My 3rd dan kendo test and a note to those who observe lent...

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
....never take a third dan testing on a Friday during lent!

I did that last night. I passed (yay!) but I ran out of energy about halfway through the test. As a practicing Catholic, during lent, I can have no meat on Fridays and can only have the equivalent of one full meal.

I had a bowl of cereal in the morning, went to work from 8-4, then a protien bar before the test.

It started off with reciting my essay (3 pages) and answering numerous technical questions, vocabulary, all forms, and all techniques. Not only was I testing for third dan, but I was also to receive my instructor's certificate through my GM's organization.

After forms and technique, it was extremely physical. I had to do a full warm up, calisthenics, and 100 haya suburi. My first dan test required me to do 400, but this time, the sparring was much more demanding. It was a solid hour of sparring. And no lightweights either. A second dan who's as big as myself and less than half my age, Master Choi, who is fifth dan and GM Kim, who is 9th dan.

The first half an hour to forty minutes of sparring was all Nito in addition. The last twenty minutes or so was with one shinai. No break in between matches; they just rotated in and out.

But, it was a worthwhile test! I passed! Then I went home and had the rest of my full meal in the form of half a pizza!

Daniel

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Way to go!
I am not Catholic, but for what is it worth, I have many Catholic friends who would have "cheated" on their religious obligations for things less important than a third dan test. I think it shows tremendous character that you didn't forget what was really important to you that Friday night.
Congrats again!

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations Daniel, Well done!!!
icon14.gif

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations Daniel!!!!!

Had I known you were going to test last night, I woulda had an extra piece of fish in your honor at St. Clare's:ultracool

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Daniel, there aren't many posts that leave me speechless...but yours was certainly one of them. You are certainly a person of tremendous strength and character. At a time when it seems as if what only matters is self-indulgence of some form or another, your news is incredibly refreshing. Congratulations to you :asian:

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks, Carol, but I don't consider my character to be any better than anyone else's. I was just kicking myself for telling GM Kim that Friday was "Just fine" when he asked me to move it from this coming Tuesday to this past Friday.

Ah well, live and learn.:)

Daniel

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
congradulations on your accomplishment!

I have to beat my teacher in a sword fight to pass the thrid dan test. I'm not in a rush.

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well done firstly on honoring your lenten abstinence and fasting. (I'm Catholic also.)

and

secondly................

on...................

Passing your Test
icon12.gif
:asian:

Michael