taken out of persons had than a baseball bat.

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You'd rather fight the guy than leave and go find an easier house to break into?

You be surprised lot of cases where bad guys ran way from kids. A bad guy at front door and trying get in and see kid home alone and runway.

Lot of people breaking in do not want to get caught or want witness or take chances. Lot of break in are doing the day when people are at work.

There been cases where people turn on light or gone to front door and the bad guy runway.

Hollywood crime and real life crime like comparing apples to oranges.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What are you talking about?

please bad guy can you please leave my house or not rob me? Please ? I'm hard liberal and I will not shoot you or beat you up at all!!! all I want is you to please leave. Here is hippie peace sign now go way bad guy!!!

You really think this will work?

Or guy that appears high on drugs or crazy mental person running around nude with knife.

Well obvious a group of armed thugs breaking in it will not matter how you play the game. A group of thugs looking for home invasion it will not matter if you come across like bleeding heart liberal or crazy mental person running around nude with knife. If you don't have gun or cannot hide or runway than there is not lot you can do and you may get shot.

But I'm talking the average one bad guy scenario. Well this would not work on group of armed thugs trying to rob you or break in.
That is nice, but it has nothing to do with what I was talking about. I was still stuck on Law Officers having an us against them mentality.

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That is nice, but it has nothing to do with what I was talking about. I was still stuck on Law Officers having an us against them mentality.

Yea it was one of the poster that turn it around how the public deal with criminals vs police deal with criminals is very different. Just like other factors one criminals vs many criminals is in side your home or on the street will have different game plan.

Most self defense class teach you to runway or scare the bad guy away. So this why I thought it was strange the poster not hear yelling or screaming in martial arts class or self defense where he goes to.Like what city or area he goes to that there is no yelling or screaming in his martial arts class or self defense.

Well obvious police officer dealing with some robber or burglar you going to be laying face down on the ground at gun point with your leg crossed and palms up.

But I think you where getting at is good cop vs bad cop what works on criminal being good cop or bad cop.

Lot of police training today are teaching de-escalation training than how police did things in the 90's and before.

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Also lot also dependence on the area of the city, type of officer, department rules and type of call.

A area with low crime, good area, how you talk to officer and the type of officer may deal with the investigation where you standing up not cuffed.

In high crime area and how you talk to the officer you will be cuffed sitting down on the ground or in back seat of the police car well the officer does the investigation.

Tired_Yeti

Green Belt
Reaction score
Now this isn't a post to bash the style because I do believe kenpo is a great and effective style. I'm simply commenting on the club I trained at which was not good and just not a nice place and I wanted to share my experiences. So I hope no kenpo people or traditional martial artists take offence.

But the school I trained at it felt more like a cult. If any of the higher students who'd been there a while missed even 1 lesson they'd talk so much trash about them behind their back. One of the assistant instructors didnt come one night because it was his mums birthday and they were so nasty about that calling him a mummy's boy and an idiot etc.

Also one thing I didnt like was the hero worship they give to the higher level belts I mean they talk about them like their gods and can't do anything wrong. I know some may not find this a big deal but it just made me cringe.

The main problem though was it was a high amount of...well not bullying but not any consideration. Like when practicing techniques they'd hit hard literally full contact to the groin and if they were doing that and the student moved or flinched they'd get told off for it.

There was one black belt there a young guy 22 he was at the time a 2nd dan and he was a horrible person if someone had upset him he'd beat them up with the techniques hitting 100%. It was kind if knowledge if he was upset try and avoid him in line because he'd go hard even if it wasnt you who'd upset him. Another time a guy threw an attack for a techique and it wasnt a great attack because I think the guy was nervous about getting smacked so he didnt commit and that the guy annoyed and instead of either adjusting and making it work or asking him to do it again he simply booted him hard in the groin and said do the attack or you'll get that.

The worst thing I saw from him through was in sparring he was sparring a teenage student about 15 maybe and he got caught with a kick that knocked him. Instead of smiling and saying good job he simply walked over in no stance and threw a hard punch in the kids face not even sparring like just like he was pissed and wanted to hurt him.

Not long after that I quit. It was just not a nice atmosphere and I was constantly on edge. It has soured me on traditional martial arts. I do understand that most schools are not like that at all but yeah it wasn't a good place but I did enjoy the style. Just thought I'd share my experiences.

#1 American Kenpo is not a traditional martial art. It's a modern hybrid of ideas. Please don't base your opinion of traditional Okinawan karate on what you saw at your Am. Kenpo dojo.

#2 and more importantly--It's sounds more like you were training in Ameri Do Te. In which case, it was appropriate for the instructor to kick students in the jewels. Master Ken says you should always re-stomp the groin.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
#1 American Kenpo is not a traditional martial art. It's a modern hybrid of ideas. Please don't base your opinion of traditional Okinawan karate on what you saw at your Am. Kenpo dojo.

#2 and more importantly--It's sounds more like you were training in Ameri Do Te. In which case, it was appropriate for the instructor to kick students in the jewels. Master Ken says you should always re-stomp the groin.

No I wasn't it was a good school just with one bad person I know you don't like the style but don't use my post as a way to insult the style

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is why I said in other thread if you go after bad guy with baseball bat or try to fight him you better have training and know how to fight him!!! Or he will grab your baseball bat and take it away from you and use it on you.

And baseball bats are really easy to be taken out of persons hand.

This is why I hate baseball bats and like stick, hanbo or baton way better. It lot harder to grab and taken out of persons had than a baseball bat.

I have tried it with a nerf bat. And honestly really easy is not the term i would use.

Tired_Yeti

Green Belt
Reaction score
No I wasn't it was a good school just with one bad person I know you don't like the style but don't use my post as a way to insult the style

Watch "Enter The Dojo" on YouTube then you'll get the joke.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You be surprised lot of cases where bad guys ran way from kids. A bad guy at front door and trying get in and see kid home alone and runway.

Lot of people breaking in do not want to get caught or want witness or take chances. Lot of break in are doing the day when people are at work.

There been cases where people turn on light or gone to front door and the bad guy runway.

I think there's a difference between a scenario where the bad guy is not in your house yet, and one where you catch him after he's already in your house.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Watch "Enter The Dojo" on YouTube then you'll get the joke.

I know what It is and the whole point of it is ameridote is a rubbish martial art

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most self defense class teach you to runway or scare the bad guy away. So this why I thought it was strange the poster not hear yelling or screaming in martial arts class or self defense where he goes to.Like what city or area he goes to that there is no yelling or screaming in his martial arts class or self defense.

Well obvious police officer dealing with some robber or burglar you going to be laying face down on the ground at gun point with your leg crossed and palms up.

But I think you where getting at is good cop vs bad cop what works on criminal being good cop or bad cop.

Lot of police training today are teaching de-escalation training than how police did things in the 90's and before.

I don't know what sort of 'self defence' class you go to but it sounds extremely strange much like most of your posts about policing, crime and now self defence which are lurid fantasies. How many people do you think spend the time screaming and shouting as self defence? Some of your sentences in this post make absolutely no sense whatsoever. Police were taught ;de escalation in the nineties and the eighties and the seventies and the sixties, in fact it's always been there. You know nothing absolutely nothing.

I do wish you would stop posting up things you think are true about policing and really aren't.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions