Music and Practice

Myles_Lonell

White Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone else here like to listen to music while you practice your art?
If so, what type of music? Just curious...

kodo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As a musician studying for a degree in music therapy, I must admit that I think every situation has a perfect piece of music to accomany. It all depends on what I'm doing. When I meditate, I like slow, calm music. Of course, if the melody is too bold or singsongy, I end up singing along! When I practice technical stuff, I like inspiring music. How about yourself?

bujuts

Green Belt
Reaction score
Myles_Lonell said:

As strang as it sounds...

bluegrass

Salute,

StevenBrown
UKF

kodo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That doesn't sound strange at all. You can take a chord progression from a bluegrass piece and find it in a jazz standard. You could also takethat samepiece, and find the same rhythm in a gangsta rap piece. In a world as big as music, it would be strange for me to say the bluegrass thing is strange.

Not to sound like a wiseman or anything.
DK

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If I am doing bag work or kicking drills on my own hard, tech or Tribal house, trance, some breakbeat and some techno.

painstain

Green Belt
Reaction score
i listen to all types of music but when i train i like easy listening or medium rock.

painstain

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
green meanie said:
We like to play music that really bangs when we train: Disturbed, Godsmack, Drowning Pool, etc. :)

I 2nd those suggestions!! Nothing like some music like that to really get you in the mood to train hard!:ultracool

Mike

OP
M

Myles_Lonell

White Belt
Reaction score
kodo said:
As a musician studying for a degree in music therapy, I must admit that I think every situation has a perfect piece of music to accomany. It all depends on what I'm doing. When I meditate, I like slow, calm music. Of course, if the melody is too bold or singsongy, I end up singing along! When I practice technical stuff, I like inspiring music. How about yourself?

I definately like inspiring music also. A song that has a good kick or climax is my favorite though. I listen to a lot of orchestrated movie soundtracks... (John Williams, Harry Gregson-Williams, James Newton Howard are my favorite composers). I definately agree with you when you say "every situation has a perfect peice of music to accompany it." A little off topic, but, wish me luck! I am going on my first plane ride to Colorado Springs, CO tomorrow morning for a Church Youth conference, "Higher Things". I am really excited about the plane ride!!! I can't wait.
-Myles

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
green meanie said:
We like to play music that really bangs when we train: Disturbed, Godsmack, Drowning Pool, etc. :)

I third that!

My old TSD dojang played music while training, but it was usually dance stuff ... yuk. My second school ... none ... no fun. My dojang now plays music. It depends on who's teaching. If it's Mr D, it's classic rock. If it's his son, it's movie sound tracks. If it's his daughter, it's pretty much what we want to hear. But we all have to agree on it.

When I train at home, I pretty much play the same stuff as green meanie.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Myles_Lonell said:

When studying Ying Jow Pai at Rothrock's they always had music playing. As a child, 20+ years ago I studied with Master Rothrock and they played pop music. I remember hearing "Eye of the Tiger" on the radio. Now of course there was a long gap in between my training.. About 18 years. They always play Enya or some chinese easy listening disk now.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Myles_Lonell said:

Of course, aside from my silly story.. I listen to metal. Supultera, Carnivore, The Jesus Lizard, Rage Against the Machine. Anything hard and aggressive.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
I'll generally try to have something with no words and a solid beat with which to train. (Trance/tecno/goa/darkwave/etc...)

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
when i train in my basement i just put my computer on yahoo music. 80's rock station and do my thing.
icon10.gif

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
kodo said:
Yes my friend this is a clever observation :) and a quick look at the responses most are aggressive and ANGRY and of course I am partial to a little NOISE myself and understand this but there is also a time during training for MORE THOUGHT and we got everything blasting from Brian Eno to Radiohead to classical and flamenco for a little passion and speed to Wu Man or some trad oriental stuff.. yeah lots of music for lots of different types of training.. music gives the extra dimension which I think perhaps sometimes folk forget and are too busy blasting big meaty beats and whatever :D to think bout that.. ;)

oh incidentally for some right proper banging sounds two of the best KATA-TO-NOIZE ratios naturally hail from England, ha! Blur "Song 2" and Lemmy reminding us all we need is the "Ace of Spades" go BLAST 'em right now and shout a pleasant good morning to your neighbours for me, ha!

Be good..
Jenna from the block (dont be fooled by these socks that I got)

Latest Discussions